Auto engage position

With Auto engage on/off for the wah at 95% the wah turns on correctly but on the backwards sweep it's turning on/off at around 75%.

I'm assuming this isn't a fault of the expression pedal I'm using because the graph matches pedal position.

Version 9.02

Movie below: Please click the image to watch it:

Tony

Last edited:
just so we know, what expression pedal are you using, and what is it connected to? the pedal jack on the axe? an mfc-101 foot controller?

i haven't experienced this, but haven't specifically looked for it. i could check tomorrow to see if mine does this.

wouldn't hurt to try to calibrate the pedals again (i know the graph seems like everything's correct, but what the hey).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Running a home made CryBaby wah conversion (Call it a Mission clone) with a 10k pot.

I just converted another Wah with a 50k pot and it's the same issue.

Both were plugged directly into the back of the Axe FX 2.

Tony

just so we know, what expression pedal are you using, and what is it connected to? the pedal jack on the axe? an mfc-101 foot controller?

i haven't experienced this, but haven't specifically look for it. i could check tomorrow to see if mine does this.

wouldn't hurt to try to calibrate the pedals again (i know the graph seems like everything's correct, but what the hey).

Where this is a modified Cry Baby pedal.....have you tried an actual expression pedal (ex. Boss fv500 or a real Mission etc.) to see if that is working normally?
Do you have an MFC101? ....you mentioned plugged into the back of the Axe..... Is it plugged into expression port of MFC?

ok, mine does this too and it's actually by design. at 95%, the effect will turn off promptly once it hits 95%, but to turn the effect on, you have to move it farther down into the range, a safety to make sure you really intended for that effect to change.

check out these 2 quotes from the wiki http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Auto-engage_a_controller:

What's with the Off Value parameter

Cliff: "It is speed based. 5% is the value it will shut off at. It will turn on when it detects the pedal has been moved faster than a certain velocity. This prevents the effect from engaging if the pedal slowly droops." Source

Bakerman: "The off val. is what the pedal has to move below (or above, for off values above 50%) for the effect to disengage. The AutoEng setting (Slow/Med/Fast) determines how long the pedal needs to be in that zone before that happens: 1000/333/100 ms according to II manual which seems about right for Axe I. BTW (on Axe I at least) the "on" threshold is 15% beyond the off value, so with an off val. of 5% and moving pedal upward from 0, the block will engage at 20%. But once it's on, you'd have to move below 5% to disengage."

Cliff: "It is speed based. 5% is the value it will shut off at. It will turn on when it detects the pedal has been moved faster than a certain velocity. This prevents the effect from engaging if the pedal slowly droops."
That explains what I thought was a bug. At last week's rehearsal I wanted to get a thin scratchy tone like a DJ taking bass and mid out of the mix. I edged the wah slowly upwards, trying to find the 95% cut off point ... it didn't cut off, and ended up at 100% with the wah still on.

You live and learn

That explains what I thought was a bug. At last week's rehearsal I wanted to get a thin scratchy tone like a DJ taking bass and mid out of the mix. I edged the wah slowly upwards, trying to find the 95% cut off point ... it didn't cut off, and ended up at 100% with the wah still on.

You live and learn

cool info....never knew that. That is actually pretty cool that it is velocity based for those 'pedals that may drop slightly' as mentioned..... thanks Chris....learn something new ;)

This makes sense and no sense at all.

I want to be able to switch the wah on and off like a real wah, not worry about speeds or time in zone.

What if I want a shrill feedback sound or a muddy wooly tone without worrying if I'm 2% away from disengaging because I moved the pedal 1000ms ago ? Etc etc.

I like that this zone feature is there but it's like a faulty toe switch on a Cry Baby.

It's a bug stopping me from using the wah so the wish I've posted in the wish list area stands.

I want complete control on activation and deactivation which is a reasonable request on a professional product I hope.

I understand i can use the double cable method with two TRS lines and a latch style switch but I don't see why that's an ideal solution when it could be easily software implemented.

Tony

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't own a MFC-101.

There are other controllers out there that will suit my purposes better. ie. Ones with colour coded programable screens instead of the magnetic stick on label style controllers around ;)

Tony

Make sure you calibrate your pedal IN THE MFC-101, not in the AXE-FX.

Back
Top Bottom