AX8/Xitone Open-Back review

Knobs McGee

Inspired
Even though I haven’t posted much on the Fractal forum, I want to take a few minutes to share a review of my new Fractal/Xitone rig. Sorry in advance, for the wordy post…it’s my way.

I just played the forth gig with my AX8 and second gig with my Xitone powered Open-Back FRFR yesterday. First off, my AX8 is nothing short of amazing! I’ve been a Line 6 user for years, starting with a Flextone II amp back in the late 90s. Because the bands I’ve worked with tend to do a wide variety of material, covering a lot of genres, (Beatles to Steely Dan to Tonic) I need a lot of different tones and effects available at the press of a footswitch. The Line 6 modelers had given me this, but at the loss of many of the nuances that come from playing through quality effects pedals and a real tube amp. The AX8 has changed that.

The clarity and three-dimensional character of great effects along with the warmth, punch and dynamics of SO many vintage and modern amps is all there. Really, with some programming, the AX8 provides an “idealized” representation of the gear stored in this fantastic little box. I’m also enjoying consistency of tone that I’ve had from stage to stage, regardless of venue acoustics or variations in AC line voltage. The convenience of plugging straight into the board, instead of micing my amp is another big benefit. I’ve received many compliments from friends, whose ears I trust, and even from general audience members. It’s comforting to know that the tones are just as warm, punchy and clear through the mains as what I’m hearing on stage. I can also tell you that I’m getting THE most realistic acoustic guitar tones that I’ve ever gotten live by using the AX8 (using a semi-hollow Carvin AE185 with acoustic bridge pickup). The (forum member’s) IR block that I inserted in my acoustic presets delivers astonishingly realistic acoustic resonance. It’s such a time and back saver not having to bring a separate rig just for acoustic guitar tones. To sum it up, I think that Fractal has created a real compact and portable game-changer for guitarists of all styles.

I’ve got to give a big shout-out to Mick at Xitone Cabs and his brilliant 1-12 Open-Back powered cab. Although the cab is small and light, it delivers a much bigger, more focused and consistent sound than I was getting using my previous tube combo amps, using one or sometimes two 12s in larger cabinets. This cab still provides the airy, wide soundstage that I’m used to from open-back combo amps. It has a wide sweet spot and allows the other musicians on stage to hear me clearly. Even when using the humbuckers in my Carvin, the lows are round and full but never flabby. The Xitone also reproduces the chime of my Taylor Solidbody (with single-coil EMGs) and the zing of the “acoustic” output of my Carvin, with all the sparkle but never sounding shrill or strident. The presets that I dialed in using our Yamaha DSR115 PA mains and fine-tuned on studio monitors, sound just as sweet through the Xitone, without any additional tweaking.

At the gig we played yesterday, the temperature was in the low-90s and we had direct sunlight coming from behind us for the first set and a half. We had both of our powered mains shut down from sunlight pounding directly on the plate amps of our active mains (the sub was shaded and kept working) but the Xitone soldiered on without missing a beat (so to speak).

I also have to tell you what a pleasure it’s been working with Mick. What a great dude!! He’s been very responsive to my constant barrage of questions and his responses showed his vast knowledge and insight into building world-class FRFR cabinets. Mick also has a great sense of humor which kept our communications light-hearted and entertaining. Thanks Mick…love ya man!!!

Lastly, I have to give a BIG thanks to YOU, the golden-tone prospectors of the Fractal forum. It was you, and your insightful posts, who convinced me to make the move to Fractal and also turned me on to the aural-gurumanship of Mick Farlow and Xitone Cabs. Thank you all for your shared knowledge and support!! Thanks to you guys (and gals), I’m looking forward to years of tonal nirvana!!!

Thanks again,

Knobs

Mick is making me a closed back FRFR Cab as we speak. He has been really helpful and informative on all the questions I have been asking him and the guy answers any e-mail you send him at any time of day.

