AX8 with Freidman ASM-12

This was good to read - as I am in the same boat. I am thinking about setting up a couple banks of my presets - ones for into the ASM12 and the others for going into backline amps. Just need to sit down and do it, but it will be nice to have the options.
Yup - that whole sitting down and doing stuff gets me every time - right up until I really need it ... hehehe

That's may be the case, what I've read is that by using a power amp and real speaker cabinet is the same as a real amp experience.

I tried that with the AX8 and that was not the case.

Keep in mind, this is only what I'm "reading" doesn't mean it's so.

Well, for one, everyone perceives things differently, however, if you run the Fractal through a FRFR speaker, and listen to it, then run the Fractal through a power amp (or use an amp head as a slave) and then through a cabinet as you would with an amp, there is a noticeable difference
I don't know the scientific reasoning, but it boils down to the fact that the FRFR speaker will hit other frequencies that the guitar cabinet cannot. It is a simple fact

This doesn't mean you will like the sound better, but there is a difference.

Reading through some other threads got me thinkin' about my use of the ASM-12 - I know it has the option on the bottom to go up on a speaker stand. Does anyone use it like this? Or put it up on a chair or anything?

I have only had one gig now with it, and had it behind me and on its side for the tilt-back (to help fill the stage). Its funny as the cab is so bass heavy at home and in our practice space, but I found myself wanting to turn off the low-cut. I never did, and recordings I heard later made me happy with how things were in the mix.

Anyway, anyone keep it up off the ground?

Nope - never have. I mostly use it like you have - tilted back.

Spaces make such a difference. Normally i sit next to the bass player and in our rehearsal space, my sound is a bit mid-rang heavy. I decided to hire a practice room for the afternoon and invited a friend down to help me tweak my sound. When I played the first few chords I was shocked at how good it sounded. I loved it all over again. :) I ended up playing it through the rehearsal POA just to see how that compared and I tweaked the global EQ a bit to ramp down some of the frequencies below 125k - just a bit and used that sound last night. I spent some time balancing all of the patch levels to be between -3db and -4db and the solo levels to be around 0db. When I gigged last night I was over the moon with my sound and everything. This unit is incredible.

How do you guys connect to the ASM if you are sending Stereo XLR to FOH ??

The ASM only has XLR input correct ?

You mean OUT 2, via 1/4 inch ??? How do you do that ? ASM has only XLR inputs rom what i see..... ?

I try to avoid adapters as long time solutions, feels like an extra point risk for losing your signal. I just use a 1/4 inch to xlr cable.

Back
Top Bottom