Austin Buddy Live Gold setup with Studio Monitors ?

TimPRS66

I have an FM3+ FC6 with Yamaha HS5's, solely for Home Use, no gigging and being used in an Apartment.

Absolutely love the FM3 and the sounds, but seen a lot of people rave about Austin Buddy's Live Gold Presets, I don't like to spend a lot of time fiddling and deep diving into the FM3 to "fine tune' presets.

However i note the following, the Live Gold Presets are made for:
  • Gigging / Stage use
  • 90db
  • Uses Atomic Neo CLR's

Given the above and i am using the small HS5's and won't play at Gig sound levels, would purchasing Live Gold be a waste, or is there a simple Global Parameter(s) Settings or EQ Tweaks i could use, i did search forum's and online but could not find the answer, just before i splash out $99.

@austinbuddy

Thanks
Tim

Gday Tim,
Obviously “the man” @austinbuddy will give you the best advice, but I can tell you live gold are great in my studio with no major issues or changes needed.
Thanks
Pauly

I have an FM3+ FC6 with Yamaha HS5's, solely for Home Use, no gigging and being used in an Apartment.

Absolutely love the FM3 and the sounds, but seen a lot of people rave about Austin Buddy's Live Gold Presets, I don't like to spend a lot of time fiddling and deep diving into the FM3 to "fine tune' presets.

However i note the following, the Live Gold Presets are made for:
  • Gigging / Stage use
  • 90db
  • Uses Atomic Neo CLR's

Given the above and i am using the small HS5's and won't play at Gig sound levels, would purchasing Live Gold be a waste, or is there a simple Global Parameter(s) Settings or EQ Tweaks i could use, i did search forum's and online but could not find the answer, just before i splash out $99.

@austinbuddy

Thanks
Tim

Others can chime in, but they translate well. I dialed them in (latest version - 2023) on an Atomic NEO CLR and a Redsound MF10 together.

The main thing you may have to do for using with studio speakers or DAW recording is a low cut. LiveGold is trying to get that “amp in a room feel” so there is good bass. But cutting hi pass only set at 125-150Hz on a DAW track tames any issues with that.

Alternatively 1400+ Naked Amps (not for FM3, but for FM9 and the III) was dialed in with mixing speakers in mind. But it uses two amps and cabs in most presets so it cannot be ported over to the FM3 unfortunately.

Last edited:
Others can chime in , but they translate well. I dialed them in (latest version - 2023) on and Atomic NEO CLR and a Redsound MF10 together.

The main thing you may have to do for using with studio speakers or DAW recording is a low cut. LiveGold is trying to het that “amp in a room feel” so there is good bass. But cutting hi pass only set at 1125-150Hz on a DAW track tames any issues with that.

Alternatively 1400+ Naked Amps (not for FM3, but FM9 and the III) was dialed in with mixing speakers in mind. But it uses two amps and cabs in most presets so it cannot be ported over to the FM3 unfortunately.

Do you mean 125-150hz high pass??

I bought the package for home studio and I do not regret it, I use third party impulses I choose one that sounds like I want without adjusting frequencies.

I use Live Gold with my III going into a pair of HS-5’s, those presets get a TON of use from me. Everything is paired with an IR already, the routing just makes it easier for live use if you’re going out to a power amp.

I use Live Gold based presets for live and studio use. They make great templates for building your own presets and I've learned so much from Austin Buddy's routing and parameter settings. I can't recommend them enough.

Yes, my typo. Use a DAW filter that cuts everything on a 12db slope under around 150 Hz if you want to record with LiveGold presets for that - the sounds will sit better in your mix that way. Typing on iPhone while traveling, excuse typos!

Do you mean 125-150hz high pass??

Last edited:
I might also say that my Yamaha HS8s tend to be more on the bass side of things to begin with, at least in my setup.

I did not know that the Live Gold package was voiced with slightly more lower end.
I did know they were created with gig volume in mind.

The tip to do some low cut is helpful.

I’m kind of curious about this as well. While it sounds great in my Adam’s, I can never play at too loud of volumes due to current housing setup. Would I have to set the cut in the daw program (using protools) or is there a setting to make it sound that way in the cab or amp block so I can save it as that?

I’m kind of curious about this as well. While it sounds great in my Adam’s, I can never play at too loud of volumes due to current housing setup. Would I have to set the cut in the daw program (using protools) or is there a setting to make it sound that way in the cab or amp block so I can save it as that?
The easiest and quickest way to globally cut bass across all presets for playback is to use the PEQ/GEQ global outputs.

Just do your cut at the Global Out (1,2 etc.) you are sending to playback speakers (or DAW). Problem solved.

So…
After a lot of hesitation I pulled the trigger and bought the Livegold for my fm3, saying to myself if even that I don’t really like the tones, Austin has some serious chops on tweaking and they can be used as a kind of masterclass.

I’m really a Marshall guy, and even if the factory presets are great, it’s quite hard to tweak them to get the right « feel », really easy to overtweak them and just feel lost.
So tonight a just browse and play through some plexi presets at bedroom volume with my horrible Presonus Eris 3.5.

And OMG… the presets are fantastic!

Everything is clear, the tones are stellar, the feel, the attack, everything was there.
I thought I knew how to tweak and Ho boy I was wrong.
The Marshall presets (the 50 watts is fabulous for kotzen tones) are by themselves worth the price.

Can’t wait to try those 1000 tones lol and crank them!

Thank you for your work @austinbuddy !!!!

Back
Top Bottom