Automating lead boosts and wahs ... simple question (I hope)

Spawn2031

Inspired
Hello gents. So I've got an auto engage wah set up that works great but I have been running into a few situations where I don't have time to switch to my lead boost scene and hit the wah pedal fast enough. I kicked up the level in the wah 6db block figuring that this might be able to serve as my lead boost there but as far as I can tell, there is no difference in volume when its engaged. Anyone have a quick solution for this? I basically just want to be able to hit my expression pedal and have my wah kick on along with a volume boost.

Thanks!

For a post-amp volume boost the easiest way would be a block like filter w/ the same auto-engage setting as wah. Assign a modifier to any parameter (other than bypass mode) and set min & max both to the desired (constant) value.

Are you doing your volume boost with a flat filter block? You could maybe assign a modifier to the bypass of that block and adjust the curve (scale and offset probably) such that moving your expression pedal from heel down ever so slightly kicks off the bypass. that way your boost would come on when you move your pedal and and the wah auto engages.

Sure would be keen if you could expression link bypass states so that one block being engaged/disengaged would also have another blocks bypass state automagically modified by another and so on in a chain

I set all my lead patches (Gen I Ultra) with a Filter Block at the end of my chain. The + amount varies by amp/gain type, but usually varies around the 3-4.5 db increase. On the patches that I use a wah with lead....for example, Enter Sandman....I run 3 patches, a clean (with chorus/wah for the intro), a rhythm (that has a wah/lead boost) and a full solo (wah added). The patch I'm referring to is the 'rhythm' patch. I do the main solo, but I also do the lead fills during the second verse sections. I have my wah attached to auto turn on the wah/graphic EQ/filter/delay. I keep my wah in the toe down position so I sometimes have to alter the 'sweep' of the wah to accomodate a higher bite earlier in the sweep...but I can turn it all on by rocking it off the toe down position.

When we were a 3 piece, I had all my presets setup this way...rhythm was toe down....lead was toe up...wah/effects were 2nd exp pedal. Worked great as I could stay standing at my mic and change from rhythm to lead almost as fluid as having a separate tech run my sound.

For a post-amp volume boost the easiest way would be a block like filter w/ the same auto-engage setting as wah. Assign a modifier to any parameter (other than bypass mode) and set min & max both to the desired (constant) value.

Yeah, I am thinking that something like this would be the easiest setup. I understand how to setup the auto engage as I did it for the wah block I am using. Which filter type blocks are able to be auto engaged like the wah is? One of the songs we play is Man in the Box and there is 0 time to go from chorus to screaming lead with a wah rocking.

So just out of curiosity, why wouldn't just adjusting the level of the wah block work for this kind of boost? I would have thought that when the auto engage kicked on the wah block the higher level would boost the volume.

I set all my lead patches (Gen I Ultra) with a Filter Block at the end of my chain. The + amount varies by amp/gain type, but usually varies around the 3-4.5 db increase. On the patches that I use a wah with lead....for example, Enter Sandman....I run 3 patches, a clean (with chorus/wah for the intro), a rhythm (that has a wah/lead boost) and a full solo (wah added). The patch I'm referring to is the 'rhythm' patch. I do the main solo, but I also do the lead fills during the second verse sections. I have my wah attached to auto turn on the wah/graphic EQ/filter/delay. I keep my wah in the toe down position so I sometimes have to alter the 'sweep' of the wah to accomodate a higher bite earlier in the sweep...but I can turn it all on by rocking it off the toe down position.

When we were a 3 piece, I had all my presets setup this way...rhythm was toe down....lead was toe up...wah/effects were 2nd exp pedal. Worked great as I could stay standing at my mic and change from rhythm to lead almost as fluid as having a separate tech run my sound.

This sounds like a very interesting setup. I have thought a lot about doing something like this with having 2 patches in 1 like that. Maybe I'll look you up next time I'm in Appleton lol... Living in Wisconsin Rapids, Appleton is the closest GC I have around.

If Wah is before Amp I don't think you'll get the 6dB increase as the amp is compressing.

Also, I've moved to having a vol block drop my presets by 6dB and removing it for the lead sound. Should work either way as long as you are watching VU meters for the loudest setting.

I think the suggestion above on using the same modifier is a good one.

So just out of curiosity, why wouldn't just adjusting the level of the wah block work for this kind of boost? I would have thought that when the auto engage kicked on the wah block the higher level would boost the volume.

Your wah is probably before the amp, yes? If you're running a clean sound and you still have some amp headroom left, it should indeed boost your volume, but if you're boosting into a distorted, compressed amp, you're just getting more drive.

Your wah is probably before the amp, yes? If you're running a clean sound and you still have some amp headroom left, it should indeed boost your volume, but if you're boosting into a distorted, compressed amp, you're just getting more drive.

Yeah, it is before the amp and typically always distorted. Going into the HBE actually so that would explain why I'm not hearing the volume boost there then.

Most blocks can be auto-engaged. The block just needs some modifiable parameter. Filter block, null type is ideal for basic level increase w/ low CPU usage.

Awesome. Thanks for the info there. I'll start there and see what I can do. Lemme tell ya, getting an Axe at the same time you are starting a brand new band is the worst time, lol. Too much time learning new songs and not enough time to learn this killer unit.

Back
Top Bottom