AX8 Review

3dognate

Inspired
So I've had my AX8 a couple of weeks now and finally got some essentials patches create and used the unit for the first time last night at rehearsal. I like a lot about the unit... I'll run down my early likes and dislikes after I add that it sounds great... I'm just running some lightly tweaked stock patches using Twin/AC30/HBE/1959/5153 Red for my amp models for my band. I'm able to cover all of my needed genres with those with zero sweat. I can't say that it sounds of feels any better or worse than my KPA...That's not a slight on the AX8 but rather a compliment on the KPA I think. I have not A/B'd it with a Helix yet (that's to come) so I can't make that observation. But it's certainly 100% giggable and I imagine that it records perfectly well (I'll give that a whirl on Sunday I hope and post a clip.)

Immediate likes:
  • Of course it sounds killer in monitors and FOH PA (we have a pretty decent FOH worthy rehearsal PA)
  • Effects are plentiful and sound great
  • Footswitch flexibility is great
  • Modifiers make for some neat functionality.
  • I look forward to tooling up some new effects from LFOs and existing effects.
  • Seems well made enough
  • I can get around pretty well from the onboard UI
  • AX8 Edit is a pretty complete product and works rather well for editing quickly.
Immediate dislikes: (for lack of a better word)
  • Display is not the biggest thing in the world.. it could be larger just coming from the Kemper Remote and it's excellent display.
  • I really don't like the way they display the last selected effect in black with inverse lettering
    • This is fine while editing but during performance I find it distracting... I'd like to see some display options here.
    • I'd also like to see some large text option for Preset name with minor FX slot names.
  • I don't like that I have to hit store and then move to enter and hit that twice.. .I'd rather just hit store again for a default overwrite operation.
  • Why the hell didn't they add a dedicated page left button.:mad: (Most annoying)
I am going to unload my Kemper for the fact that I can ditch my rack case and pack lighter and smaller. The KPA is 100% bad ass... I just want to be clear that I do not think the AX8 sounds/feels better (or worse)... I've gotten some of my best live tones ever from the KPA and I see it having a long and beloved product lifespan. Having a compact rig was the decision maker here. AX8 does sound like everything that Fractal is famous for though.

Bottom line: I dig it.

• I don't like that I have to hit store and then move to enter and hit that twice.. .I'd rather just hit store again for a default overwrite operation.
  • Why the hell didn't they add a dedicated page left button.:mad: (Most annoying)
These just take some time to get used to. I think many people would accidentally store things if "Store, Store" was the command. Enter forces you to commit to the procedure in case you hit Store by accident.

Page left is a Shift, Page away.

Last edited:
These just take some time to get used to. I think many people would accidentally store things if "Store, Store" was the command. Enter forces you to commit to the procedure in case you hit Store by accident.

Yeah... last 3 devices were Store > Store or Store > Store > Store... so it's just an observation...

Page left still annoys me... nothing will change that....ever.. :D

My complaints are in no way deal breakers.. deal breakers are the stuff that matters in a complaint list... I have none of those.

OH! I should also give you props also Chris, Your beginner's guide video I purchased gave me a good head start on editing and navigating the AX8... good job.

I also bought Chris beginner guide video I have watched it many times so when I get my AX8 I will have a head start on how to use it! Thanks Chris this will be my first fractal product well worth the money !

Nice review. I'm looking at the AX8 to replace my KPA also I think for the same reasons, just ease of portability. I don't have the remote, I use an FCB 1010, which is ok.

KPA sounds fabulous as you know. As long as the AX 8 can hang with it, sure it can, I'll likely go the same route.

I had a helix briefly, actually really liked it and miss it. I think the KPA had the edge for tones but with more time I could have made it work. It was super easy to use and the scribble strips etc were excellent. Look forward to hearing your thoughts about the helix here or over at TGP.

Immediate dislikes:
  • Display is not the biggest thing in the world.. it could be larger just coming from the Kemper Remote and it's excellent display.
  • I really don't like the way they display the last selected effect in black with inverse lettering
    • This is fine while editing but during performance I find it distracting... I'd like to see some display options here.
    • I'd also like to see some large text option for Preset name with minor FX slot names.

Strange enough, I can relate to all these

Perhaps... I just went back and reviewed your video... and yes I fully understand. I still dislike that the High contrast "black cursor" is used to indicate a selection. I would prefer that indicate on/off state. and something else to indicate a selection. Different strokes

Perhaps... I just went back and reviewed your video... and yes I fully understand. I still dislike that the High contrast "black cursor" is used to indicate a selection. I would prefer that indicate on/off state. and something else to indicate a selection. Different strokes
me too. i'm just showing how it is. that doesn't necessarily agree with my preference :)

Back
Top Bottom