AX8 vs Helix: Amp Tone and Effects

the fx8 couldn't channel switch a BE100 with the relays?

Yea if I could get one! You have to be on a waiting list for those two

I thought I was golden with the AX8 waiting list with October 13 6:51 PM ticket.....

We are probably looking at spring or early summer before we get our invites

I still wonder why there are NO videos comparing the Ax8 or Axe-FX to the Helix... Although I know your own experience and what you hear is relative, a SOUND comparison would be cool to see. I was going to get a Helix to do a comparison with my XL+ (or AX8 if I get the invite soon enough) but I can't get the Helix at this time....

I don't think it's a question of one being "better" or anything like that.
I believe that something can be better than something else & that quite often the "not better or worse, just different" meme is a cop out. These days all 10 kids may get a ribbon once they have completed the 100 yard dash but one of them actually crossed the line first.

Here's the amp by the way o_O
10401926_515488798632628_6238842107931194583_n-1-jpg.29493

Wow! =)

I believe that something can be better than something else & that quite often the "not better or worse, just different" meme is a cop out. These days all 10 kids may get a ribbon once they have completed the 100 yard dash but one of them actually crossed the line first.

As a dad who coaches his two young sons in sports, you'll get no argument from me. I detest "participation medals".

But that doesn't relate to what I'm saying. Asking what's a "better sounding" unit is like asking what's the best guitar tone of all time or what's the "best" amp model in the latest Quantum firmware: Plenty of people will have a different answer than you, but how exactly are they wrong?

From one who wants the best possible modeling in a floorboard unit: In my little google investigation, I haven't found anyone (who have tried both units) saying the Helix amp modeling sounds better than the ax8/axe-fx. People say its a good unit, but is tone-wise below the FAS techonology. I also keep reading that one should try both and decide for oneself. If I had such a luxurious opportunity, I would. And if all reviews and discussions have been the other way around, or even the Helix matching the FAS sound, I would probably have gone out and bought the Helix long ago instead of waiting x months for an invite to buy the ax8. Maybe a bit narrow minded, but in this case I actually trust the voice of the internet :)

Asking what's a "better sounding" unit is like asking what's the best guitar tone of all time or what's the "best" amp model in the latest Quantum firmware: Plenty of people will have a different answer than you, but how exactly are they wrong

This isn't exactly true. Personal preference may dictate what you like but since these devices are tube amp emulators, tube amps are the reference point and not brand a/b digital device. Everyone seems to decide I like this or that better than the other units this or that when comparing tube emulation. Compare the unit(s) to a real amp not each other.

From one who wants the best possible modeling in a floorboard unit: In my little google investigation, I haven't found anyone (who have tried both units) saying the Helix amp modeling sounds better than the ax8/axe-fx. People say its a good unit, but is tone-wise below the FAS techonology. I also keep reading that one should try both and decide for oneself. If I had such a luxurious opportunity, I would. And if all reviews and discussions have been the other way around, or even the Helix matching the FAS sound, I would probably have gone out and bought the Helix long ago instead of waiting x months for an invite to buy the ax8. Maybe a bit narrow minded, but in this case I actually trust the voice of the internet :)

Why would Helix match or exceed the Axe-fx? Kemper certainly doesn't. Or Amplifire. They all have their own thing going on. They can all be used to get great, pro-quality tones. I know it's human nature to establish a hierarchy, and place your preferences atop it, but I promise you....the people who picked the choices you didn't aren't losing.

I personally don't want a Helix in its current state, and I do want an AX8. It's not because there's some amp modeling quality gulf Line 6 can't bridge. It's because the Fractal platform is currently way more developed and stable. The amp modeling of any of the top tier units in recent years won't limit me anywhere near as much as my playing does.

This isn't exactly true. Personal preference may dictate what you like but since these devices are tube amp emulators, tube amps are the reference point and not brand a/b digital device. Everyone seems to decide I like this or that better than the other units this or that when comparing tube emulation. Compare the unit(s) to a real amp not each other.

Every Helix clip of a certain amp I've heard sounds like that amp, as far as I can determine. But that's just clips. I would want to play it to know for sure.

Every Helix clip of a certain amp I've heard sounds like that amp, as far as I can determine. But that's just clips. I would want to play it to know for sure.

I've heard great sounding clips from all the units and bad ones. Even when Quantum came, recordings were hard to point out differences but the "feel" and interaction between unit and player changed.

Why would Helix match or exceed the Axe-fx? Kemper certainly doesn't. Or Amplifire. They all have their own thing going on.
I am aware of the Kemper and Amplifire, and hear good things about them. However, Kemper is not a floorboard unit, which is what I want. Amplifire is a bit limited to what my needs are. As for helix vs ax8, I am constricted to reading about other peoples opinions instead of sitting down with them both and see which one I like the most.

for what it is worth.... Last night was my first time rehearsing with the Helix (I just got the unit this past Sat) I connected straight to the board stereo.... and I will tell you.... That was the best tone I've ever had at rehearsal, and I have an Axe Fx II.
The only difference that I can think of between the 2 tone that I built for each machine was the "IR's" .... I tried an Ownhammer Marshall cab that I had. I'm in shock guys.... but good tone is good tone don't carry what brand it is. I will still buy my AX8 once I get my invite!

for what it is worth.... Last night was my first time rehearsing with the Helix (I just got the unit this past Sat) I connected straight to the board stereo.... and I will tell you.... That was the best tone I've ever had at rehearsal, and I have an Axe Fx II.
The only difference that I can think of between the 2 tone that I built for each machine was the "IR's" .... I tried an Ownhammer Marshall cab that I had. I'm in shock guys.... but good tone is good tone don't carry what brand it is. I will still buy my AX8 once I get my invite!

There you go, Gonwild: someone who has them both and has a different preference than "the voice of the Internet". He's not wrong, and neither is someone who came to the opposite conclusion. They really are just different.

I am aware of the Kemper and Amplifire, and hear good things about them. However, Kemper is not a floorboard unit, which is what I want. Amplifire is a bit limited to what my needs are. As for helix vs ax8, I am constricted to reading about other peoples opinions instead of sitting down with them both and see which one I like the most.

Both have a money back waranty or not? I would never base my high end gear buy on others review.
Try them both and then make up your own mind.

There you go, Gonwild: someone who has them both and has a different preference than "the voice of the Internet". He's not wrong, and neither is someone who came to the opposite conclusion. They really are just different.
yeah, that's the first i've seen. good! :)

Back
Top Bottom