AX8 Question mono and stereo

Izzwardo

Inspired
I am getting a new AX8 and only have 1 FRFR speaker is there a setting that I need to set to play it in mono?

I've always wondered what's the best option. For example What happens to reverb If you set output to mono and only use the Left Output? And what is Copy L->R option usefull for? And is Sum better than using only output L in stereo mode?

I've always wondered what's the best option. For example What happens to reverb If you set output to mono and only use the Left Output? And what is Copy L->R option usefull for? And is Sum better than using only output L in stereo mode?
Presuming you're referring to the LEFT ONLY mode for IN 2. That is the default mode for IN 2, for stereo it, as well as OUT 2, should be set to STEREO.

SUM L+R or COPY L+R are typically selected when using the Right outs for monitoring, sending a signal somewhere other than FOH or amp. Which is better would be dependent upon how the effects respond to being collapsed to mono.

An explanation from Axe Fx Wiki:
  • "Dual Mono" (COPY L+R) "– sonically, this is identical to half-stereo, with the same limitations, except that mono signal is produced at both the left and right jacks so you can connect to two monitors. To switch to dual mono, open I/O > Audio and set Mode for the desired output to “COPY L->R”.
  • Summed Mono – left and right channels are added together resulting in an identical mono signal at both left and right outputs. This has the advantage of not discarding half of the sound, but summing has its own issues. For example, short delays or phase differences between channels can result in strange artifacts or even total cancellation. To switch to summed mono, open I/O > Audio and set Mode for the desired output to “SUM L+R”."

I use only left output in any live setting (mono sound). In studio I use L/R output, and I go stereo. No big problem, except for ping pong or panpotting signal (I don't use it anymore unless the sound call for it...).

My presets are in stereo and I make sure I have no phases inversion going on. I set it to sum l+r when I cannot run stereo and it works great

Back
Top Bottom