AX8: what is "must have" IR ?

I bought a couple of cab packs. Didn't find anything better than the stock cabs. I tend to stick to the regular Cali cab that I used in my Ultra as well. It just works for metal.

I'm digging Cali Cab too... i've a preset that sounds perfect at home, dialed with that cab. I'm trying it tonight at band volume, i hope it will work as well as it does at home. thank you!

Factory IR's work fine UNTIL you hear the vastly better ones out there. Freman custom IR still stand head and shoulders above 4-5 other packs I've bought.

I don't think it makes sense to talk about a better IR. If two IRs are recorded well with the same resolution, they are equally good, but may have different EQ balances, that will suit different peoples' taste and different situations.

I think many of the stock IRs are easily the same quality as the third party IRs, I have bought, but there are only ~20 IRs in the stock cabs that are close to my taste. When I buy cab packs I get much more variety that all fits within my taste.
I tried to make it clear by saying "...better IR's FOR YOU... ". Whether or not you want to spend time searching for that perfect IR I think we can agree that with a Cab Pack you get a lot more options and most likely your ears are tuned a little different than other people's ears so "for you" there will be a better IR out there than stock cabs IMHO but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with quality. Just being able to really fine tune your sound is what I meant. It's not for everyone though.

@Marco Sarracino I have some experience with those Alto speakers. They are actually not the most ideal monitor for this use case but try tweaking the high and low cut settings in your Cab Block. I have mine set to 111hz for the low cut and 11111hz for the high cut when using speakers like this. The problem with the monitor is that it's voiced kind of mid scooped so you will get too much lows and too much presence. These high and low cut settings will make it more pleasing.

I tried to make it clear by saying "...better IR's FOR YOU... ". Whether or not you want to spend time searching for that perfect IR I think we can agree that with a Cab Pack you get a lot more options and most likely your ears are tuned a little different than other people's ears so "for you" there will be a better IR out there than stock cabs IMHO but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with quality. Just being able to really fine tune your sound is what I meant. It's not for everyone though.

Sorry, I missed the "For you" part :) I agree completely that more choices give you a better chance to find the perfect one for you.

@Marco Sarracino I have some experience with those Alto speakers. They are actually not the most ideal monitor for this use case but try tweaking the high and low cut settings in your Cab Block. I have mine set to 111hz for the low cut and 11111hz for the high cut when using speakers like this. The problem with the monitor is that it's voiced kind of mid scooped so you will get too much lows and too much presence. These high and low cut settings will make it more pleasing.

This is an incredibly useful piece of information mate, thank you! i'll try your high and low cut settings asap and report back. Btw, i spent sometime yesterday playing loud enough and using some mixed IRs (both stock cabs and some quality IRs) and i must say that now things seem to work way better! I had to raise the master volume in the amp block and with very little tweaking the tone was there. Thank you all for your inputs so far, you made my day!

My go to is always factory 161 and 162. EVH 4x12 cabs. Each by themselves is ok. But when combined together is the sound in my head. Or at least the sound I remember coming from my EVH halfstack. One is a little darker and the other a little brighter so when combined together... Perfect. That being said I have bought several hundred dollars worth of IR's since I first got my Axe back in 2013. I like to have options.

Last edited:
Recently I started using the 4x12 Pre Rola 75 M160 and 4x12 V60 (can't remember the bank preset numbers) in stereo-- connecting to a XiTone and Friedman ASM-12. Lots of thump and clarity. Going to really crank it up this weekend.

This is an incredibly useful piece of information mate, thank you! i'll try your high and low cut settings asap and report back. Btw, i spent sometime yesterday playing loud enough and using some mixed IRs (both stock cabs and some quality IRs) and i must say that now things seem to work way better! I had to raise the master volume in the amp block and with very little tweaking the tone was there. Thank you all for your inputs so far, you made my day!
Wow that's great! I'm glad to hear you're getting good results. :)

Hey Guys, This is my first post. I just ordered an AX8 and had absolutely no intention of purchasing a cab pack for quite some time. However, as a result of what I would call a "special situation," the FAS guys are offering me a free cab pack from the FAS Produced ONLY library (Sorry, being new, I am unable to post links). As you can imagine, I am flying completely blind but would like to take advantage of the offer. I am not too worried about it to be honest, but if there is one that stands out as a good one for good clean tones (Gilmour, The Edge), Cab Pack 21 looks good, but what the heck do I know. I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

If you've bought a fractal you're already in the rabbit hole. Audition the factory cabs, figure out which speakers you like, buy a cab pack with more of that speaker so you can try different mics, mixes, etc. , then you can experiment with stereo cab, try delaying one side .06ms, try mixing in a back cab, with .1 delay, etc etc. , read the wiki for tips on this stuff.

I've read through this thread and it goes back a ways. In the earlier part of the thread people were talking about Cab Pack 20. Im not seeing that on the Fractal site. Has it been eliminated?

Once you've bought a Axefx or AX8 fractal receive no payment for all the firmware they give out for free.. all good will really. The extra cab packs are really cheap if you ask me and the tonal variations are quite amazing, and you are supporting this great company. Yes other 3rd party stuff is good to, I mostly use cab pack stuff, you can really dial in specific characteristics in a tone your trying to achieve. Rabbit hole... only if you want it to be. Once purchased you've got them for life to call on them if needed.

Once you've bought a Axefx or AX8 fractal receive no payment for all the firmware they give out for free.. all good will really. The extra cab packs are really cheap if you ask me and the tonal variations are quite amazing, and you are supporting this great company. Yes other 3rd party stuff is good to, I mostly use cab pack stuff, you can really dial in specific characteristics in a tone your trying to achieve. Rabbit hole... only if you want it to be. Once purchased you've got them for life to call on them if needed.

well firmware need to be free!!we paid a lot of money for their devices,is not like when you buy lets say final cut pro x that when i new version is release we pay for it,but all the updates are free.

well firmware need to be free!!we paid a lot of money for their devices,is not like when you buy lets say final cut pro x that when i new version is release we pay for it,but all the updates are free.

Really? All free indefinitely? I'm glad they have been so far. But If other companies such as car manufacturers for example offered free upgrades like fractal they would soon go out of business. You paid good money for a fantastic product but cliff and co have gone way over expectations really.

Back
Top Bottom