AX8 How many of the same block?

JRod4928

Power User
The XL allows you to use like 4 EQ blocks simultaneously. 2 or 4 delay blocks, etc. How many can you use in the AX8?

I've read quite a bit on the AX8, but did not see a specific answer to this. You can run as any as 8-10 blocks in addition to the amp and cab, but I didn't see anything specific saying how many instances of a single effect you can dial up. Maybe one of the FAS folks or beta testers will chime in on it. Personally, I don't need more than two instances of any block... hopefully that will be possible. It may be dependent on the kind of block and how much DSP it uses.

According to Joe's comments in the video (in the second link below) they have "doubled up on common" FX, inferring two instances, but it didn't sound like 4 of one was available. Again, that's taken from inference, not direct statement.

AX8 amp modeling and multi-fx pedalboard - Axe-Fx II Wiki The Wiki Info, Yek and crew's never ending contribution to Axe Fx knowledge

AX8 - Everything We Know (October 2015) | AxeFxTutorials.com Chris' great recap on "What We Know..."

Last edited:
I bet more than two reverbs or drives (power-hungry blocks) will not be possible. Even then, I doubt two of each would sum up to 8 or 10 effects.

It's OK to me, anyway. I never use two reverbs and rarely two drives.

It's OK to me, anyway. I never use two reverbs and rarely two drives.
Same here... occasionally two delays and I am working on a mimic of my King of Tone pedal with two drives so that might be useful. And I think that is there, but I don't know about 4 instances of a block. That sort of horsepower might be left to the Axe Fx, which is reasonable considering the intent of each. I feel really confident the AX8 will do all of what I need for a typical gig. And I am not replacing my XL+ with it, I am more "accessorizing," so I can say this fits its intended use for me very well. When you consider what you are getting for the price of a half-dozen decent pedals, it's hard to bemoan the "limitations." I see folks asking much more than this for a single boutique pedal (the Klon Centaur as an example, several of which are on Ebay right now for more than what I paid new for my Axe Fx XL+). The value to available quality tone ratio you get with the Fractal products is downright amazing when you think of all that.

One other thought... If you truly need more pedals, this does go on the floor and accepts them before the guitar input and in a loop. You can always add. I might just drop the KoT in front and call it a day!

Since it's all conjecture at this point, I'd look at the FX8 for an indication of the block instance quantities per preset available on AX8. That is, two each of the blocks that makes sense (delay, reverb, drive, EQ, etc) and one each of the other blocks (multidelay, enhancer, etc).

All we know for sure is 1 amp / 1 cab.

I read on a TGP thread somewhere that AX8 might only have 1 reverb instance, but I think that was a misinterpretation of Joe's comments in a video.

Cliff and Co mentioned that 4 drives for the FX8 could be a possibility. That'd be cool.

Back
Top Bottom