I use two 1X12 Xitone wedges in stereo with my AX8 and I couldn't be happier. Plus, as it has been mentioned, Mick is a gem of a guy to deal with.

Last edited:
Even though I haven’t posted much on the Fractal forum, I want to take a few minutes to share a review of my new Fractal/Xitone rig. Sorry in advance, for the wordy post…it’s my way.

I just played the forth gig with my AX8 and second gig with my Xitone powered Open-Back FRFR yesterday. First off, my AX8 is nothing short of amazing! I’ve been a Line 6 user for years, starting with a Flextone II amp back in the late 90s. Because the bands I’ve worked with tend to do a wide variety of material, covering a lot of genres, (Beatles to Steely Dan to Tonic) I need a lot of different tones and effects available at the press of a footswitch. The Line 6 modelers had given me this, but at the loss of many of the nuances that come from playing through quality effects pedals and a real tube amp. The AX8 has changed that.

The clarity and three-dimensional character of great effects along with the warmth, punch and dynamics of SO many vintage and modern amps is all there. Really, with some programming, the AX8 provides an “idealized” representation of the gear stored in this fantastic little box. I’m also enjoying consistency of tone that I’ve had from stage to stage, regardless of venue acoustics or variations in AC line voltage. The convenience of plugging straight into the board, instead of micing my amp is another big benefit. I’ve received many compliments from friends, whose ears I trust, and even from general audience members. It’s comforting to know that the tones are just as warm, punchy and clear through the mains as what I’m hearing on stage. I can also tell you that I’m getting THE most realistic acoustic guitar tones that I’ve ever gotten live by using the AX8 (using a semi-hollow Carvin AE185 with acoustic bridge pickup). The (forum member’s) IR block that I inserted in my acoustic presets delivers astonishingly realistic acoustic resonance. It’s such a time and back saver not having to bring a separate rig just for acoustic guitar tones. To sum it up, I think that Fractal has created a real compact and portable game-changer for guitarists of all styles.

I’ve got to give a big shout-out to Mick at Xitone Cabs and his brilliant 1-12 Open-Back powered cab. Although the cab is small and light, it delivers a much bigger, more focused and consistent sound than I was getting using my previous tube combo amps, using one or sometimes two 12s in larger cabinets. This cab still provides the airy, wide soundstage that I’m used to from open-back combo amps. It has a wide sweet spot and allows the other musicians on stage to hear me clearly. Even when using the humbuckers in my Carvin, the lows are round and full but never flabby. The Xitone also reproduces the chime of my Taylor Solidbody (with single-coil EMGs) and the zing of the “acoustic” output of my Carvin, with all the sparkle but never sounding shrill or strident. The presets that I dialed in using our Yamaha DSR115 PA mains and fine-tuned on studio monitors, sound just as sweet through the Xitone, without any additional tweaking.

At the gig we played yesterday, the temperature was in the low-90s and we had direct sunlight coming from behind us for the first set and a half. We had both of our powered mains shut down from sunlight pounding directly on the plate amps of our active mains (the sub was shaded and kept working) but the Xitone soldiered on without missing a beat (so to speak).

I also have to tell you what a pleasure it’s been working with Mick. What a great dude!! He’s been very responsive to my constant barrage of questions and his responses showed his vast knowledge and insight into building world-class FRFR cabinets. Mick also has a great sense of humor which kept our communications light-hearted and entertaining. Thanks Mick…love ya man!!!

Lastly, I have to give a BIG thanks to YOU, the golden-tone prospectors of the Fractal forum. It was you, and your insightful posts, who convinced me to make the move to Fractal and also turned me on to the aural-gurumanship of Mick Farlow and Xitone Cabs. Thank you all for your shared knowledge and support!! Thanks to you guys (and gals), I’m looking forward to years of tonal nirvana!!!

Thanks again,

Knobs
Hi could you possibly share the IR block that you referred to in your write-up? I'd love to try it out, sounds like it may be really useful for the acoustic/electric duo gigs I occasionally do. Would really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom