AX8 with Boss Katana MKII

Do_chay

Hi Everyone,

I recently read about the preamp in feature that was added to the Boss Katana and at $200 I had to bite, so I bought one for my AX8 to try for home practice. I have been using one of the Bose S1 Pro speakers as my almost "FRFR" and it's been pretty great since you can Bluetooth your phone to one of the other channels to play along with stuff, but always wondered if I was missing something as it's not really designed for preamps, more an acoustic use case.

So I got the Boss and followed all the poweramp/guitar cab setup steps I've found on youtube for the AX8 (ie -10db output/cab sim off/Boss master cracked to 10/resonant freq eq) and wow it sounds terrible. I play a silver sky and the straty sparkle is just reduced to a horrible distorted metal scraping sound with all my Austin Buddy basic presets. I feel like I must be getting something wrong with my settings. It sounds much better when I leave the cab sim turned on, but that doesn't seem like it should make sense either. Has anyone else tried this with the Katana and found a recipe to get a decent tone? Obviously I know I shouldn't have super high expectations for a cheap setup like this, but just wanted to ask before I return it. Maybe I'll try one of those headrush FRFRs instead to see if it's any better than the Bose S1. Thanks for any and all tips!

Have not tried that setup with the Boss so not sure what the problem would be. Are going through the FX loop or into front of the MKII?

Just buy a HeadRush FRFR. I have two 108s and one 112. Plug and play. They sound great.

Back
Top Bottom