AX8 - Best way to augment and save CPU? (Delay vs Reverb)

vkcarrillo

Okay, I'm starting to pre-plan my rig as the waitlist is pushing through into December when I signed up. I want to use the FX LOOP to insert a hardware "Block" to help save some CPU on the AX8. Initially I was thinking putting the Strymon BigSky there and letting it handle my reverb duties. However, now I'm thinking of maybe keeping the Reverb Block active on the AX8 and using a Strymon Timeline for all the delays. Which do you think would save the most CPU? Which would provide the best audio? Is the Strymon Timeline better than the AX8 Delay Block or is the Strymon BigSky better than the AX8 Reverb Block? I can only afford one. Thoughts?

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I assume I can use the axe fx to send midi to the strymon and change patches. Would you even need to use the loop? I know that would give you the ability to put it anywhere in your chain but I almost always out reverb last so I could just run the out of the ax8 into the in of the bigsky and then that to how ever you amplify your sound. Right?

I put an Eventide H9 in the effects loop... gives me reverb, delay, pitch and modulation. :). Based on how I build presets and operate in a live/performance situation, I was constantly having CPU issues.

I use very little reverb on my presets. Sometimes a little spring reverb. If you need reverb a beautiful large reverb, you may have to cut down on other things. If you just need a little ambience for your delays or playing in general, you can use the diffusion setting in the delay block.

I think the first question for you is how important is reverb to your sound? The AX8 has beautiful sounding reverbs, but for someone like me who is satisfied with the spring reverb in a vintage Fender, I didn't need it. I thought about putting a TC HOF Mini (or even full size) on the pedal board for reverbs. But if you need/want that high res, high end studio sounding reverb, the choices on the AX8 will deliver but will use a lot of dsp power. Next question is the same, but with respect to delays.

Am I reading the spreadsheet correctly in that AX8 reverbs take over double the cpu (on average) compared to the axe-fx?

Last edited:
That chart is crazy! I can't believe the reverbs take up that much CPU. I'm really big on ambience reverb and lushness. Based on that chart I will be going with the BigSky.

That chart is crazy! I can't believe the reverbs take up that much CPU.

I really hope the excessive CPU usage by certain types of effects can be somewhat lowered in a future FW update. I've been struggling with hitting the CPU limit quite a bit lately. It's pretty annoying to always have to "workaround" it to be honest.....

I run a pretty simple patch. Just amp, no cab, pitch, wah, noise gate, geq, delay and reverb. And I'm at 88% CPU usage. But my delay and reverb is at the highest resolution. I can set it lower but it just sounds better that way.

If you are into ambient stuff or do a lot of delays, I can see how the CPU limit can be a problem.

Last edited:
Considered H9 myself for the reverbs. I like to have all types of wet effects in my presets missing out on a lot of those these days with the Ax8. Love the Ax8 dont mind bringing some external effects if it makes me even more happy.

FYI... for you guys running external MIDI capable effects (e.g. H9, Bigsky, Timeline, etc...), I reported, and Matt confirmed, a bug with the MIDI programming when done through AX8 Edit. Using MIDI-OX, I found that the AX8 was always sending on channel 16, regardless of what was configured in AX8 Edit. Matt eluded to, but didn't give specifics, about other bugs/issues around the MIDI page. His recommendation was to do all programming on the AX8 hardware as a workaround. Hopefully, this gets fixed soon as it may be a showstopper for me, for now.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax8-midi-send-channel-always-16.113289/

Back
Top Bottom