AX8 in 4CM

has anyone had the opportunity to try an AX8 and FX8, using just effects?

i believe the FX8 has been optimized for use with 'real' amps but im wondering if the AX8 actually doesnt work as well as the FX8 with real amps in practice.

thanks

the ax8 doesn't have relays to control channel switching, and it doesn't have the "special sauce" input/output circuits the fx8 does... but it does have the fx matrix, which makes for more flexible routing.

I love my fx8, but I sometimes wish for more routing flexibility.

I haven't tried them at the same time but I have used both in 4cm with an evh 5153 and couldn't tell the difference. If I was doing super critical recording there probably are some subtle differences but I'm not sure my ears are good enough to tell them apart, they just sounded great.

I can definitely tell the difference. The AX8 is not as quiet, or as transparent, as the FX8 in 4CM with an amp. I no longer have the FX8, but if I were using amps and wanted Fractal FX, I would choose the FX8 over the AX8. Having said that, the AX8 works great in 4CM and meets my needs.

Here is one I set up for testing. It's not really something that I spent any time dialing in...

I have expression 1 assigned to both the Wah and Volume blocks. Scene 1 bypasses the Wah. Scene 2 passes the signal through the Wah and turns off the Volume Block. The Wah is set to Auto Engage so it does not come on immediately when switched to Scene 2.

Attachments

• 4 CM.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 32
Can someone post a 4CM patch? Curious how you are setting up the grid, but also getting some ground hum with the AX8 and my Hayseed amp.
The hum is not in the patch but in some ground loop. Try a signal isolation box. Or different mains...
I simply grab a patch, replace amp with a shunt and cabs with the loop block.

I just started using AX8 in 4CM with my FX8 this morning.I think the potential is incredible, I'm still working on optimizing levels and figuring out where the FX LOOP block is most effective on AX8 (either right after CAB or at the end of the chain) , but with HUMBUSSTER cables, things seem dead quiet and transparent. When Q3 comes on our AX8s, I expect to be quite a happy chappie .

I just started using AX8 in 4CM with my FX8 this morning.I think the potential is incredible, I'm still working on optimizing levels and figuring out where the FX LOOP block is most effective on AX8 (either right after CAB or at the end of the chain) , but with HUMBUSSTER cables, things seem dead quiet and transparent. When Q3 comes on our AX8s, I expect to be quite a happy chappie .

Thanks for the like, Matt, I seem to remember you brought this scenario up briefly in a previous thread..Do you have any tips , advice, or presets to share about this specific setup to make the most of it...?

Yeah i raised this on the AX8 and FX8 forums weeks ago and got not much encouragement at all. Personally i think it's a great idea.Really keen to see how you go.I'm currently doing a similar thing with an AX8(fx) and Atomic Amplifire (amp/cabs).Would really love to setup the AX8 FX8 combination though but at the moment can't afford to get the FX8.

Yeah i raised this on the AX8 and FX8 forums weeks ago and got not much encouragement at all. Personally i think it's a great idea.Really keen to see how you go.I'm currently doing a similar thing with an AX8(fx) and Atomic Amplifire (amp/cabs).Would really love to setup the AX8 FX8 combination though but at the moment can't afford to get the FX8.

Well, it seems our Admin M@ is in agreement (why wouldn't he be...), and in my early experiences, the pairing of the two units is pretty awesome...almost as if this is what FAS had in mind all along.... The CPU relief on both units is somewhat of a revelation .and we know what can happen with future firmwares....

Can someone post a 4CM patch? Curious how you are setting up the grid, but also getting some ground hum with the AX8 and my Hayseed amp.
If using HUmbuster cables per the manual doesn't get you there, check out the EbTech Hum Eliminator box,
works beautifully, and has saved my hiney on more than one occasion.

in 4CM you really don't want any CAB block to be present anywhere in the chain,
and also negate the power amp simulation in all amp blocks, or you will dubbling up
on poweramps and cabs.

Well, it seems our Admin M@ is in agreement (why wouldn't he be...), and in my early experiences, the pairing of the two units is pretty awesome...almost as if this is what FAS had in mind all along.... The CPU relief on both units is somewhat of a revelation .and we know what can happen with future firmwares....
Yep have to agree on all counts, the two units together would be awesome!!

and also negate the power amp simulation in all amp blocks, or you will dubbling up
on poweramps and cabs.
on poweramps and cabs.

No, Richard, Iam speaking specifically about using AX8 as the source of AMP/CAB, and using FX8 with that only...I think I will start a new thread, as to not confuse the issue of OP,. In which cases you are correct.

Back
Top Bottom