AX8 as pedalboard in front of amp

Souq47

Hi, everyone!

Next month I'll be filling in for the guitarist in a Rage Against The Machine tribute band, so I'm trying to emulate Tom Morello's setup which is guitar to pedals and then front of amp (which in my case is a Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic in the "Marshall" channel).

The thing is that the AX8 is causing an irritating high frequency, cutting bass and adding treble.

All the blocks are disabled right now, so one would assume that it would be "true bypass" and sound just like the guitar direct to the amp, but it's far from that.

I tried to dial down the AX8 output but it didn't get better.

What could this be?

Thanks in advance!

Jorge

Well, while investigating I just found out that Tom Morello actually runs all the effects through the effects loop. This is interesting and it might actually solve my problem.

However, any answer to my first question is more than welcome!

Have you tried setting power amp modeling to OFF? Can only do from the edit window on the AX8.

Also, can you post a preset for review?

Have you tried setting power amp modeling to OFF? Can only do from the edit window on the AX8.

Also, can you post a preset for review?
If all blocks are bypassed as mentioned in the OP then that should make no difference.

Also, using the AX8 as a "pedalboard" in front of a real amp, I would not expect there to be an Amp block ;)

If all blocks are bypassed as mentioned in the OP then that should make no difference.

Also, using the AX8 as a "pedalboard" in front of a real amp, I would not expect there to be an Amp block ;)

You are correct. But you never know what the problem might be until everything is checked and isolated.

If the Mesa amp is working ok and you stated with everything bypassed you still have a problem, this is interesting. Is the WAH set for auto-engage or activated by a footswitch on the AX8?

Well, since I'm at it and you nice folks are here, I have another problem:

My expression pedal is a Line6 EX-1 (which I modified to work with the AX8).

I never had issues (or so I thought) because until today I had only used it to control the wha. I'm not really a wah nerd so I never noticed problems in the range. But now I assigned it to control the pitch (to emulate a Whammy), set it to 2 octaves up at 100%, but when I press the pedal to the limit the pitch falls short a whole tone. For example, if I play an E, the pitch shifter doesn't go past a D.

Is this a problem with the course of the pedal?

Why is the Wah in parallel? That will add 6dB of gain...

And you are correct, sir. I was testing it to be on auto-engage mode, with X level up and Y level down, so I had to run it in parallel. Too complicated and dumb. But I took the snapshot when it was at that. Now it's back to series and working fine.

And you are correct, sir. I was testing it to be on auto-engage mode, with X level up and Y level down, so I had to run it in parallel. Too complicated and dumb. But I took the snapshot when it was at that. Now it's back to series and working fine.

That fixed everything or still having the amp sound issue?

Anyway, can anyone help with this issue?

"My expression pedal is a Line6 EX-1 (which I modified to work with the AX8).

I never had issues (or so I thought) because until today I had only used it to control the wha. I'm not really a wah nerd so I never noticed problems in the range. But now I assigned it to control the pitch (to emulate a Whammy), set it to 2 octaves up at 100%, but when I press the pedal to the limit the pitch falls short a whole tone. For example, if I play an E, the pitch shifter doesn't go past a D.

Is this a problem with the course of the pedal?"

Anyway, can anyone help with this issue?

"My expression pedal is a Line6 EX-1 (which I modified to work with the AX8).

Is this a problem with the course of the pedal?"
Did you calibrate the pedal?

Soug47. I am having the same problem as you stated in your initial post. It's maddening. I just had an amp built, it sounds great until I try to go thru the ax8. My amp is a clone of a "62 bassman , so it's real clean. Using no cab or amp block. The drive pedals in the axe 8 sound terrible through this amp. I tried a couple real pedals in front of the axe 8.and it was "ok" But still not right.

Back
Top Bottom