Bug? AX 8 Edit and Fractal Bot does not detect AX 8

Isyraf Samsuri

Hi all!

I am having difficulties getting my PC to communicate with my AX8. Th e screen cap below shows my AX8-Edit window.

I merely just connected the AX 8 with my PC and launched AX 8-Edit. However the software did not connect to the unit. In the settings, can be seen that the PC has recognised the AX8 however the usual green ticks did not come up.

And nope, did not run any other software other than this.

I tried on a different system and it is working perfectly. Is it a case of the usb ports? (My USB ports are USB 3.1)

Someone please help!

Capture.PNG

Hi all!

I am having difficulties getting my PC to communicate with my AX8. Th e screen cap below shows my AX8-Edit window.

I merely just connected the AX 8 with my PC and launched AX 8-Edit. However the software did not connect to the unit. In the settings, can be seen that the PC has recognised the AX8 however the usual green ticks did not come up.

And nope, did not run any other software other than this.

I tried on a different system and it is working perfectly. Is it a case of the usb ports? (My USB ports are USB 3.1)

Someone please help!

View attachment 39251
I notice you have Chrome installed. Make sure it is not running (even in the background). The AX8 supports 1 MIDI over USB connection, and Chrome has a known issue with connecting to MIDI devices.

I fixed my problem by refreshing the presets. Everything now works fine. Thank you, hope this helps others too!

I notice you have Chrome installed. Make sure it is not running (even in the background). The AX8 supports 1 MIDI over USB connection, and Chrome has a known issue with connecting to MIDI devices.
I can assure you it isn't Chrome, opened up a new windows user account with merely AX8 Edit but still nothing changed :(

About to try refreshing the unit to see if that would help.

I use Chrome exclusively on a Windows 10 PC and have never had issues with either of the AX8 or FX8 Edit programs or with Fractal-Bot. I'm not discounting those who have remedied issues by closing or uninstalling it but I would think if Chrome were the sole culprit, everyone using it would experience at least a minor issue from time to time.

We really need to find a way to know which process opens the midi port.
Could you try to run process explorer and search for a process having a handle to the midi device?

I use Chrome exclusively on a Windows 10 PC and have never had issues with either of the AX8 or FX8 Edit programs or with Fractal-Bot. I'm not discounting those who have remedied issues by closing or uninstalling it but I would think if Chrome were the sole culprit, everyone using it would experience at least a minor issue from time to time.
While I use chrome I haven't had this problem either though a quick search revels how to disallow websites from using MIDI in Chrome,

Here is how to disallow every website to use MIDI devices:
1. Click menu icon in top-right corner and go to Settings.
2. Click "Show advanced settings".
3. In "Privacy" section, click "Content settings".
4. In "MIDI devices and full control" section, check "Do not allow any sites to use system exclusive messages to access MIDI devices".
5. Click "Done".
Source is here,
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/hvIIowHSQow

We really need to find a way to know which process opens the midi port.
Could you try to run process explorer and search for a process having a handle to the midi device?

Ok so i searched up AX8 MIDI 's Physical Device Object Name on Device Manager, copy the text and searched it on Process Explorer. But nothing came up on the search and wasnt able to find it at all. Like, the search box did not show anything. Am I doing it right?

While I use chrome I haven't had this problem either though a quick search revels how to disallow websites from using MIDI in Chrome,

Here is how to disallow every website to use MIDI devices:
1. Click menu icon in top-right corner and go to Settings.
2. Click "Show advanced settings".
3. In "Privacy" section, click "Content settings".
4. In "MIDI devices and full control" section, check "Do not allow any sites to use system exclusive messages to access MIDI devices".
5. Click "Done".
Source is here,

I tried this but still no fix :/

SOLUTION IS HERE

I found out under AX8 MIDI driver details that ksthunk.sys is missing. This driver i guess allows the pc to communicate with the hardware, in this case, my AX8. Some searching on Microsoft forums and I found the solutionnnnn.

So for those having the same issue as I did, check first under Device Manager -> AX8 MIDI -> Properties -> Driver Details. If ksthunk.sys is not listed in the stack, then this solution is for you.

Solution
Type "regedit" in the search bar, then go to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

Then right click - New - Multi-String Value, change name to "UpperFilters" then change data entry to "ksthunk"

Last edited:
Ok i may have found a way to detect which process opens the AX8 midi in order to debug all these AX8 connection problems. (I must say that i never experienced any problem on my Win7...)

First step : Find the device object name. It's a raw name you'll have to find in the process explorer in the 2nd step.
In order to find it, open the windows' device manager, find the AX8 MIDI device under "audio, video and game" section.
Double ckick on it, then select the Details tab at the top. Then search the property name "Physical device object name" or something close (this is the string i translated from my French Windows).
It must be something like "\Device\000000c1".

Second step : open process explorer (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx)
Hit Ctrl+F and paste the string you've searched in 1st step ("\Device\000000c1" in my case, might be different on your computer)
Then you'll be able to see which process(es) have this device open.
Either force this process to close or use the process explorer to close the handle?

This now should give you a good way to track who's stealign the AX8 MIDI ports and prevent that in the future ;)

@joe rogers @Admin M@ , maybe something to try with next customer having this problem ;)

OKAY I FIXED IT

I found out under AX8 MIDI driver details that ksthunk.sys is missing. This driver i guess allows the pc to communicate with the hardware, in this case, my AX8. Some searching on Microsoft forums and I found the solutionnnnn.

So for those having the same issue as I did, check first under Device Manager -> AX8 MIDI -> Properties -> Driver Details. If ksthunk.sys is not listed in the stack, then this solution is for you.

Solution
Type "regedit" in the search bar, then go to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

Then right click - New - Multi-String Value, change name to "UpperFilters" then change data entry to "ksthunk"
My system doesnt have this sys file in the driver details for AX8 MIDI but i'm on Win7, so maybe this is only for Win10

Back
Top Bottom