Authenticity of modeling recorded tones

Philip said:
Also, as for doing covers- tribute band or not- if you do a cover of a CCR song, you should realize that every CCR fan in the house is grilling you.

I live in Texas, there are a LOT of CCR fans here, and I've done my fair share of CCR, and Fogerty songs. Heck, in Texas, any southern rock, country, or AC/DC, if played wrong, is going to get glass objects hurdled at you if your in the wrong bar. :lol: And sometimes even if your in the right bar. :shock:

As far as a tribute band, I don't know if I could pull it off. There are a lot of bands out there that I really enjoy, and that I know a fair share of their songs (which I guess would be pretty important in a tribute,) but if I had to pick one band and say "I'm only going t play this" it would be a very hard decision. Plus talk about a picky crowd, if you did, say a Tool tribute, people are not only going to expect to see you out there with his Adams gear, down to his Silverburst Les Paul Custom, but the whole band is going to need to be almost BETTER that Tool, and I just don't have that kind of money, patience, or nerves.

Honestly, I don't know how you, and the other tribute guys do it. Tribute bands are some of the bravest musicians I know in general.

Guitar-Tiz said:
Philip said:
Plus talk about a picky crowd, if you did, say a Tool tribute, people are not only going to expect to see you out there with his Adams gear, down to his Silverburst Les Paul Custom, but the whole band is going to need to be almost BETTER that Tool, and I just don't have that kind of money, patience, or nerves.

Honestly, I don't know how you, and the other tribute guys do it. Tribute bands are some of the bravest musicians I know in general.

That silverburst Les Paul is sick. I was looking at Alpine white Les Paul Customs for the U2 show a few weeks ago- I almost just bought the silverburst one cos' it was so awesome.

As for being brave- it's not courage. As sad as it sounds- there is nothing I do better on guitar than U2 stuff and, frankly, I probably couldn't get paid to do anything else. The Axe-fx as definitely cut down on my airplane weight though! I am just waiting for the floor unit!

-Phil

Philip said:
That silverburst Les Paul is sick. I was looking at Alpine white Les Paul Customs for the U2 show a few weeks ago- I almost just bought the silverburst one cos' it was so awesome.

I know, I swore off Gibson after the PRS vs Gibson thing, and that guitar almost changed my mind. I'm all about the 7 strings now anyway, and since Gibson has pretty much decided 7's are a dying fad I don't think I'll be getting a Gibson anytime soon.

Philip said:
As for being brave- it's not courage. As sad as it sounds- there is nothing I do better on guitar than U2 stuff and, frankly, I probably couldn't get paid to do anything else. The Axe-fx as definitely cut down on my airplane weight though! I am just waiting for the floor unit!

-Phil

It's modesty, I tell you, modesty! :D

I thought this thread started by Terry Mcinturff was right on:

"Calling out to ?? Using recorded tones as a benchmark
Hello all,

First, questions for everyone, as follows:

Question #1:

When discussing "sounds" with your friends....how often do you refer to musical recordings as any sort of "benchmark" as to how you want your guitar/amp setup to sound?

Example: "I want to get Dickie Betts' lead tone on 'One Way Out' on the 'Live At The Fillmore East' record."

Question #2:

When discussing "tones" with your luthier, how often have you both referred to recorded tones as a way of establishing what you want to hear from your new guitar?

Example: "I want to be able to get the tone that EC got on the Bluesbreakers record, on that song called "Hideaway".

I am sure that all of you readers are getting the gist of what I am driving at.

We ALL use recorded tones as benchmarks for conversation..and indeed, for talking "design" with the builder.

Fact #1

It is a FACT that virtually 100% of the recorded guitar sounds that we think about have been..and we seldom stop to realise this... greatly alterred via the "recording chain". This is the series of equipment involved, as well as the decisions as to how to use this equipment, that result in what we hear from our stereo gear (playback systems).

In other words..in plain English..what we percieve about Jimmy Page's (substitute artist name here) tone on "The Ocean" (substitute song title here) is inherently incorrect as regards what Jimmy's tone REALLY would have sounded like, had we been standing a few feet away from his amplifier as he cut those tracks.

