Ax8 With FRFR

316ms

Inspired
Curious, I read in the set up menu of the ax8, " the ax8 will benefit the guitarist and sound best thru a FRFR set up..So I go to Guitar Center to possibly buy one to see if if it is indeed beneficial,and the pro audio department states, no this type speaker is not what you want for that application..so my question is..can I get a decent idea what it will sound like if I were to try a mid level type frfr,like an alto or trusonic? I do realize the ones especially tailored like automic,friedman,matrix and a few others may be more fun and better period..I would like to try a mid level to see if I want to order up one of the pro units..and I imagine the power amp and speaker Sims need to be set to "on to run thru an FRFR? Thanks

Short Answer: it will be fine. Leave pa and cab sim on, I run through an alto right now and it sounds great.

Better answer : search the forum. I'm sure there is at least 75 threads on this topic. Start in the amp and cabs sub forum.

Yes, amp/speaker sims need to be on. Also, take advantage of the return policy when possible. Try one FRFR speaker out for a week or two, then return it and try another one until you find what meets your needs/price point.
Better yet, see if you can set up a time to bring your AX8 into the store so you can try and compare several FRFR speakers at the same time. Works better if you know, or are familiar with, someone that works there already.

Moral of story...GC employees don't always know the answers, even if they say they do.
I have an Alto TS112A and a CLR...I've used my AX8 with both.
The Alto will give you a good idea of how an FRFR works...the CLR will give you a better experience.

Ok so there is one called a Harbinger, is a 15 with 600 watts..it's just for an idea of how it sounds,would it be worth a try Asa guinea pig? Then I could have evidence of what a more advanced one sounds like?

Ok so there is one called a Harbinger, is a 15 with 600 watts..it's just for an idea of how it sounds,would it be worth a try Asa guinea pig? Then I could have evidence of what a more advanced one sounds like?

Yeah, why not. The best way to make an informed decision is to try them out yourself. Ultimately it is going to be part of your entire signal chain, so what may work well for other people, won't necessarily translate well to your specific setup.

If someone could post a clip of the ax8 with an frfr, anything on youtube currently is far from convincing..seems very obvious it's some hybrid type sound..the ones with power amp and speakers sound real..not throwing stones,I want to bond with an frfr,it's easier,smaller and would be perfect..but sound matters most..I'm not finding anything that doesn't sounding harsh and processed

post the clips you are referring to...tbh i haven't heard anything like what you're saying.

how will you be monitoring your sound? bedroom use or live/gigging? do you like the sound of one cab and one or two speakers or do you want to be able to mix and match cabs and speakers whenever you want?

i use a CLR with my Axe, have since they were released...it sounds far from harsh and processed, but it doesn't sound like a guitar cab. it never will, it's not meant to. you are hearing a close mic'd sound, not a cab hitting your knees. that's usually the biggest adjustment because most guitarists never listen to their tones with their ears where a mic would be....but that's what your tone really sounds like.

post the clips you are referring to...tbh i haven't heard anything like what you're saying.

how will you be monitoring your sound? bedroom use or live/gigging? do you like the sound of one cab and one or two speakers or do you want to be able to mix and match cabs and speakers whenever you want?

i use a CLR with my Axe, have since they were released...it sounds far from harsh and processed, but it doesn't sound like a guitar cab. it never will, it's not meant to. you are hearing a close mic'd sound, not a cab hitting your knees. that's usually the biggest adjustment because most guitarists never listen to their tones with their ears where a mic would be....but that's what your tone really sounds like.
Ahh clr is 1500 bucks..that's the price of another rig for one 12" no thanks

It does not really make sense to put a mic in the room, when you are running FRFR - You might as well just go straight to the audio interface.

@X-Mann has a few videos in this thread - here in particular is the Friedman FRFR recorded with an iPhone http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-pics-video-audio-review.114059/#post-1365229
All mixed..I'm talking the human ear..I don't hear a mixed sound or a micd cab with my ear...I can mic a cab and record it..not what I am talking about..if I heard what a mic hears I wouldn't play guitar to hear it being played I'd just play micd and listen to a pa.thanks

All mixed..I'm talking the human ear..I don't hear a mixed sound or a micd cab with my ear...I can mic a cab and record it..not what I am talking about..if I heard what a mic hears I wouldn't play guitar to hear it being played I'd just play micd and listen to a pa.thanks

But the point still remains - you are asking for a recording of an FRFR produced sound so you can judge it. The closest you could come is if someone has some very high quality mics in a room, so you can hear what it's like to be in that room. We've progressed in the signal chain down to the point where it's difficult to let others know how it sounds. Letting someone know how an amp sounds was pretty easy - SM57 close-miced, and record it. Or how a modeler sounds... direct output - record it. But now we've gotten to the output of the PA speaker. It's hard to get a representative recording of that.

^ This is why you will get better results comparing the various FRFR in a live setting, i.e. at a store, than you will listening to sound files on the web.

Well, I was on the same boat as you. I borrowed some xitone speakers from a friend but could not bond with it. I then spent some hours at a friend's place that has a CLR, but I didn't like it either. I won't say they sound bad because it is a matter of preference, but I greatly prefer using real guitar cabs to play. To me the sound I was getting weren't even recorded tones because I tend to like those. I can't put my words in how to describe what I was hearing. But it's best to try yourself and decide.

if I heard what a mic hears I wouldn't play guitar to hear it being played I'd just play micd and listen to a pa.thanks

This is is the whole premises of FRFR, Once you get your ear around this concept it will make more sense. If you are not accustomed to hearing a mic'd guitar cab through a monitor or you prefer an off axis guitar sound then FRFR might not be for you.

This however does not take away from the AX8 it just makes it a little less versatile and also means you are going to want a guitar cab instead of a FR monitor, hey no big deal! Get a clean power amp and your guitar cab of choice hook up, turn the cab sims off and go play! it will still rock.

I am not judging anything,I can make a clip with my phone and tube amp,sounds great.and is the way my ears hear it or somewhat very very close..the frfr isn't getting there..If it sounds good it should sound good, simple..shouldn't need any further help

That KS for making the clip,sounds good,very clear..probably as good as it is going to get..I have clips I have made with and with out a pa with a traditional cab and head,not even close to that..it's missing something..depth if I had to guess,not bass,not low end but just the fullness of a Baltic Burch cab..I want to hear it diffetntly,I dont,old school tube amp user..lots of amps,cabs thru the years..not looking for a quick fix..I'd rather use what works if it takes another 16 minutes to set it up..I'm just puzzeld fractal post this sounds best thru an frfr cab..I did an a/b test with a real amp and a 2x12..sounded almost identical..nothing like an frfr..it's all good I will just stay away from the frfr..wanted to go that route and is why I posted..thanks KS for all the input and help gents...keep rocking!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom