Auditioning Presets, Cabs And Loading IrS Mac For People Having Trouble

npdcoremetal

Inspired
First off if you are trying to either load your old Axe-Fx II presets or ones you may have downloaded first thing you need to do for presets and firmware updates only is go download SysEX Librarian from the SNOIZE Company.

LOADING PRESETS AND FIRMWARE

Now that you have downloaded and installed your SysEx application you are about ready to get going. First thing you need to do especially if you are running Pro Tools of some sort and your going to be jamming through Axe-Fx Via DAW to Studio monitors is open Pro Tools or your DAW first. I say this because some DAWs are picky about opening midi based programs before the DAW is opened and the DAW will not open. If this is not an issue for you then no need.

Now you got you DAW all fired up and ready open SysEX and go to the file that the presets are you want to Audition or load. Highlight all the preset files you want to check out and Drag them to the SysEX Window and drop. Now go to the top where it shows where it is sending these messages and select AXE-FX II Midi In (I.E. AXE II USB) Make sure if you do not see that in the menu your Axe USB is pluged in, if it is and you still do not see it in the menu do not panic just unplug the usb from your AXE-FX and wait a second and plug it back in. If that still Does not work unplug the whole usb line shut the axe down replug it back in and it should pop up, if it does not restart your computer and try agian, do make sure to have current AXE-FX USB drivers.

Once all that is over go to your AXE-FX and turn it to preset number 1. Then make sure only one preset or sysex message is selected. Either hit play to have it sent to your Axe-Fx or double click the preset your trying to load and it will send it. If you do not see the preset your trying to load this could be due to two things. 1 it isnt an AXE-FX II file or it sent it to some random spot in your preset files on the AXE-FX II. If it did not load and you KNOW FOR SURE ITS AN AXE_FXII FILE, then its corrupted or in some random spot.

Just repeat this every time you want to load a preset or firmware. Be aware the reason I say use preset 1 to load is cause it seems to not overwrite what you already have saved then you can either tweak your auditioned preset or save it as is into whatever slot you like.

LOADING AND AUDITIONING USER CABS

If you are wanting to load cabs and or audition them, unfortunetally your goin to have to go purchase from OWNHAMMER AXE-O-MATIC DSP, YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!

Once you have your AXE-O-MATIC open it plug the axe usb in and re-scan midi on AXE-O-MATIC and it should pull up AXE II MIDI IN & OUT. Once you are all connected you can pick wether you want to audition a cab and or download a selected cab to a user location as well as mix cabs together. BE AWARE TO START AUDITIONING CABS IN USER SLOT ONE AND REMEMBER THE CAB YOU HAVE THERE BECAUSE IT WILL BE ERASED!!!!

Now lets say we are just wanting to audition a bunch of cabs first. You can either select a specific library to pull the cabs you want to audition from or just go down and click in the right corner the box next to the dots and it will open a loading window. Once you have that window open and navigate to your prefered library and pick your cab. Repeat this as many times needed to load cabs. Now that you have all the avialable slots full its time to audition. Before you do I advise that in your preset to set the cab block to mono no hi cut no low cut no motor drive. This way you can hear exactly what this cab was intended to sound like. I have found for your Ownhammer Beta cabs the sm57 models are super loud much loader than almost every other IR so to correct this just select normalize data. I try to audition the cab first and if its rediculous loud or something is off I normalize data. Now that your auditioning cabs and you are on a cab ir that you just think is the best cab ir ever and want to save it go to where the audition buttom is and select download cab then pick the user slot number you would like to send that cab to and go down to the name box and name that cab whatever suites your needs. Make sure the cab your wanting to send to the axe is the only one select and if your trying to send more than one i recomend saving that specific mix first then sending it to your axe. Something that I have ran into that you need to be aware of is that when you are switching from audition to download and sometimes when your just auditioning the cabs you select to listen to keep sounding exactly the same this can be from several things. First is you just named a cab and downloaded it to your axe and forgot to go to audition, Second is the program lost connection even though it says its connected and the axe is showing it is getting the message, Third you downloaded a cab to the AXE and went back to audition but left the cab name in the rename window(I have no idea why it does this but it does). Fourth is your ears are playing tricks on you and it is different just not by much, finnally you have been auditioning cabs for hours and do not realize it and your ears need a break. A safe mixing, jaming or music listening level is 80dB or below up to 6 hours at a time before fatuige sets in. I know it is hard to not to want to jam as loud as you can but it is to your bennifit. I am aware of the fletcher munsun curve, however with these ir and auditioning too loud is going to be a waste of time because once you come back and jam some of those cabs again your going to be like what was I thinking.

I will try to make a video of some things and I am aware there is some of this stuff posted, however I know how difficult it becomes searching for things that are fairly old and when your wanting to do something not wanting to spend 5 hours getting there.

Nice post, informative and helpful :)

I do however feel the need to point out that you don't strictly HAVE to buy the Axe-O-Matic to do this, there are other options as well. Using the Audition feature in the Axe Manage part of AE, like I do, will get you there as well.
Or using SysEx Librarian, altho that can be a little hit and miss at times, as cabs don't always go into the slot you expect them to :)

But the Axe-O-Matic has other nice features as well, so it's still a good deal to get it :)

I loaded every open user cab slot with Snoize SysEx Librarian & never had an issue with it going to the wrong user slot.

Back
Top Bottom