AX8 w/ wireless system on pedalboard

Maybe I need the Shure LOL... Ok, so build me a board...
PT Junior?
AX8
A single Mission EP-1
Vooddoo labs Pedal Power mounted underneath?
Could work?

Maybe I need the Shure LOL... Ok, so build me a board...
PT Junior?
AX8
A single Mission EP-1
Vooddoo labs Pedal Power mounted underneath?
Could work?

I'm curious about this as well. I have a PT Junior and only plan on using one expression pedal, the EP-1. My PT already has a Voodoo 4x4 mounted underneath. The only other thing I'd like on the board is my Line 6 G30 wireless.

Wondering if it will all fit or if I'll need to go up to a bigger PT model. Hmm...

If you are going wireless, skip the plastic g30. they are horrible in terms of build quality. The shure glxd is only slightly more expensive, and about 10x better in terms of build. Sound quality is phenomenal, i know the g30 is good for that, but the build quality of the transmitter is horrible. I have a g30 it's a piece of shit.

If you are going wireless, skip the plastic g30. they are horrible in terms of build quality. The shure glxd is only slightly more expensive, and about 10x better in terms of build. Sound quality is phenomenal, i know the g30 is good for that, but the build quality of the transmitter is horrible. I have a g30 it's a piece of shit.

Not going ... I've already went. Been using the G30 for the past few years with no problems at all. Haven't had any problem with the build quality as it stays on my strap and pedal board and I treat my gear with respect.

When I use a cable on stage (I'm active) I usually end up playing half the night with it under my feet and it hurts my feet after a while. Or it get stepped on by a band mate... I find a wireless MORE handy on a small stage than a big one. Though I always have a cable handy as an emergency back up...

same here, I hate things under my feet, especially cables. I would use a wireless if I was in a 1x1ft area.

Not going ... I've already went. Been using the G30 for the past few years with no problems at all. Haven't had any problem with the build quality as it stays on my strap and pedal board and I treat my gear with respect.
Me too...I keep hearing how terrible it is but I've had mine for a few years and couldn't be happier.
First thing I did was to remove the clip and get a neoprene pouch that mounts on the strap.
Best bang for buck wireless out there.

It's only terrible in build quality. pretty sure the Shure has better interference signal switching, and there's no arguing that the rechargable battery tech is amazing. I am sure you guys are just fine for now, but if you do have issues, there are options out there :)

Thought of this thread when I saw this. This wireless looks interesting. $299 I heard but I'm not sure if it's out yet. Check it out:

Be great for the AX8

My X2 transmitter bit the dust, so I bought a Shure GLXD system based on recommendations here. It arrived literally as I was leaving for the gig, so I put it on charge when I got there to set up. Within an hour or so it had enough charge to make the night (battery was partially charged from the factory)... actually reads hours and minutes of battery power remaining on the screen, which is awesome. Thought I was having some dropouts, but got enough time to read the manual before the show and saw I needed to have it search for open frequencies then pair the transmitter. Never a glitch after that. Looking forward to trying it on bigger stages this week. Also looking forward to not buying batteries.

As noted here, the receiver seems like most others I have used but the transmitter feels unusually solid and well made for a system in this price range, clearly better than the X2 it replaced. Hope it works as well as it seems on first go, I just bought a second transmitter for guitar #2.

My X2 transmitter bit the dust, so I bought a Shure GLXD system based on recommendations here. It arrived literally as I was leaving for the gig, so I put it on charge when I got there to set up. Within an hour or so it had enough charge to make the night (battery was partially charged from the factory)... actually reads hours and minutes of battery power remaining on the screen, which is awesome. Thought I was having some dropouts, but got enough time to read the manual before the show and saw I needed to have it search for open frequencies then pair the transmitter. Never a glitch after that. Looking forward to trying it on bigger stages this week. Also looking forward to not buying batteries.

As noted here, the receiver seems like most others I have used but the transmitter feels unusually solid and well made for a system in this price range, clearly better than the X2 it replaced. Hope it works as well as it seems on first go, I just bought a second transmitter for guitar #2.

Awesome. The thing is rock solid for sure! It's really great value, and the tuner is great. Battery life is intense. They say 16 hours, must be pretty close in real life. Recharge is fast, micro-usb. Everything is great. Scan when you get to your destination, and rock out. Couldn't be easier.

