AX8 - First gig report.

richb

Inspired
I have used an FAS Ultra exclusively since 2007. For several years I played electric guitar in a typical pop/rock band. That ended three years ago, and I decided I wanted to do something simpler and smaller, so I started an acoustic duo. I’ve been doing that for two years now and I have used my beloved Ultra in the duo, but when I saw the AX8, I knew it was an opportunity to downsize my rig a bit (i.e., no separate controller needed). I took delivery of my AX8 a week ago, and because I am familiar with FAS “logic”, it was fairly easy for me to set up a few patches. I play a Taylor T5, so I dialed in an acoustic patch, a “mild electric” patch, and a Bass patch (I play bass as well). For effects I keep it pretty simple, I use Chorus, Reverb, Delay, Drive and Wah. I LOVE the EV-1 pedal. The range feels a bit longer then say, a Cry Baby, but I have found I like that. I felt like it was easier to get to a sweet spot on the Wah, if I wanted to hang there for a passage in a solo. Something new for me was using a Boss FS-5U to engage a Volume boost via a Null Filter block. I’m not sure I like the FS-5U because there is not light to tell me it’s on, and between playing, singing, etc., it’s nice to have a light tell me if it’s on. I would prefer not to dedicate a switch on the AX8 for the volume boost, so I'll need to do some homework on an external switch with a light (any suggestions out there?). As for the AX8, it performed very well. When I changed patches or engaging effects was easy and flawless. Not hiccups, pops, odd sounds, etc. I need to go back and “EQ” my settings a bit, as I thought I was a little "bassy", but that was to be expected, since this was my first gig with the AX8. I also play a 4-string electric mando on a couple of songs, so it’s nice to take my basic patch, and tweak it for the mando, then save it as it's own patch. I am trying get my head around a lap steel as well, so I’ll probably create a patch for that, too. Really, that’s what I love about the Fractal gear. You take your “core tone” and adjust it for any instrument or song you’re playing, then save it as its own patch. This way, from one instrument to the next, my levels, effects, etc. all start in the same ballpark, and then it's just a matter of a little fine-tuning. Overall I’m very pleased with the AX8 and it’s potential.

Nice to hear...sounds like it is a win!

Do you use the AX8 with the looper or is all your in duo music live? Out of curiosity as a duo what do you use for a PA? Sorry for the slightly off topic questions...I am in a similar situation moving from an active pop/dance band to a duo.

Nice to hear...sounds like it is a win!

Do you use the AX8 with the looper or is all your in duo music live? Out of curiosity as a duo what do you use for a PA? Sorry for the slightly off topic questions...I am in a similar situation moving from an active pop/dance band to a duo.
Glad to answer. No, I don't use a looper... Yet. For a PA we use the Yamaha MG12 USB. I like the compressors for vocals. Also, I think it's a decent mixer at that price. For speaker we use Alto TS 112A's. For reference we typically play small to medium sized bars/restaurants and we always have plenty of volume. We have also played some festivals, then of course, we use the house PA, mixer, etc. I have found the FAS gear works beautifully in that scenario, too.

Back
Top Bottom