Another example: Had we have had the luck to be sitting front-row, right in front of Duane Allman's amp the night that the famous "Live At The Fillmore East" record was recorded...we would know that Duane's tone only sort-of resembled what the record sounded like.

Duane's tone that night would most likely have been (to our front-row ears) "brighter", "less smooth", and "no-where nearly as compressed".
It would have sounded "rawer" and not so easy to hear...but no doubt we would have been blown away, nonetheless!

Fact #2

The entire recording chain greatly influences how a sound "sounds" in our listening environment. When you play a CD at home, you can be sure that not one iota of what you are hearing is exactly what any particular instrument actually sounded like at the time of recording.

The "faithfullness" of the recorded sound varies from record-to-record...from engineer-to-engineer...from producer-to-producer..from equipment fad-to-equipment fad..all thru the various technology advances...and the list is overlong, indeed.

Go ahead and listen critically to a day's-long local classic-rock playlist; you will surely hear what I am talking about! (probaly, the biggest lesson will be that great songs RULE...the tones and tech behind them are way less important than we may want to admit).

The Basic Elements Of The "Recording Chain", and how these have alterred what we have been hearing.

Let's take a good sound coming from a guitar amp speaker, and see how that sound has been commonly modified into the sound that we have been hearing all of these years...via our stereos, etc......

1) The Microphone

When we place a mic in front of a speaker, the sound is automatically changed ....dramatically...by the characteristics of the mic...and a little "rainbow" of variations are made available via the actual placement of the microphone visa-vi the speaker.

Often, a mere one inch of mic adjustment will completely negate any smaller tonal influences gained via "Paf vs Paf" models, "guitar cable vs guitar cable", and the like. Tone cap values, etc, literrally die..... by comparison.

As regards what we have been hearing at home..or in the car...the microphone's tonal input has been huge, but many of us have not realised that......

2) The Microphone Preamp (the "mic pre")

Now that the guitar signal has been detected...and audibly colored (!) via the mic and it's placement....the microphone's signal has to be amplified via the mic preamp, so that the microphone's signal is strong enough to be recorded.

You know how we guitar players are really "picky" when it comes to our choice of guitar amps? Well...the same can be said about us recording engineers, and our mic pre's!

We all know, and love, the way that various guitar amps will help us to express our music. The amp is...really...the other 1/2 of the instrument (altho many of us builders do not want to admit this!).

Well....ahem...it is just the same for us recording engineers. We choose the correct mic for the job, and then choose the correct mic amp for the job.
The microphone preamp colors the recorded tone...as does the rest of a
mixing board via it's mic pre's, EQ sections, and much more. This amounts to a huge influence upon what we hear.

Again...to our listening ears as we listen to a professional recording....these above two factors...the mic choice/ mic placement and the sound of the mic pre...influence what we hear WAY beyond littler things, such as choice of guitar volume pots, etc.

3) The Mixing Board

The mixer is the interface betwixt the mic and the recorder. Every bit of this unit sculptures sound.

Each section of the mixer is responsible for capturing and sonically shaping sound sources (input modules), grouping multiple inputs together (groups or busses), applying selective sound modifiers (auxiliary ins/outs).

Just as in the world of guitars, there are highly regarded/expensive mixers. These mixers alter the sound GREATLY, so....brands such as Neve, API, Raindirk, Helios, Trident, Neotek, and a few more....reign supreme, just as our LP's and Strats do, in our world of guitars. These desks helped to sculpt the sounds that we love. These mixers have A Sound that is big, wide, and professional. They are loved for the color that they impart to the sound.

This topic from a guitar maker's view

We all use recorded tones as tonal references. I do so, practically every day!

And, I cannot count...simply cannot count the times that a CD has been held up as a standard...."can you build that sound?"

I'll almost invariably say "I don't know. Tell me more".

