AX8 for Fractal Freshman in 2022

pushead2

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, and I apologize, but I'm looking at this from the angle from a buddy who has never owned a Fractal.

A buddy of mine comes by my rehearsal spot to hang out & loves playing through my AF3 and always says he'd love to get one but it's out of his price range. Through some friends, I found a great deal on an AX8 (< $450) - which I think would be perfect for him.

Given the price point, and the fact he's never owned one, do you think the AX8 holds up in 2022 for him? He's a cover band type of player, plug into his headphones to rock out at home and sometimes does originals, too. He's coming from an older Boss multi-effects pedal.

Just looking to avoid any type of issues of him playing the AX8 and then saying "this sounds awful compared to your rig", which I don't think would be the case. My band used the AF2 for a bit and we loved the tone from it and made the switch to the AF3 because of the pitch block.

EDIT: I know this will be brought up, but the FM3 is not in price range. Given his currently financial situation, it's not an option at all.

I appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Personally, I'd try to save up for the FM3, but if that's really not an option, then so be it. In any case, an AX8 for $450 sounds like a great deal. The unit still sounds as good as ever and lots of them are still in use on professional stages.

Personally, I'd try to save up for the FM3, but if that's really not an option, then so be it. In any case, an AX8 for $450 sounds like a great deal. The unit still sounds as good as ever and lots of them are still in use on professional stages.
Sadly, it's not in the cards at all due to his current situation & it's less than $450.

I'm going to set up the deal and get it for him.

Last edited:
Sadly, IMO, the AX8 is a black sheep in the fractal lineup. The editor is clunky and the onboard controls are not great. Sure, I gigged it a bunch, but the FM3 is light years better.

AX8 is still a great piece of gear. Still own it.

Even though I have an FM9 inbound I have no doubts of grabbing the AX8 for any future gigs.

It does sound great and is very capable. That said, it has been EOL'd and is not getting the stream of updates the other product are.
AX8 is still a great piece of gear. Still own it.

Even though I have an FM9 inbound I have no doubts of grabbing the AX8 for any future gigs.

Sadly, it's not in the cards at all due to his current situation & it's less than $450.

I'm going to set up the deal and get it for him.
Good call that's a great deal on a great product.

I have an AX8 and had/have zero urge to get the FM3 (I am on the list for the FM9, which is effectively quadruple the price of that $450 AX8). The AX8 definitely will not awful compared to your rig and will sound comparable to the Axe-Fx II that you were already familiar with.

The one caveat I will agree with is the onboard UI. It is the best of all the units for tweaking standard tone/volume/gain knobs, but becomes a pain for deeper editing and creating presets. (I think there are some options you cannot even access on the onboard UI). The editor on a PC does a great job for that.

The comment that it is not seeing updates is effectively a non-issue for someone new to modelers/Fractal. There are so many options, the ability to tweak will be almost overwhelming for a long time. (I am biased because I do not like updates. I bought one of the original Axe-Fx Standards in 2008 and never installed the later updates because I already had my tone dialed in exactly the way I wanted it... I guess I am more of a player than a tweaker).

Oh, and tell him to be careful about the USB port on the AX8... It is kinda fragile and will readily break if there is tension while moving the unit when plugged in or if stepped on (kinda odd for a floor unit that is otherwise meant to be stepped on). If you break that, you lose the ability to edit on a PC.

Good call that's a great deal on a great product.

I have an AX8 and had/have zero urge to get the FM3 (I am on the list for the FM9, which is effectively quadruple the price of that $450 AX8). The AX8 definitely will not awful compared to your rig and will sound comparable to the Axe-Fx II that you were already familiar with.

The one caveat I will agree with is the onboard UI. It is the best of all the units for tweaking standard tone/volume/gain knobs, but becomes a pain for deeper editing and creating presets. (I think there are some options you cannot even access on the onboard UI). The editor on a PC does a great job for that.

The comment that it is not seeing updates is effectively a non-issue for someone new to modelers/Fractal. There are so many options, the ability to tweak will be almost overwhelming for a long time. (I am biased because I do not like updates. I bought one of the original Axe-Fx Standards in 2008 and never installed the later updates because I already had my tone dialed in exactly the way I wanted it... I guess I am more of a player than a tweaker).

Oh, and tell him to be careful about the USB port on the AX8... It is kinda fragile and will readily break if there is tension while moving the unit when plugged in or if stepped on (kinda odd for a floor unit that is otherwise meant to be stepped on). If you break that, you lose the ability to edit on a PC.
I appreciate your post because I can confirm he's more of a "plug in & play" guy.

I think it'll be perfect for him - especially since he sometimes fills in for a local cover band. This will be perfect all around.

Back
Top Bottom