AX8 vs Helix for metal...

Hey Ola,

I think that was a very honest video, and I agree with everything you said. I started following your channel a month ago (cirka), and I am definitely a fan. Good contest, great presentation.

Helix sounds okay, but still riddled with fizz. Still a big step up from the HD stuff. But pure amp tone? Fractal easily wins (unless you like fizz).

Yup Fractal rules! The Helix sounds just like the POD I had 10 years ago just in a new package!

Great job on the comparisons by the way!

By the way, I think that might be the best comparison video I have ever seen. Great job. I would love to see one for classic tones like Plexi, Fender and Vox.

Hey guys, not sure if this has been posted already, but here's my comparison video of the AX8 and Helix. With focus on metal presets. You can find presets and an impulse for the AX8 in the description of the video.

Let me know what you think!

AX8 was my pick. I love mine but I've never tried the Helix. I tried the Kemper and sent it back after a week. I think my AX8 sounds a little better than my axe FxII

Great comparison vid Ola! and even though the newer heavy metal is not my main thing I still like to hear the differences. Your I/R's really showed how close some of the sims were.

Hearing what the Helix sounds like I'd be VERY interested in a Helix vs Axe-FX Standard / Ultra! I absolutely don't like how the Helix sounds, I'm quite confident that even the Axe Gen 1 sounds better!

Last edited:
Was a great video, I really like what you have been doing with the channel recently as well. I enjoy the FAQ's and the subtle comedy bits here and there.

Anyway, I really wanted this video and now after watching I still want the AX8 and will hopefully have one soon.

I will say IMO the Helix sounded much better with your personal IR and the layout of the editor seems much better with a couple of other slight features but that is not enough to sway me.

Both seem like great units and neither are "perfect" but the AX8 seems more appealing.

You should watch it anyway to support :) He has some really great videos too.
I watched it over at TGP the other day. Ax has deep parameters but dialing in a killer tone still came easy once I got past interface difficulties. I didn't really have interface difficulties with the Helix; just tonal difficulties.

Back
Top Bottom