Automated Preset/Scene midi changes using DAW (Lag)

Edrod

Power User
Hey guys,

I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. I am messing with my FM3 and automating preset changes using Reaper (daw) to backing tracks. I was able to get preset/scene change to work but there's a huge lag/delay when switching presets/scenes. I have disconnected Fm3 edit and no luck.

I've also bought a iConnectivity mio 1-in 1-out USB to MIDI Interface and also used my Scarlett 18I20 midi out to fm3 midi in with the same result. Also when it changes scenes, my Fm3 will go to different scenes before making it's way to the programmed scene.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Eddi

The CC for changing scenes should instantly go to the scene, without any intervening changes. Maybe you're sending extraneous midi messages?

The CC for changing scenes should instantly go to the scene, without any intervening changes. Maybe you're sending extraneous midi messages?
Thank you for the response, do you mind sharing how I can troubleshoot this, I don't understand it.

Sounds like you might be sending preset + scene change together?

Preset changes have a gap... Should be the same as changing from the onboard switches.

Thank you for the response, do you mind sharing how I can troubleshoot this, I don't understand it.
You can try installing a midi monitor like Midi Ox and observe the midi stream.

Also, make sure your FM3 is set to a specific midi channel and make sure you're sending your midi on that channel.

You can try installing a midi monitor like Midi Ox and observe the midi stream.

Also, make sure your FM3 is set to a specific midi channel and make sure you're sending your midi on that channel.
I'm not sure if these pics help.

20230219_114519.jpg

20230219_114455.jpg

1676832486472.png

I have not done DAW automation so I can't say for certain.

You're sending a PC followed by a CC... But no idea if that's a single "operation" or not.

The problem is the PC that precedes the CC. That shouldn't be there if you're just trying to change the scene.

So on the first midi Item, I just have a PC Type for it to change to the Preset (no CC). There's about 1-2 sec delay.

So on the first midi Item, I just have a PC Type for it to change to the Preset (no CC). There's about 1-2 sec delay.
So, the PC will take a little time to load.

It will load on the default scene, then you send a scene change.

That's why you see a different scene briefly before the one you send.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. So I have a setlist. First song is don't stop believing, I added the following

1. Add midi item at beginning of song - to chose Preset (PC type)
2. When verse hits (I want a new scene)
a. Added new midi item
b. Did a CC Type to choose Scene

There's a delay/lag, my understanding is that the delay/lag should be similar to footswitches. Unfortunately it is not, it's very noticeable.

Click the Route button in the track to see what MIDI output device and channel you have selected. The settings in your screenshot are for MIDI Input.

Click the Route button in the track to see what MIDI output device and channel you have selected. The settings in your screenshot are for MIDI Input.
Hello,

I've tried these two, with no difference

20230219_132230.jpg

Attachments

• 20230219_132153.jpg
    20230219_132153.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
It looks like your PC and CC messages are a bit less than one beat apart assuming your time signature is set to 4/4. When you say there is a delay, is that on both messages or just the CC message?

It looks like your PC and CC messages are a bit less than one beat apart assuming your time signature is set to 4/4. When you say there is a delay, is that on both messages or just the CC message?
The lag is on both CC and PC messages, (presets and scenes). It'll change either type of message around this time
1676840553084.png

It makes no difference if the midi item is longer or shorter :(

Last edited:
The problem you described in the OP, where there is a change in the preset/scene before going to the scene specified in the CC, was caused by sending a PC immediately prior to the CC.

If you're saying you've removed the offending PC, but now have a new problem, can you provide any details on this new problem? What exactly do you mean by "lag"? Can you provide a video that demonstrates the problem?

The problem you described in the OP, where there is a change in the preset/scene before going to the scene specified in the CC, was caused by sending a PC immediately prior to the CC.

If you're saying you've removed the offending PC, but now have a new problem, can you provide any details on this new problem? What exactly do you mean by "lag"? Can you provide a video that demonstrates the problem?
Hey Glen, the problem has not changed. I posted a picture with a describing that when a scene or preset is programmed to change, it changes way after it was programmed for. Hope this makes sense

Beginning of the song, programmed to change Preset
1676841843849.png

Let's say I want to change scenes for the solo

1676841875890.png

The automation occurs way after it's suppose to change (position)

Your message positions don't match that position in the timeline.

In the previous screenshot, your PC is at measure 93, beat 4, 88/100th and your CC message is at measure 94, beat 1, and 25/100ths. In the last screenshot, your verse marker is at measure 78, beat 2

Back
Top Bottom