AX8 Stock Factory Presets ...... can someone please explain the "issue" ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all

Putting aside my "impatience motivated" posts :) ...... this is a serious question as I am not [yet] a Fractal owner ands am genuinely confused / not sure about this ...... so here goes ......

Fractal - at least I think it was them - stated in a post here that the AX8 would have the first 128 patches from the XL+ ...... (?)

From reading other posts though, it seems to be being suggested that some of the current delay in getting the AX8 out to normal users is that power-users are testing / refining / building / tweaking presets ..... for the AX8 ..... (?)

But if the AX8 is going to use the first 128 presets from the XL+ I would have thought that this was a straight-up transfer and load in to the AX8 ........ ?

Clearly I am not understanding something ..... so can someone please clarify / explain this ?

Many thanks,
Ben

My understanding is the XL presets don't map over directly (because of hardware limitations in the AX8). Also they prefer to ship with artist presets built directly for the AX8. Additionally, the rumor is they are fixing issues in the firmware.

I'd just like to get an ETA. If we are talking next year (past January), I want to buy an XL+ now and move on with my life. If its just a couple of weeks away, I am happy to wait...

I have a lot of shows planned next year and want to be on top of this (building patches, learning the unit) over the holidays and not have to lug so much gear next year.

The presets are not directly interchangeable.

You can however save individual blocks and import them.

Hi all

Fractal - at least I think it was them - stated in a post here that the AX8 would have the first 128 patches from the XL+ ...... (?)
Clearly I am not understanding something ..... so can someone please clarify / explain this ?

Many thanks,
Ben

Ben,

The quote was actually that the presets are based on the first 128 presets of the Axe Fx. I take that to mean (and I openly admit I'm interpreting here) that they are going to give a good basic set of representative tones for the amps in those slots... a lot like it is on the Axe Fx. I'm not expecting a preset for preset translation of Axe Fx II Preset 1-128 in other words.

I'm just waiting my turn to see what really ends up shipping with the unit. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see they have many times revised the firmware to this point, and expect that will continue. That's always been a strong point for FAS, and with the sharable portions between the FX8, AX8, and Axe Fx series, bettering one will have benefits to the whole family. A good time to be a Fractalite!

Thanks Rick

I had missed the "based on" bit so that makes more sense to me as to why porting-over and/or creating new presets is taking some longer-than-expected time.

I also didn't understand -not yet being a Fractal user- that whislt presets may not be immedialty transferable that "blocks" could be exported/imported from, say, XL+ presets.

Thanks again ...... the wait continues :)

Being from the land down-under, and despite being well-placed in the Oz waitlist, I am now %100 certain that I wont see an AX8 in my hands before xmas .... given the usual xmas / new year delays ... presumably FAS also taking a well-earned break over this period, and the natural need and desire to satisfy local [US] demand, the reality is that I won't get " mine " until late Jan / Feb at the earliest ..... when all is said and done though, this is nothing other than a pathetic, inconsequential first-world problem :)

Ben

I would be happy to have mine without presets.

Coming from an AXE II, I would make my own presets anyway.

So for my sake....BRING IT ON!

But then again: Maybe something else is also the matter........Info would be appreciated.

In the meantime I am using my A-FIRE and getting to like it more and more.......

Kind regards

AAEN

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom