AX8 and Amps, Cabs and EFX ...... in lieu of a *full* manual, can we just get the following .... ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi Fractal

In lieu of a full manual - which clearly can take a lot of time to do - can fractal at least officially confirm / correct the following:-

=> with the AX8 have all the same Amps as the XL+ ...... Y / N ?

=> with the AX8 have all the same Cabs as the XL+ ...... Y / N ?

=> relative to the XL+, which pedals / efx will the AX8 -not- have ?

I realize I'm probably pushing jelly uphill with a toothpick, but thought I'd at least try :)

Ben

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Wait for the manual :D
-
Austin

They did include a list of effects in the website description of the FX8, so maybe they'll all the list for the AX8 on the product page. Since the work was already done for the FX8 description, I'm really wondering whether the absence of information for the AX8 indicates that the AX8 and FX8 do not share the same effects blocks. Nothing but speculation, but...

Cliff has already said the block definitions for AxeFX, FX8, and AX8 are all the same, meaning that individual blocks can be imported and exported from one to the other.

The only unanswered question is exactly which blocks will be included in the AX8.

And to be accurate, we know from the product page that the AX8 will have130+ internal cab IRs and 512 user IRs, but I haven't seen any confirmation that the included factory cabs will be the same IRs as the XL+. Unless I missed it, they could be different.

=> relative to the XL+, which pedals / efx will the AX8 -not- have ?

If you can't wait for the manual.. just look here and compare the Axe-Fx II FX list to the existing FX8 list. Most of us are guessing the AX8 will be similar to FX8*. Unless of course it isn't. :)

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Effects

From that, my guess is AX8 won't have the following...
Vocoder
Reso
4x Cho
MultiCmp
Synth

These are missing from FX8 because they are too DSP heavy. AX8 and FX8 have the same FX DSP.

Note that there are a few more Axe-FX II "FX" blocks shown that aren't really FX.. such as the FX Loop and the Mixer blocks. Those blocks aren't on the FX8, but I'd bet they WILL be on the AX8 where they would be useful.

* I don't see any reason AX8 couldn't run all the same FX as FX8.. but I suppose they could purposely 'dumb down' the AX8 FX capabilities so that the FX8 remains their superior product for FX only users. Sort of like how software makers build the full feature version first, then strip it down to sell a 'lite' version at a lower price. I doubt they'd do that.

* I don't see any reason AX8 couldn't run all the same FX as FX8.. but I suppose they could purposely 'dumb down' the AX8 FX capabilities so that the FX8 remains their superior product for FX only users. Sort of like how software makers build the full feature version first, then strip it down to sell a 'lite' version at a lower price. I doubt they'd do that.

Again, Cliff already said the block definitions are the same. Definitely not dumbed down versions.

Again, Cliff already said the block definitions are the same. Definitely not dumbed down versions.

I can't think of anything in the FX8 they could get away with leaving out of the AX8. Perhaps they're considering adding to the effects list in both FX8 and AX8 due to the recent code optimizations?

Looking through the FX8 manual it looks like the Multiband compressors are not included.

Anyone know if this is the case for the AX8 as well?

Back
Top Bottom