AX8 as effects unit into real tube combo

rdpar

Inspired
I am interested in some input as to the best way to utilize my actual hand wired Friedman Dirty shirley with the ax8. So far after a few hours of noodling around I have come up with a few good clean and not so clean Hendrixy SRV type tones. I have set my Shirley tones at 12'oclock , the master volume and gain set so that the amp is just beginning to break up , but still pretty clean, and I'm trying to use the ax8 to really dial in the right tones. Kind of tricky but I got it. I think:) See what it sounds like tomorrow with freah ears. Now for my les paul to get some real crunchy rthm and sustain for leads. Any clues you can share would be great:)

Are you going into the Friedman via the effects loop return or the guitar input? - with the AX8 I would think the effects loop is best so the AX8 does the preamp distortion.

As for the power amp, it depends how much the Friedman power amp colours the tone, even on a clean setting with lots of headroom there can be some colouration - experiment with turning the AX8 power amp section on and off to see what effect it has. You can turn it off by setting the Sag to 0 in the amp block.

This method sounds great thru my Marshal DSL 40. Even though it's an EL-34 power section I get a great fender clean. I like the Friedman's amp block as a pre-amp with the sag set to 0. Huge improvement over the DSL 40 on it's own, which I think is solid, when loud and a tube screamer pushes the green channel.

Back
Top Bottom