AX8 Totally Came Through

Brian Coonan

Power User
Last week I had 3 gigs in 3 days that all were pretty different and which I used the AX8 direct to FoH. The first one was a festival with other bands opening for the country act Thompson Square, the second, our own gig (and own PA) at an outdoor stage on a lake, and the third at a bar with house sound (kind of a junky PA).

In the two shows with other bands involved, I had guitar players giving the AX8 'the look' - like the 'What the heck is that?' look. One guy who did know what it was said the tone was great, and in his opinion, much better than the Kemper's that's he's heard at other shows - said it really sounded like an amp and well 'buttery' - which since he seemed excited, I will consider a compliment. haha

In 2 of the gigs - time was an issue - like I had to get on and off stage pretty quickly - even carrying the ASM-12 with me, I got on and off stage in one trip in like 2 minutes.

Still had a few issues with the sound techs (including our own) but that's no fault of the AX8. I tell them I'm sending a line level signal, and would like them to start with flat EQ for the guitar, yet, I get a look at the board at two of the gigs and see that is not the case. I would say this is one of the most important things about using the AX8 (and probably other modelers). At a different gig, the sound guy was like "man you're really really distorted" when I was on my clean channel, which I KNOW is clean - and it turned out he had the gain on my channel at around 60%. Once that was removed - everything was the way I would expect it to sound.

Bottom line though is that it still stands as the best thing I've bought in years...so freaking worth it. The consistency is such a relief. Hopefully I can get some decent quality vid from the shows.

Still had a few issues with the sound techs (including our own) but that's no fault of the AX8. I tell them I'm sending a line level signal, and would like them to start with flat EQ for the guitar, yet, I get a look at the board at two of the gigs and see that is not the case. I would say this is one of the most important things about using the AX8 (and probably other modelers). At a different gig, the sound guy was like "man you're really really distorted" when I was on my clean channel, which I KNOW is clean - and it turned out he had the gain on my channel at around 60%. Once that was removed - everything was the way I would expect it to sound.
I have had that happen so many times that whenever I go to a place that I don't know I pad my out put down to save my self the headache

I knew one gig was doomed when the sound guy wouldn't give me xlr cable and insisted on putting a mic on my asm12. :/

He didn't want to mess up the eq on the board, he said.

Glad things worked out - the AX8 was a game-changer for me for sure (and my back).

I knew one gig was doomed when the sound guy wouldn't give me xlr cable and insisted on putting a mic on my asm12. :/

He didn't want to mess up the eq on the board, he said......

OMG! Did he not know what that little EQ engage/bypass switch does? Did he think the EQ knobs were at some magical setting that could never be replicated? Wow. Priceless.

Overloading the console input stage seems to be pretty common with less than stellar sound guys and the AX8 - I've fought that battle a few times - once when there was no sound check and I had to suffer through the first song thinking the house monitors had a ripped cone. Turning down the AX8's output works great as long as you aren't feeding a FRFR for on stage.

Let him walk away, unplug the mic and plug into the axe. I've done it, some guys just because they own PA think they are sound men. There really should be some kind of a certification required. I've seen "seasoned" pro's do really dumb stuff though.

The reason for non flat eq is to separate signal with similar frequencies. So the sound guy should reserve freq. range dedicated to each instrument. If no freq. restriction, the FOH sound is bassy, muddy and not clear. Please don't ask for the flat eq if your guitar sound is not equalized to fit in your band sound. Not equalized guitar sound is too wide and meets many frequencies of other instruments.
That's my point of view as a guitar player and sound engineer in one piece.

The reason for non flat eq is to separate signal with similar frequencies. So the sound guy should reserve freq. range dedicated to each instrument. If no freq. restriction, the FOH sound is bassy, muddy and not clear. Please don't ask for the flat eq if your guitar sound is not equalized to fit in your band sound.

Good statement - I ask them to start with a flat EQ - just so they are not starting as if they have a 57 against a cab. I don’t have a problem with them EQing me - but I would just prefer they give me a little consideration based on the fact that so far I’ve been the only one with Fractal gear.

Back
Top Bottom