AX8 Through ASM12 Vs Through the PA

So I thought it was a fluke, but the more I listen, the more I hear it. The sound from my ASM12 has significantly more crunch and saturation than what I hear coming through the mains\monitors. Any ideas as to how to level this out? I can crank the gain on patches but then my sound on stage sucks. Anyone else had this issue?

Crunch and saturation is a bit different than Gain. The signal going to your ASM should be the same signal going to the mains.

It's most likely EQ or too much compression or other effect in the PA. Describe more. Upload a preset. Show us a screenshot. We can help but not without information.

It's most likely EQ or too much compression or other effect in the PA. Describe more. Upload a preset. Show us a screenshot. We can help but not without information.

Precisely what I was going to comment, most of the time it is how your preset is being sonically reproduced at the venue which can introduce EQ/Comp or DSP issues also depending on what board you're using.

IME, my AX8 can sound different depending on which venue I play it, but not to the degree of what you're describing. What amp/cab model are you noticing the most sonic discrepancy on?

Where is the signal coming from for the ASM12?

First step would be to make sure that nothing is clipping on the ASM12 signal path. Make sure that the MAIN OUT CLIP and FX SEND OUT lights on the AX8 never light up and that red LIMIT light on the back of the ASM12 never lights up.

If you are using OUT1 to PA and OUT2 to the ASM12, a good troubleshooting step would be to try OUT1 to the ASM12 to see what happens.

Do you have a pic of the setup, and any details of relative volume between both?

I can have the same effect with 2 identical speakers if I put them in different spots and even more so if one is louder than the other.

Also, any details on the mains/monitors?
What else is in the mix, their location, number, model, etc.

A video would be great along with your preset.

Play some full range material that you know really well through both systems and see if you can hear some of the differences in the response.

So I went to the place we practice where my PA is set up last night to see if I could recreate last weekend's issue. Ran the ASM12 out of the left, direct to the X32 out of the right. The patch I used was the bone stock Plexi Treble patch with the top end rolled off a little boosted with a TS. A\B'd the ASM and PA speaker and they sounded great and VERY similar, to the point that any difference was negligible. Obviously some minor tonal difference because of different speakers, eq, blah blah blah but overall VERY close and better than I can do with a mic.

So the short version......I have no idea why it sounded different? Maybe it was the sound company's PA (compression, eq, effects, etc)? Impossible to tell at this point.

Thanks to all for your input!

So I went to the place we practice where my PA is set up last night to see if I could recreate last weekend's issue. Ran the ASM12 out of the left, direct to the X32 out of the right. The patch I used was the bone stock Plexi Treble patch with the top end rolled off a little boosted with a TS. A\B'd the ASM and PA speaker and they sounded great and VERY similar, to the point that any difference was negligible. Obviously some minor tonal difference because of different speakers, eq, blah blah blah but overall VERY close and better than I can do with a mic.

So the short version......I have no idea why it sounded different? Maybe it was the sound company's PA (compression, eq, effects, etc)? Impossible to tell at this point.

The PA does color the sound. I hear coloration when I go though the PA to the Alto speakers vs straight into the same speakers. Not a HUGE difference, but it is definitely there.

The PA does color the sound. I hear coloration when I go though the PA to the Alto speakers vs straight into the same speakers. Not a HUGE difference, but it is definitely there.
it's usually less the PA differences, and more about what processing they use. so many sound engineers put limiting compressors on every channel in efforts to not "blow up" anything. that KILLS distorted guitar tone more than anything else, due to the dynamics and harmonics of guitar.

When I am doing a gig through someone else's PA (which is almost always) I try to explain that the AX8 simulates an amp and cab and all effects, and request that they give me a bone dry channel with no pre or post effects to start with.

Back
Top Bottom