AX8 and Axe FX II Worship Video

Nozkcb

Inspired
This last weekend myself and another guitarist from my church used our FAS systems for the services. I'm using an AX8 with the latest firmware and running my own flavor of a Plexi rig. I'm the stage left guitarist playing the K-Line Truxton. My guitarist friend on stage right is playing through his Axe-FX II using a Fender Dual Showman rig (I think).

There is one song at the top of the service and two at the end.

Through the IEM's it sounded great to me and the rest of the players. I can see no reason to every haul an amp and pedal board to a service again.

FOH tech said it sounded like a studio recording. . .

Let me know what you think.

Piano and acoustic guitars were up front as most of the songs don't seem to feature much electric guitar playing. I did hear some ambient type swells here and there. Definitely could not make out the two guitars.

Do you guys do any Lincoln Brewster or other worship featuring rocking electric guitars with solos?

Overall sounded very much like a studio recording, however I'm in agreement with @cragginshred where you can barely hear the guitars.

I can just make out what you are playing between the verses in In Christ Alone, sounds very nice - I might try that next time I play that song - however the other guitarist with the Ibanez is pretty much not even coming through on my studio monitors.

Nice post production - do you have any other services where you played with the FAS gear?

I will play along and toss my self to the wolves.
Few disclaimers:
#1 all singing is in Spanish
#2 It is a drum cam video but you clearly hear guitar
#3 I had a stupid little piece of skin hanging off my finger on my picking hand and it hit a few more bad notes than I would hit on my own
#4 this is so not your typical ambient church tones or playing.

Band is just Keys guitars and Drums. All tones are Ax8 direct to FOH. Suhr T with ss pup config. Amp model is TripTik Modern into TT obot IR using a SM57/R121 mic blend. Some more driven lead line kicks in a zen drive and dry power chords is a full OD. Delay is Analog Stereo delay with 1/4 on one side and .8th on the other

Piano and acoustic guitars were up front as most of the songs don't seem to feature much electric guitar playing. I did hear some ambient type swells here and there. Definitely could not make out the two guitars.

Do you guys do any Lincoln Brewster or other worship featuring rocking electric guitars with solos?

Yep, unfortunately this service didn't have a lot of "electric guitar forward" songs, however it was the 1st service where we had 2 FAS systems going which is why I posted it.

FWIW. the Guitarist on stage right was doing a LOT of swell/pad like stuff that is actually pretty up in the mix on the last 2 songs. As far as leads go, we didn't do anything really rocking out this last weekend, but usually do more than what this recording had (figures, right?).

I'll be sure to post more services where the electric guitar is more forward in the mix when I can.

Regarding "Post production", I'm pretty sure the recording is a FOH mix plus a few room mics and that is all that it was. The church doesn't do any real post work on these videos, our FOH guy is just really, really good.

Love that song. Agree with other commenters in that the mix could be better. I use my AX8 for worship services all the time, and it works so well for that. I'm also a huge fan of the Plexi amps in the AX8. I use 2 for my go-to amps. I use the 50w and the 100w. I have the 50w set pretty clean with a Eternal Love and a Timmy in front of it. Just a touch of delay. I have the 100w heavier and darker with the same pedals in front. Both are extremely versatile and clean up really well for the more intimate music.

Really enjoyed the video man. Thanks for posting.

Few disclaimers:
#3 I had a stupid little piece of skin hanging off my finger on my picking hand and it hit a few more bad notes than I would hit on my own

Band is just Keys guitars and Drums. All tones are Ax8 direct to FOH. Suhr T with ss pup config. Amp model is TripTik Modern into TT obot IR using a SM57/R121 mic blend. Some more driven lead line kicks in a zen drive and dry power chords is a full OD. Delay is Analog Stereo delay with 1/4 on one side and .8th on the other

Haven't had a chance to listen to this properly, but is the audio in the video a direct feed from FOH or is it a camera mic?

Few disclaimers:

This is awesome. That drummer is great too. What's the name of that song? I lead in Spanish on occasion.

This is awesome. That drummer is great too. What's the name of that song? I lead in Spanish on occasion.
Drummer is a beast. He studied percussion endorsers Soul Tone, Pro Mark, Evans and some others.

The video starts at the very end of a Spanish translation to a song called Bless Your Name by Redemption Worship. Main song was Deciende by Marcos Barrientos and final piece of a song was Spanish version The great I am (called Gran Yo Soy)

Drummer is a beast. He studied percussion endorsers Soul Tone, Pro Mark, Evans and some others.

