AX8 Resale Value

Cheaper doesn't mean better quality. I would rather pay a little more for better build (made in USA) and also better condition. Reverb.com is pretty damn reliable. At $600 for an AX8 I bet it will break down. You get what you pay for in the end.
No, you either got taken or that was one heck of a travel case with yours. Going rate for AX8 is $800 to $900. They did dip down lower at one point (perhaps that's when his was purchased), but then went on an uptick when delays for new current units were experienced due to chip shortages.

Last edited:
Keep in mind guys a new FM9 is about $1600-$1700 USD which works out to $2153 CAD plus 13% tax = $2432 CAD.

My AX8 cost me $1250 CAD not USD, roughly and $200 CAD for the expensive leather multi interior and exterior pocketing, carrying case which is gold in my opinion to making it easy to travel and avoiding damage.

When the FM9 drops down to $1400 CAD NEW (i.e. 5-10 years from now) I'll pick one up and use my AX8 as backup.

Right now I have no need for an FM9.

What I do have a need for is more practice time, so off I go!

Last edited:
Keep in mind guys a new FM9 is about $1600-$1700 USD which works out to $2153 CAD plus 13% tax = $2432 CAD.

My AX8 cost me $1250 CAD not USD, roughly and $200 CAD for the expensive leather multi interior and exterior pocketing, carrying case which is gold in my opinion to making it easy to travel and avoiding damage.

When the FM9 drops down to $1400 CAD NEW (i.e. 5-10 years from now) I'll pick one up and use my AX8 as backup.

Right now I have no need for an FM9.

What I do have a need for is more practice time, so off I go!
Maybe you should've said you were international. Of course it'll be more expensive.

Just because one buys a newer unit like an FM3 doesn't mean they'll sound better. Just like no one here would sound better with all the Edge's zillion dollars worth of pedalstacks. Why? Knowledge. Someone who possesses more knowledge about a less powerful product can get a better sound out of it, than someone who possesses less knowledge about a more advanced product.
you're discounting the part about learning the newer product. yes, at first, with anything new, you don't have knowledge. but then you start learning.

95% of the world is stuck with pedals and tube amps and older multi fx units that don't stack up to fractal's AX8. So hardware wise AX8 users are still ahead of the bulk of musicians in the world.
but to your previous point, just because they have better hardware doesn't mean they'll sound better...?

Hey the AX8 doesn't get much love these days! I actually had made up my mind to buy one a few years back, but learned of the FM3 at the time so got that instead.
I've had several. Sold it when I bought an AF3, but bought another one since I missed it. I just know it in and out backwards and forwards, so it's great for rehearsals and gigs.

I've had several. Sold it when I bought an AF3, but bought another one since I missed it. I just know it in and out backwards and forwards, so it's great for rehearsals and gigs.

This was also a point I was trying to make. Knowing a product inside and out (knowledge) will help you get a much better sound of it, than using a more complex product that one may not learn as easily or learn to high levels at all. In your case even though you have the wonderful AF3 you went out and rebought the AX8 several times. That speaks of the importance of knowledge and knowing your equipment to be at full confidence.

Not to take anything away from the AF3 masters out there in the world like The Edge, Steve Vai (I believe) and others, but their level of knowledge is extremely high given their experience which is why they can get such great sounds out of it. For most of the world the AF3 would be overkill and only be used at a fractions of its power.

if you know the AX8, the Axe3 isn't really more difficult.
I have not even tapped at 10% of the AX8's true power. :)
I rely on presets made by the masters who use it.
If I look at my own preset making knowledge it's very basic compared to world class levels that some of these genius's come up with. lol
The AX8 will keep me busy for a long time.
And I have even less need for an AF3 as I don't even need an FM9 right now.
The AX8 does everything I need and more at this time and what seems like the next 10 years into the future.
At that time I'll upgrade as my needs will be more and the prices will be a lot less.
Makes sense?

Last edited:
I have not even tapped at 10% of the AX8's true power. :)
I rely on presets made by the masters who use it.
If I look at my own preset making knowledge it's very basic compared to world class levels that some of these genius's come up with. lol
The AX8 will keep me busy for a long time.
And I have even less need for an AF3 as I don't even need an FM9 right now.
The AX8 does everything I need and more at this time and what seems like the next 10 years into the future.
At that time I'll upgrade as my needs will be more and the prices will be a lot less.
Makes sense?
sure, but you only using 10% of the AX8 doesn't mean that others would find the Axe3 is more difficult compared to the AX8 or that others would be "wasting" its capabilities.

sure, but you only using 10% of the AX8 doesn't mean that others would find the Axe3 is more difficult compared to the AX8 or that others would be "wasting" its capabilities.
If you truly believe you've tapped at 90+ % of the AF3's power then more power to you my friend....
Do you have a YT channel? I'd like to check out your work!

If you truly believe you've tapped at 90+ % of the AF3's power then more power to you my friend....
i probably have, but that doesn't matter at all. some use the Axe3 Turbo for drive, amp, cab and delay only and it provides the value they need.

no need to worry about "wasting" anything in any piece of gear. if it sounds great, can be controlled how you need and provide the value you need for your music, it's not a waste at all. there's no need to use every single feature in a unit for it to be "worth" using.

i probably have, but that doesn't matter at all. some use the Axe3 Turbo for drive, amp, cab and delay only and it provides the value
no need to worry about "wasting" anything in any piece of gear. if it sounds great, can be controlled how you need and provide the value you need for your music, it's not a waste at all. there's no need to use every single feature in a unit for it to be "worth" using.

