AX8 output to FOH + monitors

Frank L.

So I'm building a junction for all the AX8 inputs/outputs so make it easier at gigs to just plug in, and also reduce wear and tear on the jacks of the AX8.

In this, I'm using OUTPUT 1 as my FOH output. I plan to wire the existing XLR output to a Neutrik XLR jack on my board.

For the monitor output, I plan to use OUTPUT 2. That way, I have independent volume control over my monitor(s). I know that this output is Unbalanced, but its an humbuster. My question is, if I want to convert this to an XLR output, (1/4" TRS -> XLR 3M jack"), should I solder all of the connectors? I want the locking ability to XLR and I just prefer it overall.

I guess the biggest question is, how do you wire a 1/4" unbalanced into an XLR output?

For unbalanced 1/4" output to XLR input : Connect the tip of the 1/4" connector to one of the XLR input pins, connect the other XLR input pin to GND.

XLR output to unbalanced 1/4" input : connect one of the XLR output pins to the 1/4" connector tip. Leave the other XLR output pin unused.

Get a mono TS plug. Connect its tip to the positive XLR pin. Connect the TS plug sleeve to XLR GND. Shortcut the XLR negative input to GND.

For TRS to XLR; pin 1 is sleeve, pin 2 is tip and pin 3 is ring.
For TS to XLR; pin 1 and pin 3 are sleeve, pin 2 is tip.

For TRS to XLR; pin 1 is sleeve, pin 2 is tip and pin 3 is ring.
For TS to XLR; pin 1 and pin 3 are sleeve, pin 2 is tip.

Perfect. I'll probably use a TRS since I already have one, and this option makes use of the humbuster feature I assume (though its likely not needed in this case).

Perfect. I'll probably use a TRS since I already have one, and this option makes use of the humbuster feature I assume (though its likely not needed in this case).

Don't. The AX8 TRS outputs are NOT symmetric but humbuster circuits. Therefore don't use a TRS to XLR adapter but TS to XLR. Humbuster works only for TRS to asymetric inputs.

I could just not connect the ring, effectively making it a TS cable.

No. The ring is effectively an input on the AX8 to measure the noise. The tip carries the signal. You can connect the ring to the XLR GND pin to make use of the humbuster noise suppression, though. But since the cable is going to be only a couple of inches long it's probably not worth the effort.

You can use either a TS or TRS but there will need to be a jumper connecting pins 1 and 3 on the XLR.
No matter which you use, the positive should be soldered to the tip of the TS/TRS and pin 2 of the XLR.
If you use a TS plug, the braided shield and negative wire will need to be soldered to the sleeve/ground.

Back
Top Bottom