Automation Connection Woes

Rich G.

Experienced
I'm trying to create an automation setup that I'll eventually use live. For hardware/software I have:
  • iPad running MultiTracker app for playing audio and Midi tracks
  • Behringer X32 Mixer using CC's to control effects and Cues
  • Dell Laptop running DMXIS lighting software using Note On/Off, CC's, & PC's to control lighting
  • AxeFX II using CC's and PC's to control Preset, Scene selection
Audio setup was pretty simple. Connect iPad to X32 (with X-Live card) via USB. 32 available tracks immediately show up in MultiTracker. All I have to do is assign an audio track to an X-Live channel. Easy.

Midi data was a completely different story. My plan was to connect up the Midi path like this:

[iPad USB Out]->-[USB In X32 Midi Out]->-[Midi In AxeFx USB Out]->-[In USB Laptop]

Well, that won't work since the X32 won't echo Midi commands received via USB to the Midi Out.

The X32 has an option to turn on RTP Midi (Midi over Ethernet). I thought it would work since the Laptop and X32 are connected to the same router. Turns out Behringer never implemented RTP Midi in the firmware... so that won't work.

I was able to find a program called rtpMidi that will run on the Laptop. Using that, I was able to get Midi from the iPad into the Laptop... but there is a lot of latency fluctuation in that path. BPM's are+/- 5 RPM or so.

Anyone have recommendations on how to route Midi so all devices will get their Midi data?

-------------------
Another problem I'm having is creating Midi tracks with PC data. I'm using Studio One 5. I can create Midi Tracks, however when I save a project as a midi file it will save all the separate Midi tracks, but the tracks with PC data are blank. The PC tracks work fine within Studio One. Am I missing something? Is there a way to export tracks with PC data from Studio One?

Back
Top Bottom