Thought of this thread when I saw this. This wireless looks interesting. $299 I heard but I'm not sure if it's out yet. Check it out:

Be great for the AX8

It appears that a very select few people have been using this product for a year or two. However, I don't see anywhere that you can purchase it, there is not even a link to buy it on the manufactures website. There is a phone number which I may call just to see what's up. Quite mysterious to say the least! I'm ready to pull the trigger for the Shure pedalboard unit to use with my AX8 when I get it. The supposed $299 price point on the WiC is attractive and the size is incredibly compact to fit in with the AX8 in a computer bag. Any additional info on this product is appreciated.

I've actually had good luck with G30s, bought it on a whim as I don't use a wireless unit at every gig, only for some few ones. The trick is to purchase a camera belt case -- Target sells one for $10, drill a hole and put this case on your guitar strap. This way there's less pressure on the plastic parts in a G30. The receiver is also less robust but so far it has worked well on my medium-sized pedalboard. It is also not so bulky and not receiver antennas so it fits well into a smaller pedalboard. It takes power from a Pedaltrain PP2+ with no problems.

As for reliability, works fine in even noisy environments (Wifi, neon lights.)

I've actually had good luck with G30s, bought it on a whim as I don't use a wireless unit at every gig, only for some few ones. The trick is to purchase a camera belt case -- Target sells one for $10, drill a hole and put this case on your guitar strap. This way there's less pressure on the plastic parts in a G30. The receiver is also less robust but so far it has worked well on my medium-sized pedalboard. It is also not so bulky and not receiver antennas so it fits well into a smaller pedalboard. It takes power from a Pedaltrain PP2+ with no problems.

As for reliability, works fine in even noisy environments (Wifi, neon lights.)

All those things apply to the GLXD, except: NO PLASTIC. No special tricks and pouches needed. No rigging required. No batteries needed. 16 hour battery life, with advance charge management. Micro usb charging. Advanced multi-channel transmit/scan/crossover. 2 way communication with receiver/transmitter, so the base shows you battery life left, so does the unit (to the minute). Also it's a great tuner. I power mine with pedal power 2. Takes 9v, 12v center positive, center negative. you can't really screw up basically. It does not take any more room than the g30 stuff, and you never have to worry about cracking it by stomping on it.

Did I mention 15 min charge gets you 1:15h? Full charge in 3 hours.

Moral of the story is (I have g30 too, it's just not even close to the same thing) g30 doesn't hold a candle to this new Shure GLXD.
I can post side by side shots if people need to see how inferior the G30 is.

You also need to take into account cost, GLX-Ds are nice but usually 2x the price of a G30 and as I said I don't use the wireless that much, mostly to check the sound of my system and in those cases they expect me to run around on stage. For that the G30 has done its work just fine. The battery life time is about two gigs (4+ hours) which is decent for my needs. Just avoid re-chargeable batteries, those introduce latencies.

Even if wireless digital technologies are nice, there's something about the sound where a good cable is much much better (same think Steve Lukather found out in his later career.)

Fair enough, it is a bit more, but not a lot, considering how much better it is. The unit is underpriced IMO. It's a great value. This obviously doesn't apply to you, but there's so many people recommending these g30s, and personally i think they are trash (build quality) and I want to educate what you get for just a bit more money. Note, you earn your money back on batteries in the first year.

Fair enough, it is a bit more, but not a lot, considering how much better it is. The unit is underpriced IMO. It's a great value. This obviously doesn't apply to you, but there's so many people recommending these g30s, and personally i think they are trash (build quality) and I want to educate what you get for just a bit more money. Note, you earn your money back on batteries in the first year.

Yes I would really invest in a 1k or so in a transmitter system if this was my main system, it's not so a G30 works just fine and I'm actually in the camp that thinks G30s are misunderstood, mostly as people destroy them due to not putting them in a $10 case (flimsy battery case holder that could be ripped out if exposed to stage antics, where a case is good practice for any kind of transmitter anyway.) The sound quality from most wireless systems is still something I'm not fond of, but that's just me (suspect the subtle to non-subtle compression that is needed for the packets, then again that is the key sound of Angus Young...)

Back
Top Bottom