AX8 Incoming

I was using this suitcase that I got for $30 for the Helix when I had it but it turns out it will work out just fine for the AX8.

I had a bunch of 1" rigid insulation from my basement remodel. I lined the bottom of the suitcase with a piece and then cut pieces for all the sides. I had to double up on the back side so the helix would fit nice and snug. That also added more protection in case I set the case down on its side. After I made sure everything fit I took an old keyboard bag that was lined with 1/2" thick foam, cut pieces to fit all the rigid foam pieces, glued with spray adhesive and put it all under the suitcase liner so it would't be seen. Took some heavy duty egg crate foam I had and cut a piece to go on top and the back edge of the AX8 and around the expression pedal.I need to add a little more padding above the expression pedal but nothing is moving as it is now.

IMG_0020_zpswydmrnho.jpg
5bae496c-807d-4ed2-8077-367ac0ec6b1f_zpsqevd37jb.jpg

The stock IR's are awesome! You don't "need" Ownhammer. But if you already have it and you are use to it, they work perfectly with the AX8. And... welcome to the club :)
Haven't had much luck with the stock IR's. They do sound good but I get way too much low end. I have seem better results with Ownhammers.

What am I missing here? I have both outs on the AX8 going into my scarlett 2i2 and when I play with ax8-edit open it sounds almost like it's mono but when I jump over to my daw it sounds like it's in stereo. Have I lost my mind or what, it's just a totally different sound.

****Lost my mind***** got it sorted, user error....cough cough

Oh BTW.......this baby F***ING ROCKS!!!! Love my AX8:D

Last edited:
Man my brain is on overload, so many amps to try...LOL

I have noticed something when I load a preset from axe-change that there will be no sound and my inputs on my audio interface aren't lighting up. Any one know why this happens, it's not all the time. I had to turn off my AX8 to get it working again. Even the factory patches wouldn't produce sound.

Last edited:
Man my brain is on overload, so many amps to try...LOL

I have noticed something when I load a preset from axe-change that there will be no sound and my inputs on my audio interface aren't lighting up. Any one know why this happens, it's not all the time. I had to turn off my AX8 to get it working again. Even the factory patches wouldn't produce sound.

Advice - don't forget to eat and sleep (I guess work to if you need to do that)!!
What am I missing here? I have both outs on the AX8 going into my scarlett 2i2 and when I play with ax8-edit open it sounds almost like it's mono but when I jump over to my daw it sounds like it's in stereo. Have I lost my mind or what, it's just a totally different sound.

****Lost my mind***** got it sorted, user error....cough cough

Oh BTW.......this baby F***ING ROCKS!!!! Love my AX8:D

Don't forget to eat and sleep (and work if you need to). :)

Sorry about my last post - I would blame my computer but its a MAC. Bad user.

When you load a preset from axe-exchange and have problems, is it a AXE FX preset that you are converting to AX8 with Frac Tool?
If you convert a preset that that AX8 cannot handle CPU wise, strange things can happen. I tried to convert a preset about
a month back that had way too many blocks. I believe it loaded and said the CPU was like 90+ percent. Then I played and the AX8 went nuts loosing the USB. I was able to reset and load that preset again - removing a bunch of blocks I didn't care about. Got the CPU down to 80 and it was ok. So, be weary of this as some AXE FX presets are pretty simple, but some try to put in their "swiss army knife do all". This was the first time this has ever happened, but when it did happen the only way to fix things was to reboot AX8.

You probably know this one already - when you load a preset from axe-exchange there is always the possibility that the preset was using a non factory IR. Most of the time people will state this in the information about the preset, but not always.

As for the stock AX8 presets not working - that is strange. When this happens are you using AX8 Edit - if so, does the factory preset show up in AX8 Edit - meaning - is it actually loaded into the AX8 or is the last preset with no sound still loaded? Or does the factory preset show up on the AX8 screen?

Sorry about my last post - I would blame my computer but its a MAC. Bad user.

When you load a preset from axe-exchange and have problems, is it a AXE FX preset that you are converting to AX8 with Frac Tool?
If you convert a preset that that AX8 cannot handle CPU wise, strange things can happen. I tried to convert a preset about
a month back that had way too many blocks. I believe it loaded and said the CPU was like 90+ percent. Then I played and the AX8 went nuts loosing the USB. I was able to reset and load that preset again - removing a bunch of blocks I didn't care about. Got the CPU down to 80 and it was ok. So, be weary of this as some AXE FX presets are pretty simple, but some try to put in their "swiss army knife do all". This was the first time this has ever happened, but when it did happen the only way to fix things was to reboot AX8.

