Awesome but crappy guitars

My #1 is a 2007 MIM that cost me $400 and I've sunk about $600 in upgrades on it! LOL The only thing left original is the frets, wood and finish. I love it and wouldn't sell it for less than $2000!!! My Gibson Les Paul takes second seat.

I have a Strat like that. She recently got a new neck. I've been meaning to do a "New Neck Day" post. If you're going to throw that much in upgrades into a Strat, it makes sense to go with something MiM. I don't think the wood is much materially different than their made in Corona counterparts. With the volumes Fender ships, I can't see the US production line taking the time to hand-select woods. Custom Shop is a different story.

I have 2 PRS SC250's bought used, 2 Epiphone Les Pauls, an old Squire Strat (first guitar) and a Dean LP type guitar with a stain finish. I play the hell out of the PRS's, one of which was a really expensive 10 top that is awesome, I've dropped it twice (damn strap locks) - once it landed face down on my MFC, I've also smacked the headstock on a mic a number of times - so what was a 9.5 out of 10 is probably now about a 7 or 8. There is a noticeable difference between my 2008 SC (the 10 top - red) and my 2003 (silver sparkle), the red one I can go a whole show without tuning and it just plays a bit nicer. I ended up putting a few stickers on the silver SC including one on the back to prevent buckle scratches, and it is my main live use guitar, but the red one is just a bit nicer.

The Epi Les Pauls are both good enough, I like the blue one much better because it has better action and holds tune better (typically a set without tuning). I have the silver burst one tuned to Drop C and the blue one to A# for some heavier stuff our bassist and I are doing in a bit of a side project. They were my main guitars (in standard tuning) before I got the PRS's and were just fine. I don't ever play the Dean or the Strat...

I also have a PRS Paul Allender SE literally found by my step dad at a GoodWill store for 50 bucks with a broken key and lots of dings and finish scratches. He called me and described it and I asked him to buy it and I'd give him the cash next time I came by their house. After replacing the key and setting it up the thing plays great. It is one of my favorites to play. It's not in the picture because I have loaned it to our other guitarist semi-permanently. He was playing an Epi Goth LP which weighed a metric ton and played the PRS one day when a string popped and asked to buy it right away. I won't sell it to him but I'll let him play it as much as he wants.

So none of those are exactly cheapy guitars (especially the SC's), but I was always able to get what I wanted out of the Epi Les Pauls and could still do shows with them without batting an eye. For me it is just play what fits you and what you like, cost doesn't come in to play until it is time to explain to the wife :)

Guitars.jpg

What an awesome set op PRS's! Which one do you prefer? I own a '91 CU24, but thinking of adding a 408 for improved useability. (or a Paul with trem, but they are (too?) expensive.

Marco

I really love the 408s and use this guitar and a Experience 09 for recording. But for my usual midnight noodling it's mostly one of the Hollowbodys. Or the orange McCarty with rosewood neck, the first PRS I bought over 12 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom