'Auto' input impedance setting changes the internal hardware input circuitry based on what effect is dropped first after Input 1

shatteredsquare

Power User
a friendly reminder of yet more capability you paid for and are still constantly discovering...

I just discovered that the "auto" input impedance setting changes the input impedance, by switching in and out physical capacitors, based on what effect comes first on the grid. It's as subtle as being able to hear a fuzz pedal with a buffer in front, vs a fuzz pedal without a buffer in front.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Input_impedance

somebody tell me my dolphin ears are deceiving me...

...with a fuzz first in line it retains the high end crispiness of plugging straight into a fuzz pedal. If you put a PEQ first (block reset to flat), the distortion character of the drive block changes, loses some high end, stops fuzzing as much. I wasn't aware that the input PHYSICALLY automatically changes capacitors inside the box, based on what EFFECT is first in line...with drive pedals it makes a really big difference to not have a bunch of pitch and EQ stuff in front if you aren't using them. I tried a chorus block set on 100% dry and I think I can hear a difference when changing chorus types too, with the chorus block first in line, just trying to hear the effect of different impedance of different gear.

Auto input impedance 1.png

Auto input impedance 2.png

somebody tell me my dolphin ears are deceiving me...
They are no decieving you.

I wasn't aware that the input PHYSICALLY automatically changes capacitors inside the box, based on what EFFECT is first in line...with drive pedals it makes a really big difference to not have a bunch of pitch and EQ stuff in front if you aren't using them.
It defaults to the first effect after In1 and it's only active if that effect is engaged. If you bypass that effect it reverts to 1M impedance.

You can force the input impedance to any value you want by setting it on the In1 block in the grid. If you do this, the impedance stays at that value no matter the blocks in the chain or their bypass state.

Just ‘cause I don’t know... what does it do when multiple paths are connected to input1? Just default to 1M? I guess it must.A6ECAF91-222F-43AF-862B-599071AAD308.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom