Wish Authentic mode on Effects

Mwah ....
Also, the modeling of amps and drives is different from the modeling of modulation and time effects.

Seems to me only having like one knob for things such as “rate” for an authentic phaser would be kind of needlessly limiting and silly. You can do so much more with having added stuff like a tone stack, depth, number of stages etc

i really dig the authentic mode on the amp block , sometimes less is more and easier to tweak

i wonder if it would be helpful is some cases if the models like MXR
flanger , chorus , phaser and some delays only showed a 3 or 4 knob authentic mode

What if it was a pedal that only had one or two knobs to start with ? Would adding additional, though useful knobs, still count as authentic ?

I agree. Having an authentic page for all FX would make the UI much easier for newcomers, who are likely used to a simple 3 or 4 knob pedal.

Of course the advanced menus should always be there for those of us that are team Fractal for those menus, without a doubt.

Most of the effects are not "models"... They are mostly generic "types" and don't fall under the same paradigm as Amp and Drive blocks where all are specific models.
i would agree but some definitely are like ADA flanger, Mxr Phase 90
Mxr Flanger etc etc
my point is you have different types of players the big rack guys like your Vai , Petrucci etc but others that like the simple 3 knobs pedals
like Nuno , Paul Gilbert , neither are wrong its just personal choice
it would be nice to pull up the pedal types and get authentic controls if you wish .

It's so easy to ask, but I think that you guys don't realize the work involved...
  • Knobs on the "real" devices don't always correspond 1-to-1 to specific parameters in the blocks.
  • The tapers haven't been measured (I think) and don't correspond with the position and range of the virtual controls.
  • Devices often have controls which are not present in the models because they don't fit the algorithm / framework.
  • Often there are multiple versions of a certain pedal or device.
  • GUI has to be adjusted and maintained.
  • Etc.

It's so easy to ask, but I think that you guys don't realize the work involved...
  • Knobs on the "real" devices don't always correspond 1-to-1 to specific parameters in the blocks.
  • The tapers haven't been measured (I think) and don't correspond with the position and range of the virtual controls.
  • Devices often have controls which are not present in the models because they don't fit the algorithm / framework.
  • Etc.
And thats fair , we probably don’t realize the work involved it was just an ask . I also know it would not work for every effect either
but some types like the mods
and maybe simpler delays like a memory man or a carbon copy type
but again its just a wish, not a complaint

• Etc.

Exactly! Take a “simple” pedal like the MXR phase 100.

All it has is a rate knob, but then also 4 (I think?) positions for different amounts of regeneration/depth. How do you make a GUI which would represent 4 knob positions and encode it so it knows what all it needs to adjust “behind the scenes” in the hidden parameters to mimic the real knob behavior ? Then on top of that, it would need to be specific for that given pedal, as that knob is behaving differently than the color switch on something like a Small Stone.

what you’d essentially need to do it create a model of every effect pedal you wanted to include and code all the controls to behave in a one to one manner, which isn’t how the blocks are set up. You’d also need to do this somewhat differently for all the different effect types, and any unique models of effect with less common parameters would also likely need additional coding and parameters.

Then it all seems a little silly because on the hardware realm, people seem to be wanting more controls. Many don’t seem to want a pedal with just one, it’s too limited, it makes like one, maybe two sounds and that is about it. Seems most new pedals are Taking classic circuits adding extra pots for more parameters, letting you change stages in a phaser, add depth and rate etc.

hardware wants to take things more advanced, more control, yet people want software to get more basic, take controls away.....go figure lol

Reactions: yek
Exactly! Take a “simple” pedal like the MXR phase 100.

All it has is a rate knob, but then also 4 (I think?) positions for different amounts of regeneration/depth. How do you make a GUI which would represent 4 knob positions and encode it so it knows what all it needs to adjust “behind the scenes” in the hidden parameters to mimic the real knob behavior ? Then on top of that, it would need to be specific for that given pedal, as that knob is behaving differently than the color switch on something like a Small Stone.

what you’d essentially need to do it create a model of every effect pedal you wanted to include and code all the controls to behave in a one to one manner, which isn’t how the blocks are set up. You’d also need to do this somewhat differently for all the different effect types, and any unique models of effect with less common parameters would also likely need additional coding and parameters.

Then it all seems a little silly because on the hardware realm, people seem to be wanting more controls. Many don’t seem to want a pedal with just one, it’s too limited, it makes like one, maybe two sounds and that is about it. Seems most new pedals are Taking classic circuits adding extra pots for more parameters, letting you change stages in a phaser, add depth and rate etc.

hardware wants to take things more advanced, more control, yet people want software to get more basic, take controls away.....go figure lol
I think it depends on the goal
of the individual player
realistically why have any thing authentic then ?
i know there was a lot of people unhappy w the authentic amp controls , yet it turned out to be a very popular feature that many people find useful ,intuitive and familiar

Back
Top Bottom