AX8 quick metal test

Sounds pretty cool, but to me it has kind of a hollow character to it. I think if I had to guess technically it sounds like an odd spike in the lower mids. Might also be something more to do with the bass than the guitar, hard to tell.

I do dig it though, would not be upset if I bought an album and this was the overall tone on it.

I liked a lot!! Which guitar are you using?
Hey, thanks! I use Ibanez RGD 2127z with BKP MM set tuned in B standard with 9-54 strings :)

I think if I had to guess technically it sounds like an odd spike in the lower mids
Thanks! Quite possible. This is a very rough mix to hear some feedback and see if the direction is right. Will definitely work further.
And the bass tone may be off. I recently switched from Prominy SR5 to Ample Sound AMR bass and have not yet established a good sound.

I liked the mix. Because I've been playing a lot of bass lately, I tend to focus on that. But, with metal, the bass is usually hidden. Yours was pretty good, not too hidden. I thought the guitar fit into the mix pretty good, prominent. If it sounds good in the song, I'd be happy with it. Tight playing, liked it.
How about using the ax8 for the bass tracks too?

Sounds very good man! :D
I am curious to know how your preset looks like. Don't need to share it, just giving and idea of amp/cab/drive, etc...

Tight playing, liked it.
How about using the ax8 for the bass tracks too?
Thanks man!

I currently use MIDI bass and I have not tried to pass it through AX8. But I wonder, is there a preset that turns guitar into bass with a pitch shifter? =)

Sounds very good man! :D
I am curious to know how your preset looks like. Don't need to share it, just giving and idea of amp/cab/drive, etc...

Hey, thanks for the kind words!
The preset itself is crazy simple. There is T808 MOD, ENGL Savage amp and cab (need to check which one, but it's something stock). That's it.
In Reaper: some EQ and slight compression on the guitar bus. More plugins on master bus.

I think this sounds just fantastic & it had me banging my head w/ my devil horns held high! \m/

A++

X

Last edited:
@nebbi Thanks a lot!
Yes indeed. It keeps the guitar in tune really well. Though, I almost never use tremolo - exactly same guitar, but with a fixed bridge was released after I bought this one. I wish they had both options from the start :)

One more question. Sorry, is a litte off-topic. If you bend a string for 1 tone does the ZPS hold the tremolo fix? I have a EdgeZero2 without ZPS (a KIKO10P) and when i bend (for example) G string on fret 7 to one tone higher and play then H string on 7 it should be the same but H is out of tune because the bending lifts the tremolo. So if the ZPS can hold a bending over 1 tone i'm going to replace my tremolo to have ZPS. Do you understand what i mean?

Sure, I understand. I've definitely tested that, but don't remember the exact result. IIRC it does stay in tune.
Then again, I believe the behavior also depends on the tuning and string gauge. Maybe not =)

Back
Top Bottom