AX8 high gain guys. What's your favorite clean preset or amp?

JTI

Power User
There are tons of mid and high gain choices out there. I am addicted to the Friedman BE currently. If you are a person who digs on some gain; what clean amps do you dig? Any presets in the axechange tripping your trigger?

There are tons of mid and high gain choices out there. I am addicted to the Friedman BE currently. If you are a person who digs on some gain; what clean amps do you dig? Any presets in the axechange tripping your trigger?
I use the USA clean or the Cameron clean with chorus,delay and reverb. I go for a "This love" By Pantera kind of sound.

I honestly don't know what my version of an ideal clean tone is as I love gain too much :D

I messed with the ODS clean patch for a bit yesterday and it was a decent starting point. I'd like something that will give a little raunch when I dig in but not too much. I don't know. It's just too easy to start playing Slayer riffs that I keep skipping out on setting up a clean patch :p

Shiver Clean is a great clean amp!
For what you are describing (raunch) I love the wrecker amps or comet concourse. I use a light amount of gain on those and dial the input trim back a little. Split coils and the use the volume knob to clean it up, roll on the volume to add grit.

Reactions: JTI
I use the AC15 TB model for mostly clean sounds. Its the best EOB sound I have found so far.

Dude

Check out the Citrus A30 CLN, gain down, treble and bright up, with a fender 2x12.. I'm in love with that clean sound.

Lots of great suggestions in here. I was wondering if I can get the BE to clean up even better than my rolled back gain via expression pedal using some crafty configuration. That way; all three tones can be on one preset without X/Y switching.

The one we don't have yet :(

:D

Haha! Don't need it either! The amps including currently are awesome.. Btw, the Camerons and Splawns clean up great. You assign a controller to Input Gain and you use an expression pedal for every shade of clean to full-on overdrive. I prefer them to the Friedmans but others of course would prefer the Friedmans. . Also that Top Boost ac15 mentioned above is really nice cleans or hairy cleans for sure. Eric

Lots of good choices for cleans. My two favorites are the Suhr Badger 30 and Brit JM45. I also like USA Clean, USA Pre Clean, and Double Verb Vib.

I also keep seeing Shiver Clean come up, so I'll have to check that one out.

Currently using mostly the Shiver Clean for my clean tones also. I have found that it's rather boomy/bassy though at loud volume. Have tried to eq it out with not much success. What tips do you recommend for dialing this out?

Lots of good choices for cleans. My two favorites are the Suhr Badger 30 and Brit JM45. I also like USA Clean, USA Pre Clean, and Double Verb Vib.

I also keep seeing Shiver Clean come up, so I'll have to check that one out.
DL'd Burgs' JM45/IIC patch and converted it to AX8. That JM sounds excellent as a clean amp. I'm going to try building a patch around it when I get time.

I have heard good things about the Shiver and the AC and Orange suggestions up above are also tempting too...

Biggest problem with the Ax for me is it is a tweaking blackhole of epic proportions :openmouth:

Kinda hard to beat the fender clean amps. Just need to give em a comp or boost the MV with out distorting the am to give them girth.

Tried Hook 3B for gain and clean sounds.
For clean, add comp and take it easy on Input drive setting.
Works for clean stuff.

Tried Hook 3B for gain and clean sounds.
For clean, add comp and take it easy on Input drive setting.
Works for clean stuff.
I am going to dig into the hook amp once I get through gigging this weekend. Heard nothing but good things about it!

Back
Top Bottom