Ax8 at church this past weekend!

jhatem81

Go to play at 2500 seat auditorium....nobody there had heard of fractal lol. Everyone else uses an amp but they let me plug in the house to play lead. Heard some really nice things about tone although you have to listen carefully to hear it on this recording. Im guy on left with white tele

The male singer is...not great. Nor is the mix, though that's typical when they're going direct from the board. The guitar, when you can hear it, sounds great though. Thumbs up to AX8.

Go to play at 2500 seat auditorium....nobody there had heard of fractal lol. Everyone else uses an amp but they let me plug in the house to play lead. Heard some really nice things about tone although you have to listen carefully to hear it on this recording. Im guy on left with white tele

Sounds great. Thanks for posting..

can you tell me at what time sig I can hear the guitar ?

FWIW , I will never plug straight into the house .I play at church as well and I use an amp. The other electric guitar player goes straight to the house and uses in ear monitors. Last week during invitation the other guitar player and the keyboard player were the only 2 playing and the keyboard was the only thing coming through the house . The guitar player is using in ears so he had no clue that he wasn't coming through. Playing straight through the PA puts entirely to much faith on the sound man IMHO .

Now I have a question about the AX8 , I have an FX8 that I just got and I love it but I was thinking if I had the AX8 maybe I could switch to the clean channel and use an acoustic simulation at times .
So my question is , how good is the acoustic simulation ? that is if it has one, and does the AX8 have all the same effects that the FX8 has ?
thanks

You need better sound people then. I've gone FOH 100% since I got the Axe-Fx II and now AX8, and I've never had a problem. At all.

The acoustic simulation is pretty good. Certainly works in a pinch when you can't swap guitars.

As far as I know, the AX8 has all of the same effects as the FX8, but with the amp and cab simulations added.

can you tell me at what time sig I can hear the guitar ?

FWIW , I will never plug straight into the house .I play at church as well and I use an amp. The other electric guitar player goes straight to the house and uses in ear monitors. Last week during invitation the other guitar player and the keyboard player were the only 2 playing and the keyboard was the only thing coming through the house . The guitar player is using in ears so he had no clue that he wasn't coming through. Playing straight through the PA puts entirely to much faith on the sound man IMHO .

Now I have a question about the AX8 , I have an FX8 that I just got and I love it but I was thinking if I had the AX8 maybe I could switch to the clean channel and use an acoustic simulation at times .
So my question is , how good is the acoustic simulation ? that is if it has one, and does the AX8 have all the same effects that the FX8 has ?
thanks

Great Job, I use My AX8 Every Sunday for P&W. I also use ambient IEM's. I know it is always on, they blast me out front. Sounds good too.

yep but finding a good sound man is not so easy.

Well, that's true. But one doesn't have to be "good" to make sure the instruments are on and coming through FOH. That just requires basic competency, and anyone who can push a button should be able to make that happen. (Keyword "should"...I know it doesn't always actually happen. The struggle is real.)

Playing through an amp then to FoH doesn't guarantee your actually in the FoH mix, though, or that it's mixed well. Training and continued education about running sound and transition timing goes a long way.

I always have our sound guy at church demonstrate that he has me coming through FOH. But once the entire band is playing he does virtually nothing with the mix. More often than not, when I ask someone afterwards if they could hear me, the answer is "no". It's frustrating

Playing through an amp then to FoH doesn't guarantee your actually in the FoH mix, though, or that it's mixed well. Training and continued education about running sound and transition timing goes a long way.

That's true but at least I know the people in the first few rows can hear me, and I'm just old school. I like hearing the stage mix the way it actually is instead of what comes through in ears.

Back
Top Bottom