Ax8, Finally got it, pretty easy start!

Ed Rogers

The men in brown finally showed up. I took the day off hoping they would show up early... Just like the cable guy.
Anyway, I was ready. My initial setup was guitar-wireless-ax8-dac, spdif-stereo. With Mac mini hooked up to ax8 by usb, and Mac to the tv, with wireless mouse and keyboard. Pretty slick setup, just sat on the couch with the guitar and controlled everything by mouse. I had a lot of extra time waiting today.
First, backed everything up, updated, and updated.... And updated. Started with guitar, played every preset. Honestly, I could build everything I'll ever need from the supplied presets. Some were exceptional though.
Now to bass. Built my first patch in a couple of minutes. Nothing deep, bass 400, cab, drive. Pow! There it was, sounded good. Dug into the drive, hit the mix hard, like 30 percent. Worked really well for bass, kept the low end smooth. Pretty happy for a few minutes of clicking. Then built a nice SV preset, smooth like butter, yet detailed .
That's all I could take. Messed around with compressor, but I needed a break . I think it will work really well for bass and guitar duties. It helped that I retread the manual a couple of times today while I waited. Really looking forward to putting a rig together for it! Thanks to this forum. Ed

Awesome, man. Really glad it's working out for you with bass. A lot of time, less is more when it comes to good bass tone. Some of us go off in the weeds with some intense presets, too :) Welcome to the forum!

Hi,
What a year! Well, in the last six months life has gotten in the way with the guys I play with. My cousin and I are the primaries, and he had been unemployed for a few years. He received a contract job from a local company that he lucked into($$$$$$). It's only going until March, so things will be picking up again soon.
When we do get together, I keep getting pushed to play drums, just can't find anyone to show up more than a few times. But, it is pretty fun to sit back and pay attention to what others are doing. I like playing guitar, but I love getting together and making music the most. Doesn't matter what I am playing...
As far as using the AX8, I over complicated my setup. I originally bought it to be able to switch guitar and bass duties through a single source, or rig. It did a very good job with that. But, I realized it was too complicated. It was easier to just have a bass rig hooked up, and switch guitars when necessary.
So, I do not use it for bass as much as I planned. I have a GK fusion 800 going into a 4x12 Aguilar or 2x12. No pedals. Just easy.
I have been playing guitar since about 1980, some long breaks, but always had a dusty rig setup in the house ready. I grew up with big tube setups, and am surprised that going to modeling isn't a big deal to me. I thought it was before when I had modellers, but in hindsight, I think it was that the quality just wasn't even close yet. Now, the technology seems to have gotten to the point where we can have the conveniences and a satisfying tone?
To be honest, I mostly use factory presets with minor tweaking. I mostly just change out cabinets. Tweak a few dials here and there then store. Rearranging effects to a standard layout really helps too.
But, it's just a tool to make music with. And, so far it has worked flawlessly. My goal has been to get everyone to be direct to the board, and only use monitors for sound. The drum set is a hybrid Roland/ Yamaha acoustic set with mesh heads and electronic cymbals, and it's pretty amazing. But, the other guitar player just bought a new Marshall combo. Hard to teach old dogs new tricks...

Back
Top Bottom