Auditioning guitars using Axe-FX II and In Ear Monitors

Hello.

I'm an Australian wondering whether it is a good idea to use the Axe-Fx II and In Ear Monitors (JH Audio JH16 to be specific) to audition different guitars? From what I understand the preamp in the Axe-Fx is of a high enough quality to not act as a bottleneck in judging the tone of a guitar, and the JH16 IEMs are also of a high enough quality to really show how the guitar sounds.

PROS:
A consistent platform to audition guitars. Not dealing with the sound of the room, the warming up of tubes. I'll really be able to tell what each guitar sounds like.
Portability and versatility. The Axe-Fx II combined with IEMs is about the most versatile portable rig on the planet.
I can use both the IEMs and the Axe-Fx II for mixing, mastering, personal use, gigs etc as well

CONS:
I'd imagine I'll have to make the presets a little dry to allow for the reverb in the room.
Unable to utilise feedback.

a good idea to use the Axe-Fx II and In Ear Monitors (JH Audio JH16 to be specific) to audition different guitars?

I have the same IEM's and they sound great! :) Although I rarely use them these days because I'm the only one with IEM's in my band, and with blasting monitors and amps on stage it gets way to loud to have the source that close to you.

I would personally not recommend depending solely on the JH16's tough. Try to listen to your presets at as many systems as possible, this way it will be easier to hear what is really going on in your sound.

But if you feel comfortable with them and you know what they sound like then start with them but have something else to compare it to, preferably something that can move some air. :)

I would personally not recommend depending solely on the JH16's tough. Try to listen to your presets at as many systems as possible, this way it will be easier to hear what is really going on in your sound.

But if you feel comfortable with them and you know what they sound like then start with them but have something else to compare it to, preferably something that can move some air. :)

Good call that :encouragement:

I have the same IEM's and they sound great! :) Although I rarely use them these days because I'm the only one with IEM's in my band, and with blasting monitors and amps on stage it gets way to loud to have the source that close to you.

I hear JH Audio make fantastic products across the board. I'm not sure what you mean about having the source that close to you, the body of the headphone acts as an earplug, blocking sound, so you're able to have the IEM at a much lower volume in your ear than you could achieve any other way.

Don't get me wrong, ideally I would be able to try a heap of guitars in a world-class studio and on world-class stages, but I suppose what you are suggesting is something more along the lines of try the guitars with the Axe-Fx II and JH16s but also with any other amps I can get my hands on?

I do my presets with my k12, and they translate pretty well to my iems (triple driver and really flat). Last gig, the sound guy just brought up the fader, done. I seem to have more luck dialing in with the the wedge, instead of with just the iems.

I'm planning on getting 2 x QSC K10s and 2 x QSC KSubs for front of house at the moment. I heard the K10 coupled better with the KSub from what I remember. There really needs to be a massive audio warehouse setup in each capital city where you can plug and play all the different gear in studio and live environments so you can find out what combinations really work rather than having to rely on forums or sales/marketing information.

I do mine using IEM. Westone Um3X. Sounds almost identical to the powered monitors and PA. You can also run the IEM louder therefore, gettting a better indication of what they might sound like through a loud PA. 90% of the time, the mixing guy just turns up the fader - done.

Most powered speakers are pretty flat nowaday. Really the difference between them is their coverage and whether they distort when pushed at certain frequencies. QSC K Series boxes all sound similar in the guitar band - 100hz to 4K.

Back
Top Bottom