AX8 Microphonic?

Bamm-bamm

Hey, so I was doing some last-minute tweaks to my system before taking out for a show and while I was changing cables and routing things, I noticed the whole unit was rather microphonic, anyone else experience this and what has been or can be done about it? If you tap on the housing or plug cables in while the unit is on and connected to an amp, you hear all of the sounds through the amp?!

Hmm. Never have had that with mine. I could see the guitar or guitar cable certainly being microphonic, possibly the cable carrying signal out of the unit, but the unit itself is digital so I wouldn’t personally expect it there. Maybe if there’s a loose jack or cable, or if you plugged a reverb tank into it...
But no, I’ve never noticed it with mine.

Same problem at higher gain sounds, i think the microphonic behavior is comming from ceramic caps in the analog part of the AX8 circuit!
Ceramic Caps can have piezoelectric effects - this can result in audible mikrofonic artefacts. Maybe they changed the caps to higher grade foil caps in other units, but that’s all hypothetical!
I sent my unit some time ago to G66(the european support), they realized the problem but it’s not fixable! So i think i have to live with it and use noisegates and filters for fixing it a little.

Yes, i forget to say it is most audible if i use the fx-loop! I posted a video one year ago in a thread called „Strange AX8 FX-Loop Problem“

I was using a Fender Twin model and a clean setting. I noticed it while plugging the guitar jack in. I am running 0 outboard effects and a Headrush FRFR12 at bedroom volume.
I will have to upload the preset when I get back Wed.

Never had that problem with my AX8 and I run a few high gain patches in front of an often too loud CLR.

Both of mine do this. It’s never been a problem and I have never ever heard it at a gig. When I am not playing, my volume pedal is off so no output signal to monitors or pa. Completely forgot about it until reading this thread. Some of my favorite old amps do it if you tap on their front panel. Maybe it’s true modeling behavior. 😊
Each of mine do it at a different pitch. 😂

Well, a week ago my Ax8 lights were blinking like a Christmas tree (all colors flashing) to the beat of the bass drum, so much it changed itself to an empty preset!
I had to put it on the floor to the side of the stage so I could finish the gig.
This past week the issue didn’t repeat but I did notice a little subtle “light show” not linked to the bass drum beat and not as intense though.
I’m thinking of opening it up and check for loose ribbon cables.
Anyone has experienced this or have suggestions what to look for/avoid?

Well, a week ago my Ax8 lights were blinking like a Christmas tree (all colors flashing) to the beat of the bass drum, so much it changed itself to an empty preset!
I had to put it on the floor to the side of the stage so I could finish the gig.
This past week the issue didn’t repeat but I did notice a little subtle “light show” not linked to the bass drum beat and not as intense though.
I’m thinking of opening it up and check for loose ribbon cables.
Anyone has experienced this or have suggestions what to look for/avoid?
I had this issue once. Brought it to FAS and they replaced Ribbon cables. Has been solid since then.

Back
Top Bottom