You probably know this one already - when you load a preset from axe-exchange there is always the possibility that the preset was using a non factory IR. Most of the time people will state this in the information about the preset, but not always.

As for the stock AX8 presets not working - that is strange. When this happens are you using AX8 Edit - if so, does the factory preset show up in AX8 Edit - meaning - is it actually loaded into the AX8 or is the last preset with no sound still loaded? Or does the factory preset show up on the AX8 screen?

Short answer.....it didn't have any cabs in the patch....but even when i went back to a factory patch I had no sound. This was using ax8-edit at the time.

Welcome!

I have been a FAS user for about 2 years now.
I just spent the last 10 days going through each amp model, using 1 IR.
I wanted to hear and feel how each amp would react to the IR.
May seem a bit extreme, but I found it was a good opportunity to learn.
I was surprised how some amps sounded with it.

Welcome!

Great idea....which IR?

Welcome!

This is a MUST in my book. ... Tell me it wouldn't be nice if the F switches on the right side the AX8 would act as a "model select up/down" when using AX8-Edit ?

It could be used for auditing different IR's or drives , or whatever block is selected as well.

The 2i2 only monitors in mono, so you have to monitor through your DAW to hear the stereosignal.

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome!!!

That's a great idea, my problem right now is there is so many amps and cabs to choose from I'm having a hard time staying on one combination.....so many excellent amps to choose from. I also need to stick with one guitar since both of mine are so far from each other sound wise.

Great idea....which IR?

This is a MUST in my book. ... Tell me it wouldn't be nice if the F switches on the right side the AX8 would act as a "model select up/down" when using AX8-Edit ?

It could be used for auditing different IR's or drives , or whatever block is selected as well.

Sounds like a good idea.

The 2i2 only monitors in mono, so you have to monitor through your DAW to hear the stereosignal.

I've been so busy messing with the AX8 that I'm forgetting the simple things like what you said....LOL

Threw this together quickly this morning before leaving for work. The backing track was a little bit fast, found it on youtube. I haven't played this solo since 2001..seriously, it's been that long but it is a easy one to play. It's a little sloppy so please forgive me. Until I got the AX8 I hadn't played guitar in 6 months.

I modified a stock preset just a hair (can't remember which one) it was in the first bank I think. The patch is quit heavy on the effects now though. LOL

The amp was the TS808 OD > Friedman BE V1 > 4x12 Basketweave tv mix > pitch detune > dual delay > lodon plate reverb. I used a cheap squire that I changed out the pickups on a few years ago. Has a Lil' 59 & JB jr...

Little update and I hope this doesn't turn into a big debate on which is better, so bare with me for a bit.

I received a Helix the other day and I also have the AX8 still. I loaded my old Helix patches up and was like yep this is what I remember. It was familiar, easy to navigate around and the scribble strips are really nice to have (they aren't necessary, just convenient). I played around with it for a few nights and planned on sending the AX8 back. Yesterday I got to messing around with running effects on the Helix in parallel and trying a few different things. I just wasn't feeling it at the time, fired up the AX8, loaded a preset, put delay and chorus in parallel, slapped a london plate reverb in the chain and was like WOW....this is the sound I'm looking for. It was so easy to dial in and sounded sooooo good.

I'm going to A/B them both some more over the weekend but as of right now I'm leaning towards keeping the AX8. I don't have to have scribble strips.

That's very similar to how I felt.

The Helix was fun and had a lot of great features and sounded good. But when I got the AX8 it sounded so damn good I couldn't stop playing. It's like my starting point was better than my ending point with the Helix for dialing in tones. And I don't have to do more than twist the amp knobs and pick the right cab 99% of the time.

That's very similar to how I felt.

The Helix was fun and had a lot of great features and sounded good. But when I got the AX8 it sounded so damn good I couldn't stop playing. It's like my starting point was better than my ending point with the Helix for dialing in tones. And I don't have to do more than twist the amp knobs and pick the right cab 99% of the time.

I feel the exact same way!!!!

Tomorrow is my first day back with the praise band at church and boy do I wish I was using my AX8. We didn't have practice this week and I didn't want to just wing it using it live for the first time, still have lots to learn. I'm using the other board I have but next week will be using m AX8

Back
Top Bottom