AX8 | What's the best allround amp?

ETOLKIEN,
I think I have made some REAL progress. I have been trying to conduct the experiment as you had suggested. First, I selected the modifier in the Amp block.....Upon selecting it, I brought up the "Edit Modifier: Amp -- Input Drive" [small] window.....specifying that the source of the control was to be "Scene 1" (I think they meant Scene Controller 1, but ran out of room). I THEN clicked Controller, then Scene, and brought up the Scene Controller screen (the one with the eight dials -- -- one for each of the eight scenes). I struggled with the Scene Controller not effecting anything for a while. Finally, I had an idea: Within the original "Edit Modifier" screen, BOTH the MIN and MAX control knobs were set to 10. I figured maybe those settings were over-riding the Scene Controller, so I left the MAX knob setting at 10, but I brought the MIN knob setting down to zero. And THEN the Scene Controller feature seemed to actually work! I set the input drive to three different levels in Scenes 1, 2, and 3 of the same Pre-set, and achieved three different input sounds. This was exactly the step I was trying to achieve.

So....lesson learned (I think): The MIN and MAX knobs in the "Edit Modifier" screen will OVER-RIDE the levels set in the Scene Controller.....one must first ensure sufficient variability (range) set in the Edit Modifier screen before trying the adjust with the Scene Controller. Or at least so I think.

I am really grateful for all the help.

Next (related) question: Suppose I want to turn the feature off? Or, perhaps, assign a different modifier to Scene (Controller) 1. Is there a way to "un-select" a modifier?

Next (related) question: Suppose I want to turn the feature off? Or, perhaps, assign a different modifier to Scene (Controller) 1. Is there a way to "un-select" a modifier?
Nevermind......I found a way: Inside the Controllers, then Modifiers screen,,,,,just select "None" among the list of options.

Gosh.....there is so much stuff inside of this unit....I'l never learn it all. But I really think I am making some progress.

Much thanks!

Last night I did most of my band rehearsal (Rolling Stones tribute) using the "Vibrato Verb", which is based on a '62 Fender Brownface amp. It's a preset that I put together with a user cab. I've been searching for a single, general purpose amp model that I could use for just about anything classic rock, and this one comes really close. It's got a thick saturation to it that sounds fantastic. The blackface version that came out later was Stevie Ray Vaughan's main amp.

I will persist.

Glad you got things working!

I *think* I may have gotten things to work one time, but I also had some issues with the Amp block "Input Drive" knob over-riding the individual Scene Controller levels.....it was like the Amp block [Input Drive] control was fighting against the individual [Input Drive] Scene Controller levels I set.....

When you change scenes the numerical value in the input drive knob don't change, but the knob moves and the sound changes, this is normal behaviour.

I struggled with the Scene Controller not effecting anything for a while. Finally, I had an idea: Within the original "Edit Modifier" screen, BOTH the MIN and MAX control knobs were set to 10. I figured maybe those settings were over-riding the Scene Controller, so I left the MAX knob setting at 10, but I brought the MIN knob setting down to zero.

When I set source to "scene1" the MIN knob is set to zero and the MAX knob is set to 10 by default, maybe you maxed the MIN knob previously? nevermind, now you have more knowledge, sometimes getting lost a little helps you to find the way.

Is there a way to "un-select" a modifier? Nevermind......I found a way: Inside the Controllers, then Modifiers screen,,,,,just select "None" among the list of options.

Now you're flying by yourself, yeah sometimes I download a preset that uses a modifier that I don't want, the best way to get rid of it is select source to "none".

Gosh.....there is so much stuff inside of this unit....I'l never learn it all. But I really think I am making some progress.

This is my exact feeling, the more I know about this unit the more I realize that Cliff has everything covered and very well thought, I have a hard time learning some things but going step by step is affordable and once assimilated it makes life much easier on a day by day basis.
Keep rocking my friend!

Last edited:
Glad you got things working!
......sometimes getting lost a little helps you to find the way.
Oh, I think I have the "getting lost" part pretty well-integrated into my skill set!

Thank you (and everyone else) for all of the help! Being able to use the Scene Controllers to adjust Input Drive and Master Volume between Scenes was critical to me being able to build my own functional Preset(s). I am gaining confidence with the AX8, and I am most grateful for all of the guidance.

I used to use the double verb but now I've gravitated to a Princeton and super reverbs. One scene uses a blues drive for mild OD and another one Zen Drive for more OD. Another scene x/y the amp block to a Bludotone other scenes have tremolo or ambient sounds. I really did my AX-8

I feel like I may have been responsible for prematurely killing this thread by pulling it too far off topic. For that, I apologize.

I find myself digging deeper into this very question: Using one all-around amp for clean-to-classic rock sounds. A couple of friends highly suggested "Fender Deluxe" as a possible model that would take drive pedals very well? (I always thought fenders were more known for thier clean tones?) I wondered if anyone had experimented with this amp model, and might be able to recommend a good dirt pedal and cab simulator for it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

There is a factory preset in Bank one or two that featured the deluxe. It has some great drive choices as well.

Im guilty of building too many presets using too many amps (first world problems) and things are a bit all over the place come gig/rehearsal time

The first preset I ever put together myself nearly 3 years ago when. I first got the Ax8 gets used as a bit of a test rig for setup tips

So after reading cliffs post about setting master volumes I went a played with my test preset
Bang!
Talk about nailing it, the preset always had that little something off and setting the mv right was certainly it
I had a great clean tone on scene 1 and the perfect crunch on 2 and a ballsier tone on 3, and etc etc

The amp?

Friedman Dirty Shirley v1

Same amp for cleans and dist with drives added

Gigged that night and did most of the night on one patch and really really happy
Nice ballsy classic Rock tones with the right blend of oomph and clarity and cut

Point being, firstly, the Dirty Shirley is a v versitile amp and secondly, optimising your settings is v important

Im guilty of building too many presets using too many amps (first world problems) and things are a bit all over the place come gig/rehearsal time

The first preset I ever put together myself nearly 3 years ago when. I first got the Ax8 gets used as a bit of a test rig for setup tips

So after reading cliffs post about setting master volumes I went a played with my test preset
Bang!
Talk about nailing it, the preset always had that little something off and setting the mv right was certainly it
I had a great clean tone on scene 1 and the perfect crunch on 2 and a ballsier tone on 3, and etc etc

The amp?

Gigged that night and did most of the night on one patch and really really happy
Nice ballsy classic Rock tones with the right blend of oomph and clarity and cut

Point being, firstly, the Dirty Shirley is a v versitile amp and secondly, optimising your settings is v important
Which cab works fine with dirty shirley?

Bang!

The amp?

Can you elaborate on what Cliff's post about setting master volumes is about?

I take a slightly different approach to this:

I use the C++ for all my sounds (Leon Todd's C++ settings). I can go from clean to full on heavy crunch using this model. I set the gain on the amp up for the maximum amount I need. I then run a volume block in front of the amp block with a scene controller attached to the level. I can then vary the amount of level hitting the amp block per scene. In effect the volume block is mimicking my guitar volume knob. I know I could use scene controllers on the Gain or Trim parameters, but using the volume block in this way sounds more natural to me. For my Lead sounds I just switch to the Y amp (exactly the same amp model and settings) which has the boost and fat switches engaged. It sounds glorious :cool:

Back
Top Bottom