Given all of the variables...it would be completely unprofessional for me to say that "I can build you a guitar that nails the 'Crossroads' tone (etc etc). I CAN say that I can build that chassis (but I'd rather build-out the dead spots)

How the influence of the Recording Chain has influenced my work

The only way that I was going to take-on the Telecaster...in my mind, a perfect design as originally concieved...was to build something that could mimic my favorite recorded tones of that design. So...among other things....I wanted to see if i could build-in a tad of that LA2A compression (using wood) as well as a select bit of passive inductor based tone control (ala a specific part of the famous Pultec)....the TerryCaster was the result

Let's hear from the Builders

I look forward to hearing from the other builders about this stuff.

What are your thoughts (independant of what I have written) about using recorded tones as references? Please be specific!

What is your understanding of the entire recording chain as it applies to your designs? How do you go about explaining such to clients? What experiences have you had that have informed your logic along these lines?

Finally, how has your knowledge of the recording chain improved your work, and satisfied client expectations?

In Closing

No doubt that we will all be referring to sounds on CD's. etc, forever. And why not...it is all that we have! I'm just trying to point out that the original sound sources on any record have changed by the time they reach our homes.

Go ahead and use recordings as references...with due caution. The more that we understand this...the better job that we can do as regards fullfilling our expectations!

Many thanks to all who have been steadfast and whom have read this long post.

Terry McInturff

It used to be that there were musicians and there were recording people.

The musicians worked really hard to get a balanced sound on stage or in a recording room.
They mixed themselves. Eg. If the string bass player couldn't be heard the drummer played quieter. Etc.

The recording guys' job was to try to reproduce the experience of hearing the band playing live in the room.

But as the years went by certain studio tricks were used that allowed them to change the actual dynamics of what live musicians were actually creating on stage or in a room. Eg. Turning up the string bass in the mix so that the drummer could play louder.

These techniques have become the norm, much to the dismay of certain populations of musicians, like some segments of the contemporary straight-ahead jazz community. But lots of other musical communities welcome this whole heartedly.

As for me, when I play, whether it's a jazz gig or a wedding or an R&B gig in a club, my main concern is getting a sound I like for me that fits well with what I hear the rest of the band doing.
Getting that blend is harder with loud modern R&B bands because it's impossible to balance the instruments with a drummer who's hitting the drums as hard as is expected for that type of music these days. So you just have to play for yourself, cross your fingers, and hope that the sound-man can sort it all out for the audience.

But if I'm playing jazz and 4 guys can't get their own mix on stage then they're not guys I really want to be playing jazz with. With good guys it's up to us to make the music and it's up to the sound-guy to translate that as well as possible to the audience.
Some of them try to make it sound "better" than it actually does and most of the time I hate that. *We're the ones* who decide what it sounds like. That's what being a musician is. It's his job simply to make it sound as much like us as he can.
IMO

When I go into a studio I still expect that division of labour to be happening, but depending on the genre the engineer's input can be greatly expanded. I've spent most of my life learning to play the guitar not twiddling dials on a recording console. If it's my project then I expect him to work toward getting the sound that *I* want to hear and if and when our goals clash I expect him to be able to show me why doing things differently than what I want will result in an overall better recording.
I tried running my own little 8-track studio in the 80s and the main thing I learned about that was that there are all sorts of people who have dedicated themselves to being the best studio engineers they can be, just like I've focused on being a guitar player. I don't know what they know, nor do I want to.

If I'm not the leader on the session then, although I will give my input as to how I'd like it to sound in the mix, I give it all up to the engineer and the leader. It's their project. It's their responsibility. But I almost always hate what they do to my stuff.

The Axe is bit too powerful for someone like me. It has the capability of a whole guitar-tracking studio in 2-rack spaces. There are some things it can't do that a good engineer should be able to do with post processing, but by-and-large the Axe has got all the processing that any engineer would ever need for most guitar tracks.
All I try to do with the Axe is to get a decent sound out of my monitoring system the same way I would work with a real amp and my old stand-by effects.
I suppose as I put in more time with the Axe I may delve more into various studio tricks, like Multi-band compression, etc. But for now I like to keep that division of labour happening.

Interesting thread.

Back
Top Bottom