AX8 vs Axe FX II in functionality

As I await the AX8 invite, I've been researching whether or not the Axe FX II might be a better choice: there are some valuable features that to me might outweigh the significant primary advantage of a well integrated all in one pedal/MFX. Most of it comes down to personal need/choices, but there is one point that needs the voice of experience I lack.

1. How significant is the adjustable input impedance on the Axe FX II vs fixed 1M ohm with a vintage output Strat? Not having any Fractal Audio experience, I'm curious if the "special sauce" input goes well beyond the dismal front ends of most modelers I've tried, and thus wouldn't be a limitation in its fixed incarnation of 1 meg ohm in the AX8.

IME; a lower than 1 meg ohm impedance can make a significant improvement with many Strat and vintage type pickups into an Eleven Rack at a lower impedance setting or with the 300kohm setting on the DI with Focusrite ISA One for recording with software amps. It reduces the resonance peak, lowers noise, and gives a more balanced musical tone without resorting to EQ. A guitar into low wattage amps (also at 1 M ohm) doesn't load the pickup in the unnatural way (IMO) of many hardware modelers I've tried. It doesn't make much of a difference with humbuckers, and possibly EQ can compensate; so I realize many players wouldn't run up against this: but I am soliciting Axe FX experience regarding the input impedance. (Yes, I did search relevant topics in the forum)

Last edited:
Just remember that you only get the benefits of the variable input impedance, if you run your guitar with a cable directly into the Axe - Any pedal or wireless system in front will remove the benefits.

I am pretty sure, 'special sauce' goes further than just variable input impedance. But I do not know, since I am also still waiting.

Just remember that you only get the benefits of the variable input impedance, if you run your guitar with a cable directly into the Axe - Any pedal or wireless system in front will remove the benefits.

I am pretty sure, 'special sauce' goes further than just variable input impedance. But I do not know, since I am also still waiting.

No wireless for me. Yeah, whatever the guitar is plugged into directly is going to load the pickups and change the frequency response. But in the examples given, the lower impedance settings have been more like into the amps - but there may be more to it than impedance. "True differential I/O to the converters, not the single-ended stuff used in consumer-grade gear." (from the AX8/Axe FX II comparison) sounds significant. I could get a Radial Dragster if 1 meg isn't ideal for some guitars.

I'd say a fixed 1M Ohm input impedance is just fine. Higher number will make the resonant peaks of the pickups more prominent. Lower number will soften them.
To me, you can simply tame the highs with a slight EQ adjustment before the amp.

Back
Top Bottom