AX8 > mixer > speakers vs AX8 > speaker

Megaman9

Is there any difference between going through a mixer and going direct to the powered speakers
(tone wise) ?
I have a pair of Adam A7X and wondering if a mixer is necessary and and if so, can it harm the tone if I have a cheap one ?

Thanks

A cheap one can degrade the signal a bit, but it shouldn't be "night and day." Direct to your monitors is fine and you shouldn't be missing anything, unless you want the features that a mixer adds.

I run the Ax8 through my Audio Interface, which is basically a digital mixer, and through to my Adam A7s (no X for me :'( ) - It works great, and I love the added features of the 'mixer'

Depends on the mixer/interface. I don't get the volume going through my Behringer UMC202HD that I do direct, but there is a substantial volume drop using their direct monitoring feature. And, the inputs don't have high headroom. Whereas the Yamaha AG06 was good.

Is there any difference between going through a mixer and going direct to the powered speakers
(tone wise) ?
I have a pair of Adam A7X and wondering if a mixer is necessary and and if so, can it harm the tone if I have a cheap one ?

Thanks
I agree with other comments. It is NOT necessary. And a bad quality mixer can degrade your sound.
Unless you have a very good one and want to use the mixer EQ to have some additional tone control.

No special reason per se to have a mixer. I got my first one a few months ago and I've really enjoyed it. Once you learn how to set your gain structures and get everything set you don't touch much except the monitor volume on the mixer. So why have it? Well, even if you aren't doing anything special with it, I look at the meters all the time when I am creating patches. Since I have all the signals dialed in, I can look at that rather than the VU meters on the Ax8. I also like knowing I'm pushing a real good strong signal so I can bring up the monitors slowly and know they will sound good and not like they are starved for signal.

Having everything set signal strength wise helps too when I play out direct to PA. No suprises for the sound guy come from me because my levels are pretty balanced.

If you don't play out and only set levels to your own ears based on how you enjoy it, no real need for one outside recording.

I go AX8 into my EchoLayla 3G (audio Interface) then out to mixer. So the recorded ax8 audio is NOT going thru the mixer,just the audio interface. But Out of the Echo Layla3G(audio interface) into the mixer. No latencty and records great.

Should be about the same tone. If you dont need to mix in vocals or other sources I would just go direct to the speakers.

(tone wise) ?

Thanks

depends also if you plan on recording.....If you have an audio interface you just do what I posted in post #7. No loss of quality. I do have a mediocre mixer, not great, not terrible... a Mackie VLZ3. But the MIxer has no bearing on the quality of the recording.

Back
Top Bottom