AX8 vs. Helix: On-The-Fly Programming.

Between about 7 and 8 minutes in. 15 variations for the preamp as quoted here. I'd wager the Axe has way more than that.

I mean honestly the Helix and the AX8 have the same processors right? So how can the Helix have 4 amps at the same time and near endless effects from the same processing power?

The answer can only be that the models and so forth aren't near as deep in the Helix as in the AX8. How else could they conserve all that processing power?

I mean honestly the Helix and the AX8 have the same processors right? So how can the Helix have 4 amps at the same time and near endless effects from the same processing power?

The answer can only be that the models and so forth aren't near as deep in the Helix as in the AX8. How else could they conserve all that processing power?

The other possibility is that the code is tighter or more efficient etc.... I'm not a programmer so there may be other possibilities as well. Remember that the Fractal code was written for the AxeFX II and then later used with the smaller processor. The Helix code was specifically written for the smaller dsps. In any case, per L6 "Each stage of an amp’s circuit has been measured and matched back to the original, so that each model reacts and interacts just like the real thing."

The other possibility is that the code is tighter or more efficient etc.... I'm not a programmer so there may be other possibilities as well. Remember that the Fractal code was written for the AxeFX II and then later used with the smaller processor. The Helix code was specifically written for the smaller dsps. In any case, per L6 "Each stage of an amp’s circuit has been measured and matched back to the original, so that each model reacts and interacts just like the real thing."

I am a programmer. I bet the developers working for both companies are pretty bad arse gents. I'd be willing to entertain the notion of one being slightly more effecient than the other, but not to that degree without considerable detail eating up the processing power on the AX8 side even taking the infastructure in account.

In the end the Helix is a great unit and I'm glad it's here. I look forward to seeing how it grows over the next 5 years. Competition can only mean great things for us consumers. We are so lucky to live in this time.

In reference to ease of programming on the fly, Now that I have an AX8 in my hands I can say that the difference between the two is slight and I was able to figure out without having to look at the manual how to navigate around the AX8 which is obviously a bit different than and Axe FX II.

Within 10 minutes I was able to deep edit the AX8 and store a preset with no sweat at all. For someone without prior Axe FX experience it may take a little longer but the same goes for the Helix. Which if I recall took me about 20-30 minutes to figure out how to create, edit and store a basic preset and repeat the process without having to scratch my head and think about how I did it the first time.

I have not tried a Helix yet.

But, after sitting with my AX8 and the manual for a short time yesterday, I have a good handle on how to do what I need to do with just the panel. Pretty straightforward, really. Manuals are a good thing.

I am a programmer. I bet the developers working for both companies are pretty bad arse gents. I'd be willing to entertain the notion of one being slightly more effecient than the other, but not to that degree without considerable detail eating up the processing power on the AX8 side even taking the infastructure in account.

In the end the Helix is a great unit and I'm glad it's here. I look forward to seeing how it grows over the next 5 years. Competition can only mean great things for us consumers. We are so lucky to live in this time.

We agree! LOL. I may still pick up another AX8 after everyone in line gets theirs. Quite a variety of amp models and effects that sound great. But I'd actually like to see a next version with scribble strips and another LED to display the Patch name in large letters. I don't think the large color screen is needed as much.

In reference to ease of programming on the fly, Now that I have an AX8 in my hands I can say that the difference between the two is slight and I was able to figure out without having to look at the manual how to navigate around the AX8 which is obviously a bit different than and Axe FX II.

Within 10 minutes I was able to deep edit the AX8 and store a preset with no sweat at all. For someone without prior Axe FX experience it may take a little longer but the same goes for the Helix. Which if I recall took me about 20-30 minutes to figure out how to create, edit and store a basic preset and repeat the process without having to scratch my head and think about how I did it the first time.

I think Chris' tutorial video is very helpful in learning to get around the AX8 and highly recommend it. The system is learnable if you take the time.

In Helix isn't possible routing like this:
Screenshot%202016-04-13%2022.30.21.png

or like this:

Screenshot%202016-04-13%2022.28.52.png

Back
Top Bottom