AX8 Global "Matman" style Volume Boost?

Dealmaker

Inspired
Guys,

Anyone have any bright ideas on how to do a Global Volume boost - off an external switch - like a Matman stye boost on the FXII ???

To be clear -no I don't want to use a block in each Preset.

A quick review of the manual for something, the only thing I could see that doesn't require midi cc sending footswitch would be to assign your footswitch to the +/- 12db Amp Gain setting. Not sure if the end result would be quite what you're looking for but other than that it still appears that (since AX8 doesn't provide global blocks) you would have to add a null filter block with the +db boost you want and then assign it to your footswitch.

Though I'm certainly no expert on mine yet, perhaps someone else will have another idea, best of luck. Post back if you get it solved.

From what we have today, it appears it can't be done. I was using the Matman boost trick as well on the Axe II. Instead I'm just shoving in two null filters at the end of each preset chain for either a quick 3 or 6 db boost (or combo). It wouldn't surprise me if Fractal comes up with another solution once they iron out the high priority items on their list.

Use a specific scene: example 8 and assign a footswitch for scene 8. set the output level for that scene higher

Only way I can think of without using a block

Cheers guys. Yeah I am stumped also.

Only other option could think of is to have a separate small MIDI with - that fires a CC signal to CC#11 the Master Volume Controller - but I don't know how it would be set to switch between say FULL volume 127 and whatever LOWER level you wanted - say 105 for example.....?

I know you said you don't want a vol block in every preset, but this is the only way I can see it working globally. You set a controller pedal attached to the vol parameter, set your min vol at heel down, max at toe down, now you have a global vol pedal that ONLY works on scenes with your vol block active.

Cheers guys. Yeah I am stumped also.

Only other option could think of is to have a separate small MIDI with - that fires a CC signal to CC#11 the Master Volume Controller - but I don't know how it would be set to switch between say FULL volume 127 and whatever LOWER level you wanted - say 105 for example.....?

Ok, I may need to try to fine tune it but I may have a solution, found totally by mistake.

Yesterday I was setting up my fv500h to work as an expression pedal. When I went to calibrate it, it was moving from 83-98..., so as a volume pedal it was lowering the volume while in heel down position, but not all the way, and up the volume in heel up. I realized that the knob for volume in the pedal actually controls the range of the pedal's perceived movement. I changed the knob and calibrated again and it was going from 0 - 98.

SO TWO POSSIBLE SCENARIOS:

1. Adjust the level of movement in the pedal so it has only limited volume and assigned it as a output volume control. Then the heel down brings your volume down enough and heel up becomes a boost, which is just full regular volume.

2. Using a pedal with this same procedure, but limit its perceived range, which I think the fv500h does. I mean, heel down is volume at 70, heel up volume at a 100. Connect your output to it and from here to the console. It would be become a post Ax8 "boost"

Again, these are just ideas as I have not tried them but I noticed this behavior with this pedal yesterday and it could be a partial solution to the "problem"

Ok, I may need to try to fine tune it but I may have a solution, found totally by mistake.

Yesterday I was setting up my fv500h to work as an expression pedal. When I went to calibrate it, it was moving from 83-98..., so as a volume pedal it was lowering the volume while in heel down position, but not all the way, and up the volume in heel up. I realized that the knob for volume in the pedal actually controls the range of the pedal's perceived movement. I changed the knob and calibrated again and it was going from 0 - 98.

SO TWO POSSIBLE SCENARIOS:

1. Adjust the level of movement in the pedal so it has only limited volume and assigned it as a output volume control. Then the heel down brings your volume down enough and heel up becomes a boost, which is just full regular volume.

2. Using a pedal with this same procedure, but limit its perceived range, which I think the fv500h does. I mean, heel down is volume at 70, heel up volume at a 100. Connect your output to it and from here to the console. It would be become a post Ax8 "boost"

Again, these are just ideas as I have not tried them but I noticed this behavior with this pedal yesterday and it could be a partial solution to the "problem"
I'd put an actual boost pedal in the fx loop did it for years with other setups works a treat

I'd put an actual boost pedal in the fx loop did it for years with other setups works a treat

Thanks - yes that would work.....except that as this will mainly be a gigging unit - I will be using the FX Loop/Output 2 - as my "echo" feed to my on stage monitor - so I can control my own volume. Hence unfortunately I wont have an FX loop available to me - one of the shortcomings of the AX8 in my opinion.

Thanks - yes that would work.....except that as this will mainly be a gigging unit - I will be using the FX Loop/Output 2 - as my "echo" feed to my on stage monitor - so I can control my own volume. Hence unfortunately I wont have an FX loop available to me - one of the shortcomings of the AX8 in my opinion.
Not sure if this would work,could you put a boost pedal in line with your echo out to monitor ?

Not sure if this would work,could you put a boost pedal in line with your echo out to monitor ?

Yeah I could ...but then the only thing that would be boosted would be my own monitor mix. The FOH signal wouldn't see any boost - which is where I want it more.

Back
Top Bottom