The video starts at the very end of a Spanish translation to a song called Bless Your Name by Redemption Worship. Main song was Deciende by Marcos Barrientos and final piece of a song was Spanish version The great I am (called Gran Yo Soy)
I introduced Gran Yo Soy for our Spanish congregation a few years back, with help from my discovery of the version by En Espirtu Y En Verdad (yours is a bit of a different take on it though, it sounds like). Thank you for the other titles...I don't think I realized those were two different titles. I don't speak Spanish (well, at least functionally) and but I deeply love our Spanish service pastor and his wife so I've taken it upon myself to learn so I can serve somewhat more effectively with them. I find leading in Spanish to be refreshing for my Spirit because the writing (lyrical content) is much better...or maybe careful, even when English songs are translated in a lot of cases.

I introduced Gran Yo Soy for our Spanish congregation a few years back, with help from my discovery of the version by En Espirtu Y En Verdad (yours is a bit of a different take on it though, it sounds like). Thank you for the other titles...I don't think I realized those were two different titles. I don't speak Spanish (well, at least functionally) and but I deeply love our Spanish service pastor and his wife so I've taken it upon myself to learn so I can serve somewhat more effectively with them. I find leading in Spanish to be refreshing for my Spirit because the writing (lyrical content) is much better...or maybe careful, even when English songs are translated in a lot of cases.
Musically it our take which is a mix of New Life Worship and Larue Howards. Spanish Lyric reference is by Julissa

Main song on clip Deciende music is our take on it. Everyone we do leans on the aggressive side once we get going and a lot of the cuts was just use evolving it live. We never played the song before except for at practice once on Thursday

My AX8 arrives today and I plan to use it in Church this coming Sunday. We do "In Christ alone" also, that was a great rendition. I am hoping to dial in a good "church dirt".
What always worries me about running in direct is even though we run in ear monitors, our soundman is not an "active" soundman. He is mainly there for damage control which frustrates me to no end cause he doesn't pay attention and then turns the guitars down lol.
at least with an amp on stage i was able to over power him some lol

Last edited:
My AX8 arrives today and I plan to use it in Church this coming Sunday. We do "In Christ alone" also, that was a great rendition. I am hoping to dial in a good "church dirt".
What always worries me about running in direct is even though we run in ear monitors, our soundman is not an "active" soundman. He is mainly there for damage control which frustrates me to no end cause he doesn't pay attention and then turns the guitars down lol.
at least with an amp on stage i was able to over power him some lol
If you don't mind a friendly suggestion, express your concerns and the reason for your concern to your worship pastor (leader). It is better to let the worship pastor address the concerns to the sound team. A lot of worship musicians have complaints about the sound team. If everyone voices those complaints to the sound team, it is no surprise that the sound team gets discouraged, as they feel like they are being ganged up on. Let the worship pastor be the point person to help focus the criticism so the sound team will improve. Just my $0.02.

If you don't mind a friendly suggestion, express your concerns and the reason for your concern to your worship pastor (leader). It is better to let the worship pastor address the concerns to the sound team. A lot of worship musicians have complaints about the sound team. If everyone voices those complaints to the sound team, it is no surprise that the sound team gets discouraged, as they feel like they are being ganged up on. Let the worship pastor be the point person to help focus the criticism so the sound team will improve. Just my $0.02.

Whats funny is I am part of the sound team as well on sundays i don't play. I design and run sound systems as my career, so when I try to express my issues that I hear especially on sundays when he is running sound (i am just in the congregation) it all just falls on deaf ears.
Church worship shouldn't drive me to frustration lol

Whats funny is I am part of the sound team as well on sundays i don't play. I design and run sound systems as my career, so when I try to express my issues that I hear especially on sundays when he is running sound (i am just in the congregation) it all just falls on deaf ears.
I absolutely get what you are saying friend. Seems like a lot of deaf sound guys and blind light guys end up in church. I just try to focus my heart on the right stuff.

It drives many many to frustration. I used to play at a Mega Church the kind that have Meyers everything. On most Sundays as far as the congregation was concerned I played air guitar. The sound guy only listened to Jazz trio music recreationally and guess how he mixed the band? Kick, snare, high hat, bass and keys way out front.

Back
Top Bottom