I agree with the gist of your argument, however, my point is simply if a piece of equipment takes one 45 min to figure out something new on and create something new , it beats going out and buying a new piece of hardware to compensate for the lack of time involved in upgrading one's knowledge/skills. I just feel most people are in a rush to keep upgrading equipment thinking it will make them a better guitarist or famous one day but in the end one's skills are infinitely more important. Hell the Edge got discovered playing a Boss DD3 at one point in his professional career didn't he?

Last edited:
i agree that just gear may not be the solution, but practice on the instrument and good gear can happen at the same time. some say better gear inspires them to play even better and progress faster.

perhaps someone who would create a new way to use a delay pedal would never figure it out without getting that delay pedal in the first place.

gear is part of the equation for sure. practice on the instrument is important and another part.

if getting an AX8 vs an FM3 is on the table, someone shouldn't "settle" for the AX8 simply because they aren't a phenomenal guitarist yet. both things could happen at the same time.

i agree that just gear may not be the solution, but practice on the instrument and good gear can happen at the same time. some say better gear inspires them to play even better and progress faster.

perhaps someone who would create a new way to use a delay pedal would never figure it out without getting that delay pedal in the first place.

gear is part of the equation for sure. practice on the instrument is important and another part.

if getting an AX8 vs an FM3 is on the table, someone shouldn't "settle" for the AX8 simply because they aren't a phenomenal guitarist yet. both things could happen at the same time.

For many people practice takes a back seat each time they purchase new gear , especially if that gear is a new multi fx / amp modelling system because of the new learning curves involved. If one can keep serious about getting in their practice time without falling in love with playing with all the features and noodling with their new equipment at the expense of practice time that is ok then I guess.

In reality I can't tell you how many people I know who do nothing but upgrade because they are loaded and think having the same gear as famous people will make them famous. Nothing is further from the truth. And then the gear sits there collecting dust once the thrill has worn off and new gear is on the market.

Equipment is not a waste if it's being used. Only if it's lying around doing nothing is it a waste of money.

Buy gear, but don't make gear your crutch.

Speaking of gear still waiting on my wonderful Redsound Elis 8 speakers to arrive, however, in the meantime I'm practicing like crazy on a $250 pair of mackie monitors!

It was an interesting debate but now we've exhausted our opinions so let's bring it to closure :)

Last edited:
This was also a point I was trying to make. Knowing a product inside and out (knowledge) will help you get a much better sound of it, than using a more complex product that one may not learn as easily or learn to high levels at all. In your case even though you have the wonderful AF3 you went out and rebought the AX8 several times. That speaks of the importance of knowledge and knowing your equipment to be at full confidence.

Not to take anything away from the AF3 masters out there in the world like The Edge, Steve Vai (I believe) and others, but their level of knowledge is extremely high given their experience which is why they can get such great sounds out of it. For most of the world the AF3 would be overkill and only be used at a fractions of its power.
What I should have said was: "I know it inside out, so the quirky menus aren't a problem for me. And it sounds good enough for practice and performance, so considering how cheap the AX8 is nowadays I'll keep playing it." Obviously if I had to pay around $1000 for it and not $600, I would just go ahead and use an FM9 or FM3. They sound better and are easier to use. Anyone who knows his way around the AX8 can start using the current gen Fractals with no issue.

What I should have said was: "I know it inside out, so the quirky menus aren't a problem for me. And it sounds good enough for practice and performance, so considering how cheap the AX8 is nowadays I'll keep playing it." Obviously if I had to pay around $1000 for it and not $600, I would just go ahead and use an FM9 or FM3. They sound better and are easier to use. Anyone who knows his way around the AX8 can start using the current gen Fractals with no issue.

FM9 is my only choice above the AX8 and as I said before I'm not about to spend $2500 CAD on it. So until the prices come down (i.e $1400 CAD NEW) it's AX8 all the way. I don't care for the FM3 with its 3 switches and tiny footprint.

The AX8 does everything I want it to do and more. If your FM3 is a godsend to you good for you. We should always strive to use the equipment that motivates us to learn!

For me it's the AX8 (and down the line the FM9).

If the FM9 is just as easy to use as the AX8 BONUS BABY! It will be an easy transition when the time comes to upgrade. :)

Last edited:
The AX8 sounds great, is reliable, and will get any type of amateur to professional job done but if you're a professional musician then you also need a full support and backup strategy. If one fails you want to immediately order a new one while using the backup. This is where the AX8 is no longer a viable option. It's not about sound or usability (you don't mess with preset programming during your gig).

Resurrecting this thread...just found a "Very Good" condition Helix (that's the full unit and not the LT version) for sale locally on Craigslist for $900. That's $600 off of new! Went to Reverb to check the AX8 and the bottom price is $745 (so I'm guessing that would equate to $650-$700 locally).

i just find this interesting b/c from time-to-time people will question whether to buy FAS now or hold out for the next gen.

Back
Top Bottom