AX8 vs FX8

dschaaf

Experienced
HI,

I already have an Axe FX II and was thinking of getting an FX8 to use with my tube amps. My thought is however, why would I not just get the AX8 to use for FX only but then also have the added benefit of the amp and cab sims if I want to use it in an FRFR setup since it has essentially all the same FX (I believe)

I know the FX8 has true bypass but is there any other significant reason why the AX8 would not do everything the FX8 can do plus more?

Thanks,
D

I had the FX8 coupled with a mark v 25 mini stack prior to ultimately selling both for an AX8. If you love this tube amp and will only be using the ax8 for effects, I would just go for the FX8. I used the AX8 with my mark v for about a month and a half and while it is very quiet, it's not as dead quiet and transparent as the FX8, plus, the FX8 is just so much more straight forward for this application.

I vote for the FX8.

Last edited:
I've used both in 4CM. The relays on the FX8 are nice for switching channels on your amp, if that's important to you. I also thought the FX8 was a bit quieter with respect to noise. If the relays aren't a deal breaker I'd say AX8. But since you already have an Axe FX II I'd vote FX8.

If I were to do it all over, it would be harder to choose the FX8 over the AX8. I haven't really heard anything negative comparing the AX8 and FX8 in 4CM to make the FX8 any better for that purpose. They have the same effects and having the AX8's amps for practice, recording and a convenient backup could be useful as well.

I bought the FX8 because I like my amps, they cover the 'tones in my head' so I couldn't really see the advantage of having the amp modeling. The channel switching capability and specific design for use with the 4CM tipped the scale. As fate would have it, I've since sold my multi-channel amp and ended up with a couple of single channel amps. Even so, with the combination of amps I have and the FX8 there's really not much I can't cover so it's still the right choice for me.

Another consideration for me was feeling like I would need to buy a power amp or FRFR in addition to the AX8 to get the 'amp in the room' feel. Other amp modelers I've had/have, I'm sure the AX8 would be even better, sound good through headphones and monitors (like listening to a CD) but have never given me the feel of playing through a physical amp.

At this stage of my playing, I am a pragmatist. I want great tones, flexibility, and ease of use. I really don't want to drag around a ton of heavy gear. I certainly do not want to tote multiple amps to a gig. The AX8 (I also have an FX) is the perfect solution. I have a lot of tweaking time put into my presets (I build my own) and the end result is extremely satisfying. My days of the huge backline are behind me. The AX8 is very user friendly, tough enough to stand up to a lot of stage use, gives me great clean, rhythm, and lead tones, and I can play any venue from small to large. Considering all the gear my road crew used to have to set up, the time consuming sound check, and the brutal tear-down after the show, the AX8 is a dream come true. I put my AX8 and pedals into a rolling computer bag and I'm good to go. My vote goes for the AX8.

as far as i know both do the same but the AX8 has amp modeling, almost same price, i was on the same situation and got AX8, i didnt think i was going use the amp modeling much but it rocks!, i wanted a unit to change my amp channel via midi (Mark V), and also add fx blocks, i believe both units do this, but its better to have amp modeling if you want to go lazy to a gig (already have a tech21 power enging to test out)

At this stage of my playing, I am a pragmatist. I want great tones, flexibility, and ease of use. I really don't want to drag around a ton of heavy gear. I certainly do not want to tote multiple amps to a gig. The AX8 (I also have an FX) is the perfect solution. I have a lot of tweaking time put into my presets (I build my own) and the end result is extremely satisfying. My days of the huge backline are behind me. The AX8 is very user friendly, tough enough to stand up to a lot of stage use, gives me great clean, rhythm, and lead tones, and I can play any venue from small to large. Considering all the gear my road crew used to have to set up, the time consuming sound check, and the brutal tear-down after the show, the AX8 is a dream come true. I put my AX8 and pedals into a rolling computer bag and I'm good to go. My vote goes for the AX8.

I am just moving in that direction. Younger years Marshall stack. Now I have a heavy pedal rig, two amps, talkbox, and a hired roadie for all our gigs here in Western Wa. At my age I never thought I wouild venture this direction. I just ordered an Atomic Clr active wedge and I am getting ready to order Axe8. My Mesa and Fender Supersonic are crying that I am doing this. My Strymons and Timmy are beside themselves. But it's now or never I believe. I see some used Axe8 out there, I may go new. The price seems to have dropped from a year ago. Yes? r. Jim

The same move I recently made as well. I was tired of years of hauling amps, cabs, multiple pedalboards, etc and the long setup/tear down times and decided to go with the AX8 for live gigs. No regrets. I have found some great tones in the AX8 that work extremely well for me and I would admit that I've been a tube amp snob for years. I have tried a few other modelers over the years but none of them ever satisfied me.

On another note, you may want to hang on to your pedals for now until you work with your AX8 for a while. I have found that some of my Strymon pedals work really well with the AX8 and can dramatically reduce the potential strain on CPU usage if you end up with a lot of blocks in your presets. I still use my BigSky and Dig for a lot of my reverb and delay needs. The built in effects are great but by using a couple external pedals I can save a lot of CPU.

I'm hoping they build in the cool features of the FX8 into Rev 2 of the AX8, could use a bit more processing power 2.

AX8 Ultra anyone? :-D

Got II and Fx8, also use Amplifire 3 and got 12 coming.
Wouldn't mind having an Ax8 but push comes to shove not having to deal with fx block and the increased looper time and implementation on the fx8 were the tipping point for me.
And the relays.
I assume the implementation of the F switches are the same, since to me the seemkess integration between fx, scene and preset switching is where it's at.

I am just moving in that direction. Younger years Marshall stack. Now I have a heavy pedal rig, two amps, talkbox, and a hired roadie for all our gigs here in Western Wa. At my age I never thought I wouild venture this direction. I just ordered an Atomic Clr active wedge and I am getting ready to order Axe8. My Mesa and Fender Supersonic are crying that I am doing this. My Strymons and Timmy are beside themselves. But it's now or never I believe. I see some used Axe8 out there, I may go new. The price seems to have dropped from a year ago. Yes? r. Jim
I feel your pain James. There has been a price drop. I was an old school amp and stomp box guy for many years. Been playing Fractal now since 2010. No regrets. Best gear and tone I ever had. In addition to headlining my shows, I am also the road crew and the opening act so I love the portability and ease of set up I get with the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom