Axe 2 arrives tomorrow! Need quick-start advice on MFC/ Axe Edit connects

krcassid

Inspired
It arrives tomorrow! The big brown truck is coming my way!

I'm hoping that a couple of you guys with similar setups can help me with best connection options. A few things peculiar to my Axe Ultra use previously:

1.) I work almost entirely out of Ax Edit (have never touched the front of my Ultra)

2.) Axe is connected directly to my main studio, Pro Tools HD3 via AES out to Lynx Aurora 16 where I can route to varoius FRFR speaker/ monitor setups

3.) I've had to sacrifice using MFC and Axe Edit together (a real drag for my work flow) but understand this is over tomorrow!

4.) My "Axe Laptop" in live room controls Axe Edit and a few other things in my rig via a 4 x 4 midi interface. It also has Pro Tools 10 on it but most recording is done on HD system.

So, how to configure my new Axe 2???

A.) I will continue to run AES to Lynx/ PT HD for main studio (can't use USB because PT HD will not see it)

B.) I'm thinking of simultaneously connecting Axe 2 to laptop via USB both for Axe Edit and in case I want to grab some tracks on Pro Tools 10 w/o firing up whole studio (and when on the road).

c.) Axe will connect to MFC w/ RJ45 w/o midi cables.

D.) If Axe 2 is connected to laptop via midi-over-USB, Axe Edit will connect this way?

E.) Can I still run midi in to Axe from main PTHD rig to sync tempo even though I am also conected to laptop/ Axe Edit via Midi over USB?

This last question is my main concern. I want to connect 2 computers to AXE 2. Laptop will simply run Axe Edit (via USB) but could function on it's own if I chose to record audio over USB. But, normal deal will be to record audio on main PT HD rig via AES while syncing tempo via midi input to Axe from PT HD.

I know: it sounds a little complicated. I swear I read the manual and it doesn't talk about using 2 computers, 1 for digital I/O & tempo, the other for Axe Edit, and sending midi to MFC simultaneously via RJ45. Can I do this? Theroretically, it should be OK, right? But, I may be asking too much of Axe 2 to respond to and send midi to 3 different devices simultaneously via 3 "channels" (USB, RJ45 and regular midi in).

Questions:

Will Axe 2 accept midi tempo (via midi in) from PTHD computer while sending/ recieviing midi over USB for Axe Edit on laptop?

Will Axe clock to PTHD computer while connected to laptop via midi over USB?

Will midi I/O to/ from MFC complicate midi from either of 2 computers above?

If above causes issues, I assume I can just do what I am doing now and run Axe Edit via regular midi from Axe but then I lose ability to sync tempo to main studio computer.

Sorry for long post but I'm hoping some good answers will save me a boatload of time figuring this out the hard way. If not, I'll let you guys know in a few weeks when I'm done with experiments.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom