AX8 w/ wireless system on pedalboard

I started with the Shure SLX in a rack. Then when I moved away from the rack and put everything on a board, I used a Line 6 G50 for years. Never had any issues with it. I sold it when I got the AF2, and went back to Shure SLX. And now...here I am, contemplating going back to a do-all board. Yep...I see a vicious cycle developing.

I'll be using a Line 6 as well - probably power it with the Voodoo Lab 4x4. I've got another pedal or two I'll be using with the AX8. I'm probably going to use my real Cry Baby. No point in wasting a block - I always want a wah available and I like my switchless Cry Baby.

I'm using a Sony with my FX8. I had to send the first one back due to noise, but this one was good.

David. I have the same issue with the Sony wireless. It's OK at low volumes or on the clean channel, but as soon as you kick in an OD with a moderate amount of gain on the amp, the hiss becomes unbearable. I had two and sold one of the units and just gave up on wireless and quit using the other one. I love being untethered, so I'm leaning toward the Shure GLXD16, but I'd like to hear if anyone has had an hiss issue are higher volumes with higher gain settings with this unit. I appreciate any feedback, before I make another purchase mistake.

I hate the idea of having to buy a board, power, etc... to house the AX8. Right now I'm leaning towards using cables and forgetting wireless.

Shure GLXD is an amazing wireless unit. Crazy battery life, works super well. Stomp pedal with built in tuner, and the tuner is good. I love it.

I'll be using a Line 6 as well - probably power it with the Voodoo Lab 4x4. I've got another pedal or two I'll be using with the AX8. I'm probably going to use my real Cry Baby. No point in wasting a block - I always want a wah available and I like my switchless Cry Baby.

Hmm I hadn't thought about having a wah now that everything will be on the floor. Saves a block like you say too.

Does the Shure GLXD receiver have a battery or must it be plugged in? It's not entirely clear from the Sweetwater ad. Thanks.

jon

Does the Shure GLXD receiver have a battery or must it be plugged in? It's not entirely clear from the Sweetwater ad. Thanks.

The receiver (rack or floor) must be plugged in. The battery goes in the transmitter that the guitar plugs into.

edit - Whoops, posted at the same time as musicman77!

On a gig Saturday night I yanked the cord smooth out of my trusty X2 wireless body pack. I have a spare in the box, but it is time to update. Very interested in the comments about the Shure GLXD. Going to have to go check that out.

I can't find a flaw in the Shure GLXD. Everything is metal, everything exudes quality. 16 real hours on a single charge, 3 hour re-charge, 15 min for 1.5 hours in a pinch. User replaceable batteries. Accurate battery indicator on the receiver. Extremely reliable so far.

I can't find a flaw in the Shure GLXD. Everything is metal, everything exudes quality. 16 real hours on a single charge, 3 hour re-charge, 15 min for 1.5 hours in a pinch. User replaceable batteries. Accurate battery indicator on the receiver. Extremely reliable so far.
Second that!

Shure GLXD16. Best wireless I ever used :)

That's the one I use. Very sturdy and No tone loss to the original signal which makes this thing unique. Don't know yet how to power it - maybe a 9V cable in a self made snake, but better ideas are welcome.

That's the one I use. Very sturdy and No tone loss to the original signal which makes this thing unique. Don't know yet how to power it - maybe a 9V cable in a self made snake, but better ideas are welcome.
I'm also thinking about possible solutions to power both an AX-8 and a GLXD16 on a pedalboard. I think I will buy a 9v adapter, an enclosure box and some components, and build a box myself with a 220v three prong cable input, and with 220v and 9v outputs. Might even put in a few XLR connections for easy access to the outputs on stage... but perhaps that's overkill.

Back
Top Bottom